1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only Mobil 1 For My Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusgto, Aug 19, 2016.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first few months we owned our new Prius we could easily hit the 70 MPG range on our 45-55 mile round trip into town with our best ever at 72.4. Then in April I did the first oil change at 3500 miles using genuine Toyota 0w-20 oil and filter. Immediately after that first oil change the ICE developed a rattle for about 1 second on the first start of the day and only the first start. I figured it was either the timing chain tensioner or a vvti cam gear being affected by cold oil flow so a few weeks later I changed the filter to a Fram ultra synthetic but the rattle was still there. I also noticed that the easily attainable 70 MPG now dropped to the 65-69 range but didn't worry about that either as it was getting warmer out and we started using the AC more often.

Now 3500 miles later, getting ready for a long road trip (4 to 5K miles) I decided to do another early oil change. Since Mobil 0w-20 AFE was on sale I used it along with another Fram synthetic filter. The next morning, yesterday, I started the ICE and didn't hear the rattle. Today, same thing, ICE started without a peep and, on the first trip into town since the oil change, achieved the best ever 73.5 MPG, and with the AC on.

Coincidence? Fluke? Hard to tell this early but I'll keep you all posted.

DSC01661.JPG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been a mobil one guy for almost 40 years, since i first started putting it in my 1972 fiat 124. good stuff.

priusgto likes this.
  3. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the duplicate posts. I was having a problem with my connection and the thing timed out twice and never showed the thread.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not you, it's me.:cool:

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange. You did the first oil change yourself, bought the oil, saw the bottles?

All I've use for DIY oil changes (on our 2010), about eleven so far, is the Toyota 0W20 and their oil filter, no problems.

But I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns. Anything that could be missing from this picture? do not know..

6. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes, I do all my own maintenance and don't trust those teenage oil changers, who traded their Fisher-Price tools for Snap-on, to touch my car. Guess it's the aircraft mechanic in me. I bought the oil and filter for the first change at the dealership, still have 1/2 a quart left and will just use it to lube my gate hinges.

Do you start the ICE before you drive or just let it start when it wants to? After I power up the car, I step on the gas once to get the ICE to start before I drive it and this is when I heard the rattle. Hard to hear it if the car is moving before the ICE starts as my drive is gravel.

#6 priusgto, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine have alays started within a few seconds of powering up. those were gen 2's. the pip starts as soon as you hit the hv button, so, not sure if it's like the lift back.

ETP likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just start and go, engine invariably starts around 15 seconds (typical 3rd gen behaviour). We use a block heater almost without fail, but not 100 percent.

It's a stumper. Bad batch or mislabelled?

ETP likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mobil 1 rebate of $12 off on a 5qt jug Request Rejected

That reduces oil change costs dramatically! You have till Oct to buy. They don't list walmart as a participating vendor but I submitted them last time and it wasn't rejected.

ETP and priusgto like this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you look at the specs (which were posted here a few years ago) I believe the Toyota is "superior" in the sense of being lower viscosity at cold start temps. So your observation suggests that could still be true. Presumably Arizona may not need that, but if you lived in Northeast in winter you might want that.

After that I have no idea if a little noise is considered a good thing or a bad thing. The best quality would presumably have lower viscosity at low temps, and higher visocity at high temps (hot). The best quality would also retain viscosity without too much breakdown.

Hey I always use Mobil-1 by the way. If Wlamart had the Toyota as coveniently I would consider that too though.

#10 wjtracy, Aug 19, 2016
    Robert Holt and ETP like this.
  11. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the 411 fotomoto. Walmart has the 5 qt jug for $22.88, I bought two so if the 12 dollar rebate applies I'll be doing like they do down south, chittin in tall cotton

The odd thing is that even when I was down in Phoenix where overnight temps were above 80 the rattle was still there on the first start.

ETP likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got my first two 'free' oil changes at toyota, and two mobil 1 since then. never noticed a difference.

13. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I was told by my local dealership that they use a bulk 0w-20 oil and the brand varies. They also said the Toyota oil doesn't come in bulk so they normally won't use it for dealer servicing unless the customer requests it. Quite possible you have been getting Mobil 1 from the start.

#13 priusgto, Aug 19, 2016
    bisco and ETP like this.
  14. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mobil 1 full synthetic 0-20 here since the two free ones on 2011 with 163k on it. The car still goes in between changes without having to add and without it being low on oil every 10k. I guess I got a good one. My 2015 does not go down in between changes so far but only got 18k on it.

bisco and ETP like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On a New Owner night we did a walk-thru the service bays with the service manager. He described their bulk oil as Toyota, noted has a distinctive amber tone.

I'm buying their bulk oil now, it looks the same color in a graduate, and I believe my invoice is saying it's Toyota. They treat my bulk purchase as a service item:

image.jpeg
    (It's an 8 liter purchase, there's a sneaky volume adjustment to accommodate a price quote.)

ETP likes this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's consistent with what I am saying though, the Toyota is (according to past info) lower viscosity (thinner) at low temps so concievably it is less clingy on the metals parts at 80F but it'll get pumped over the parts pretty fast upon start-up.

ETP likes this.
  17. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On my 3rd oil change running Enzo 0-20 w from toyota OEM 0-20w mpg read out and scangage ll around 47mpg actual calculated 41mpg off by 6

18. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was told by my local dealership that they use bulk Toyota 0W-20 oil, "made for Toyota by Mobil1."

ETP likes this.
  19. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, the specs are different but the dealer I bought it from uses/advertises Pennzoil. Not sure what they use back in the shop. Some use 55 gal drums or larger and some use the plastic bottles. No way of knowing unless you walk into the oil change bay and get run off. Could bring a movie camera and say it is a Prius Chat interview.

priusgto likes this.
  20. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    BTW/there is a post somewhere on the exact specs. Looking.