1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everybody

I recently purchased a second-hand Prius T4 (2007 model) and I noticed that the red triangle exclamation was showing on the dashboard. Initially, my local mechanic found a P3000 error code and a B1801 error code.

I ran techstream on it just last night and the main errors that came out were:

Current codes:

Srs airbag B1801 - open circuit in driver side circuit

Air conditioner B1421

Transmission control - C2318

History codes:

HV battery - POA84

I also have just found out that this car was in a major collision in 2012. The air bag light is constantly on, along with the red triangle exclamation, on the dashboard.

The fuses for the battery fan kit, horn, and air bag needed replacing (I think all three but definitely two of these)

I have done a lot of research but I can't seem to get to the root cause of the problem.

Could it be that the open circuit on the driver side squib is draining the 12 volt battery and then this is having a knock on affect? Because the battery seems really weak.

Is it the whole squib which needs replacing? Or just the spiral cable? Or maybe even the ECU? Could the crash have damaged some of the sensors for the airbag maybe?

Is there any way for me/my mechanic to carry out some tests in order to determine the exact cause within the B1801 error? Toyota will charge a bomb to just tell me what the issues are. I'm happy to go to them as a last resort but ideally would like to become self-sufficient with my car.

I thought it was the hybrid battery but it still could be - I just need to figure this all out.

Thank you so much for your help.

Many thanks

Sam

2. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just to add to my last post - the data sheet for the SRS Airbag screen, on Techstream is showing:

Driver Seat Position = Bkward
    Driver Buckle SW = Unset
    Display Type information = DP
    Number of Past DTC = 1

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam a little more information to help us help you. Where are you located as you state you have a T4 Prius, this being a UK model designation.
    The airbag open circuit is often caused by the connector in the steering wheel not being fully home, but can also be caused by the clock spring.
    Replacing any blown fuses would also be a good place to start with problem tracing.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for your reply John.

I'm based on South West London (near Clapham).

The car turned out to be a former Category C write off. I know i should have checked all of this before buying, and now the seller has disappeared off the face of the earth! What a nice man ey.

I cant afford Toyota's fees and i'm okay with following instructions and mechanical stuff - but i just need to figure out what the main issues are. From what i can see so far, with the battery fan, horn and airbag fuses being blown - i'm assuming that the main hybrid battery fan must have been working hard to cool the HV battery down as it may have been over-working in order to charge the 12v battery, which was being drained by the open circuit in the driver side squib? Thats just a guess.

I'm not replacing the 12v battery until this "open circuit" is closed because otherwise it could just drain the new battery aswell (?)

I'm attaching a PDF which lists the potential areas of problems but i'm struggling identifying the exact issue. Is there any way for me to test each area (spiral cable, steering pad, ECU, etc) to see which area it exactly is?

thanks again

Attached Files:

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 12 volt battery will not be drained by an open circuit. A short circuit can rapidly do this although this would normally cause a blown fuse in that circuit.
    I have circuit diagrams for the US Prius but believe for most purposes these are the same as the UK Prius except location of ECU's ect being on opposite sides of the car (part of the reason for asking location) so will check to find witch fuses do what to try and guide you.

I think the aircon code B1421 is issued if you check the vehicle out of daylight so is not really a problem. Does the aircon work?

Leave it with me for an hour and I will see what I can come up with.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam I have just had a look at the circuit diagrams for the battery fan, horn and airbag.

There is a grey wire from the battery fan 10 amp fuse to the fan relay in the rear of the car, if this wire is damaged (shorted to chassis this will blow the fuse. There is no other logical reason other than the battery fan is seized or jammed by dog hairs ect for this fuse to be blown.
    To check this remove the fan relay in the back of the car and either replace the fuse (if it blows it is this wire shorted) if it does not refit the relay checking the fan for free spinning.

The same process can be carried out with the horn 10 amp fuse (but the horn relay is in the fuse box).

The airbag fuse is labeled "IGN fuse" and is under the dash above your right foot it is rated at 7.5 amps replace and see if it blows as this directly feeds the airbag ECU

Hope this is of some help, but just ask if you need more.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is so helpful John - thank you :)

okay - whilst i'm at my desk - i just had a few extra thoughts:

The chassis on the right side/driver side, behind the tyre doesn't look like its been fully straightened out properly as its got abit of a curve in it. Is this maybe the problem? Could the car be thinking that the car is bent and so has crashed, therefore keeping the air bag circuit open?

Also, this B1801 code is down as both "history" and "current" in techstream. So maybe they tried fixing it before but then it went back to square 1 again?

RE the fan for the HV battery, that was down as a history code so maybe that got resolved, although i will check it out

feel free to share any additional thoughts that you may have - its all much appreciated

thanks again John

8. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    also - a friend of mine from the US reckons that it could be the ECU for the air bag assembly? maybe it needs resetting or re-fitting but what if the bend in the car just sets it off again.

one thing at a time i guess...

