1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open back door while in ready?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Andy631, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Andy631

Andy631 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I couldn't see a thread on this anywhere.

Is there a way to open the back door while the car is in ready? I don't thing there's a trunk release or the equivalent & touching the handle on the back doesn't work until I turn the car off.

Obviously, this is a good safety feature, but I'm wondering if there's a way to open the trunk without turning the engine off since I live in Winnipeg, Canada and 6 months of the year I keep the heater running in the moring as we're getting ready to leave the house (-14C or 0F forecasted tonight, or what we call "spring weather") :cautious: :cry: :mad:

Thanks!

2. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Not totally sure if its the same on the c but I've noticed a similar thing with my v, the inability to open the rear hatch once the car is running if I just open the drivers door. Only way around it I've figured is to manually unlock all the doors when you open the drivers door. Apparently you can have the dealership change it so all the doors unlock when touching the drivers door handle. For me I've just trained myself to push the unlock button on the inside door when I get in if I need to access anything in the back. Simple fix :)

3. jwestfah

jwestfah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've done this a few times and didn't have any problems. I just parked, got out, and opened the hatch, without shutting off the car. Maybe I manually unlocked all of the doors and don't remember. I know that I closed the door after I got out, maybe that makes a difference?

Andy631 likes this.
  4. Andy631

Andy631 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh good call jwestfah, I did hit the unlock button as I got out but I think one or more of the doors were ajar as we were moving stuff from the back seat to the trunk area. Thanks!

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is a setting on the 3/4 head unit that will unlock all doors when you shift into park. I never have the issue the OP mentioned because of this.

6. Andy631

Andy631 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I've seen that...but since I manually hit unlock that shouldn't be the issue. Anyway I'll test it out in about couple hours.

ztanos likes this.