1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only SBC codec through AD2P for Entune BT connection :(

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by sorka, Sep 11, 2019.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Was listening to some music on my android paired to a Prius Limited and was dismayed to hear the familar bad audio due to low bitrate SBC compression.

It's a shame that Toyota doesn't support Apt-x. I'm sure at least on apple, they support AAC but that doesn't help me as I have an S10+ and my wife and daughter with their iphones won't care about SQ one way or another.

I couldn't find anyway to get the entune app to transmit audio over USB. Is this just not supported or is it my model of phone?

2. klaberte

klaberte Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I will get my Prius Prime 2020 soon (late Jan), so can verify all this after that.

First, the issue is not with SBC, but with the default of your phone and the BT receiver in your head unit negotiating a low bit rate (officially called Medium Quality) of SBC. Higher bitrates of SBC sound almost transparent. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell your phone to negotiate the higher rate. There may be another solution if you are willing to use a different ROM on your phone. Read more here (or ask me, as I've spent way too much time studying this and related info):

[Search for an article on habr with title "Bluetooth stack modifications to improve audio quality on headphones without AAC, aptX, or LDAC codecs".]

Second, you should be able to choose your BT Codec on your recent Samsung phone using the developer options. If you don't know how, ask me, it is really easy. That should pretty much fix your issue right there.

Third, I will likely end up getting, a old iPhone that will live in my car, as my new Prime still doesn't offer Android Auto, but does support Apple Carplay. I'll provide it wifi by using my Android phone as a hotspot. I can buy a cheap iPhone on ebay. Who cares if the screen is broken if it is just going to be hiding in your car's glove box? :)