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The airbag system is not set off by distorted bodywork, but by deceleration/acceleration sensors mounted around the vehicle. So replacing the fuse will be ok. If the airbag ECU has not been reset or replaced it will show up as a fault code. There have been a number of reports on PC when clock springs have been replaced or new airbags fitted of "open circuit drivers side" so worth checking out making sure the connectors are fully home.

Finally you are correct you will find this less of a problem if you tackle things one at a time giving you more confidence when you solve one problem to carry on to the next. There are many good people here that will help you but patience will be a must. Do you have and know how to use a multimeter as this could save you time?

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam as I first thought you can forget the B1421 error code for the aircon as it is just a daylight sensor code.

The C2318 can just be a low 12 volt battery code and a known problem is the negative battery cable being loose where it is fastened to the body.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Genius! Thank you.

Yes - the aircon bit makes sense as i did the testing quite late last night (in the dark) - plus the aircon works fine.

few quick points in response to your messages:

1 - i have a small yellow volt testing unit made by Helix (model DT-830B) which has 1 red cable coming out of it and a needle on the end, and another black cable with needle type thing on the end. It can measure voltage/amps and i could probably learn how to use it. Is this what you mean by multi-meter? Would I stick one end into the positive part of the fuse and 1 end into the negative? Which side on the fuse socket is +ve and which is -ve? Also, what would i be looking for?

2 - having done the onscreen diagnostic test for the battery, it last showed 11.8v without any other functions in use. I'll check if its tied in properly/connected to the car body, but if not, i'll replace it. I think it may have become damaged due to being left open during the months that the car was being fixed after having been written off? Anyway, I'll double check and find a replacement battery (any suggestions of the best one to go for?)

3 - how can i check that the sockets have been plugged in properly in the clock spring etc? Would you know which areas i need to check and how to undo them?

4 - also, if it's speed sensors that set off the air bags, then is this car safe? ....because i'm assuming that the collision would have damaged the sensors on the driver side half front of the car. Is there any way to fit new ones at all?

I have quite alot to test, so I'll get preparing and feedback to you shortly.

Thanks again for your help :)

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam.

(Point 1) Yes thats a multimeter. If you set the knob to "20 volts DC " and connect the black lead to a bolt anywhere on the body of the car and the red lead to the battery terminal or any "live" connection it will read the battery voltage.

(2)Yes that battery has had it and may even be causing some of your trouble codes. (C2318) Varta do a Prius battery for around £40 if you wish to keep costs down Exide also do one at a little more cost and the Toyota battery is about £90. I believe you should invest in a battery as quickly as possible so that your testing is done with a known good battery. I can give battery part numbers if you need them. If you buy a battery let me know and I'll run through the fitting of it, It's not difficult but must be connected correctly the first time and wrong connection can do a lot of damage.

(3)The connectors are inside the steering wheel so that needs to be partly dismantled. There are full instructions with pictures here on PC that I can guide you too.

(4) The airbag sensors if damaged or missing will issue a fault code. New ones can be fitted as they fasten to the bodywork and simply plug in, but at this stage do not concern yourself about these I can point to where they are fitted and what they look like if and when required.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  13. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bless you friend.

Thank you for your help John - you're too kind.

Okay - a part of me is very tempted to test the fuses first (alot on Youtube about this but i'm new to it) but lets go with fitting a new battery and then take it from there. I'd be grateful if you could talk me through it. Once it's arrived, I'll give you a shout. Would you be kind enough to maybe email me your contact number? I'll still carry on updating this thread with my progress.

A side note - but the guy who sold me the prius has done a poor job on fixing the body work and so if we can have a conversation about fixing the areas of concern alittle later on, that would be much appreciated.

Okay - gonna buy a decent battery with a decent warranty.

Speak shortly :)

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'll update you on batteries in a few minutes.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam, best deal I could find quickly.

Bosch S4022 Prius battery, 4 year guaranty £47-95 delivered. Ebay item number 281067733011
    This is a quality battery.

If you wish to find a battery yourself, the battery must have JIS terminals (small) and the positive terminal (red) must be on the left with the terminals closest to you. Many batteries advertised are the wrong way round and for the gen1 Prius. The battery must also be fitted with a vent tube point.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  16. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks John

I'll probably go with your recommendation, but i came across this Varta one (item number: 370570483080)

which one of these two would you go for?

i'll order once you've given me the final verdict

cheers

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To check fuses with your meter:-

Turn the knob to the 200 ohm range (marked with with what looks like a tunnel)

If you join the two leads together the reading will go to zero.

To check fuses, pull out the fuse and connect each lead to one of the legs of the fuse (one leg one lead).

If the fuse is ok the reading will go to zero or very close to zero (0.1 or 0.2) if it reads higher (no change to the disconnected reading) the fuse is no good.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam looked at that one, and it's fine.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, i got the wrong end of the stick - i thought i was supposed to test the actual sockets in which the fuses sit (doh!).....okay well i'll check the fuses for good measure too....but for some strange reason, all the options work well on my multi-meter but on the 200 Ohm option, it just turns off. Maybe a bad battery on it - it is pretty old i guess.

i'll buy some mini fuses from ebay aswell...

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The problem is almost certainly the 9 volt battery in the meter.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.