1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only one USB slot?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pbasch, Oct 13, 2018.

1. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was a little vexed when I found that the 2018 Prime+ only has one USB port, under the armrest outside the console. Inside the console, where I keep my iPod in the tray, nothing. So the cable has to snake out from the console to the port. Not horrible... but awkard. I have to use an adapter from the 12V plug to provide power for my phone, which I use for navigation.
    Also... only one 12V "cigarette lighter" style port. Or is there one I'm not seeing?
    Finally, my old 2014 Plug-in Prius had two glove compartments, one for papers etc. This not only has only one, but the manuals have doubled in bulk! I suppose I could put the manuals in the trunk somewhere.
    Well, I love the improved safety features.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn’t there a 12v for rear passengers?

3. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There a cigarette plug right behind console for back seat folks. I plug double usb into it so each passenger can plug in,
    In front I use usb and wife has an adapter plugged into front cigarette plug.
    Yes, it’s awakened.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are regular Prius comes with more than one USB? How about other car models? PRIME is the first car with built-in USB I owned, and my understanding is this USB port is not meant to be used for charging but rather be used as connectivity to audio device, such as MP3 files on thumb drives or for ipod. I have 12v-USB adaptor for charging needs.

5. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our other car, a 2016 Chevy, has 3 USB ports. All have the ability to charge the phone or project the phone for Android Auto. Older car than the Prius but superior connectivity.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it's true that infotainment is where Toyota lags behind many other car makers. And that is the feature I don't really care much. Come to think of it, before PRIME, my previous Prius Two (2015 Gen3) had single USB port and it was big jump from the car before, 2008 Civic Hybrid which had no USB and no Bluetooth. I was use to having only one USB by the time I got PRIME. Technology is something it's nice to have but don't need it in the beginning. However, as you start using it so often, you become dependant on it. You get spoiled with technology. ;)

#6 Salamander_King, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the tip about the passenger 12V port! I'll definitely put a USB adapter in there. My old car was a Plug-in Prius, and it had the USB port inside the console where I kept my iPod. I guess now they expect you to use your phone, which you wouldn't hide... Oh well.

8. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have/had two Toyota Venza’s. An 09 and a 13. Only the 13 had a usb and it barely charged an iPhone much less an iPad. They are meant as an audio connection for non Bluetooth devices imho.

#8 schja01, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018