1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wise words from a wise man

Thanks John - yeh, I'll be doing it all in my stride now, although I'm abit of a perfectionist and like my things to be in the best working order possible, in the shortest timeframe.

Addictive behaviour ey

I really appreciate all your great support - may you always be rewarded with the best of the best. Amen

2. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This car is so sweet!

It drives like an Air-Craft!

I managed to use a shell of an empty biro pen to stick into the Positive side air-vent, and then attached that to the right-angled tube connector on the car with some mechanical tape. It looked okay. I also plugged the Negative side vent back up with the small plastic bit that came with it. Initially I took it out because that's what it said on the instructions.

I'm going to get working on the front water pumps and lights as soon as I get a chance, but for now, I need to get back onto the things that I've neglected since starting work on this car.

I sorted the damper. It seems to work okay now.

The car needs a good wash too - but I'll wait on that for now - or atleast after I've put the tints on it. I need to look into the laws and regulations on which windows are allowed to be tinted and which ones are not.

Weather's lovely today too :) hope you're enjoying it :)

3. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just a quick one - but isn't the 2007 prius supposed to have 2 round lights in the lower grill, at the front? My one doesn't seem to have them..could this be just another skipped step in the crash repair, by the last guy?

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No the T3 and T4 do not have the fog lamps only the Tspirit. Believe me no big deal they are useless I am going to change mine out for spot lamps when I can find some the correct size.

The Tspirit comes with (extra to the T4) sat nav, reverse camera, auto reverse park assist, bluetooth phone, 9 speaker stereo with separate amp, uprated suspension, and fog lamps.
    The T3 only gets a single CD player and no cruise control and only 4 air bags instead of the 8 or 9 on the T4 and Spirit models.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmm - interesting...

I was gonna ask about things like sat nav and bluetooth actually...

is there anyway for me to somehow install these features onto the onboard computer of my one? Or is it an actual hardware change that would be needed? Either way, no big deal as I may just get a standard TomTom sat nav.

I'll be carrying out more work on it tomorrow morning. I'm knackered for today. Need to get those front washer pumps sorted though.

6. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    out of interest - is it normal for a round red circled exclamation sign to come on the dashboard when the hand brake is on?

It goes away when I take the brake off

8. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    by the way - I just checked and it was the small light on the passenger side that doesn't work... Could this be the fuse or do i need to replace the bulb?

forgot to check back lights but I'm assuming they're okay because it was only this light that came up in my local mechanic's check up (when I first got the car)

9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RE that red light on the dashboard - it could even be to do with un-even tyre pressures, because I noticed that the front passenger side tyre was pretty high, on 52 PSI. I drained some air out of it but then thought I'd ask you about it later. I got the other front on 40 PSI and the backs are on 38 PSI.

The back brake pads look like they have abit of rust on them aswell, so it could even have something to do with that even (?)

Just some thoughts

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have not checked out fitting a camera to the non camera Pius (already having this) but do not believe it is quite as simple as made out in that advert. For a start something must tell the multi function display (MFD) to switch to the camera from whatever screen it is displaying. However there are a number of threads here on PC on how to do this mod. I will see if I can provide a link.
    Normal operation of the parking brake warning. The side light out is almost certain to be the bulb, but sometimes it is just a poor connection at it's base and moving the bulb cures the problem.
    Are you talking about the rear discs when you say they are rusty. If so this is very common on the Prius as they get used so little.
    Normal braking is regen braking "the car generates electricity when you brake and stores it in the HV battery for use when running on electricity in exactly the same way as formula one cars it is called KERS (kinetic energy recovery system)" this means the car does not normally use the brake pads and discs above 7mph.

The brake pads last a very long while not unusual to last 250,000 miles. The down side is the discs go rusty mainly on the rear.
    The cure for this is to put the car in neutral going down a long hill and use the brakes or get the car up to 50mph (no more!!) put the car in neutral and brake. This forces the car to use the disc brakes "regen braking is deactivated" and this helps clean up the discs.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do not think your car has TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system). It was available as an expensive extra in the UK but standard I think in the US. The light as I said before is the parking brake warning light.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  12. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW! I had no idea this car had KERS - that's awesome! Yep, it was the rear brake discs - but it's okay - I'll stick it in neutral down a hill and pump the brakes.

The tyres are really confusing me on this car. Why would the last guy have put the front tyres so high on PSI!? I'm assuming I should even the front one out to match the other front. The fronts have always been high for some reason.

The other thing I just noticed was that the insultation under the bonnet looks like it's been glued on and when I touched it, it felt fragile, and so I left it. I didn't want to tear it. I was trying to pull the water pump tube out in order to test it. I'll have to figure out another way to do this tomorrow morning. That insulation looks shoddy - and yet it's a 50 pound part if replaced!

Looking for a steering lock as we speak...need something solid for it

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    May sound a stupid question but why are you looking for a steering lock.

John (britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  14. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hahahahahhaaaaaa

well, I just thought it would be a good thing for added security....

in general, my area is okay but there's way too many "tea leaves" around at any given moment and so I felt it would act as a visible deterrent.

also - forgot to ask - what sort of chemical comes out of the car battery's vents? and why do they recommend removing both of the tabs? I only have 1 removed and that's for the vent. Thinking about it - I may check up on it tomorrow because that biro hole wasn't the biggest and so I need to make sure there's enough of a hole for the gases to leave without pressure building up

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even the tyre pressures out to about 38psi front and 36psi rear or go a couple of pounds higher for better economy but a harder ride. The chances are one of the wheels has been replaced from a breaker hence the different pressure.

The Prius has the highest Thatcham rated security of any hybrid car. About the only way of steeling it is lift it with a crane.

Check out Toyota Prius security. Once you you turn the Prius off the front wheels are locked with no way of freeing them unless you dismantle the transmission and if you put the parking brake on the rear wheels won't go round either unless you get into the car.
    I can understand the visual deterrent but there is no way unless they have got your fob anyone can drive off your car and I do mean anyone. They are more likely to damage the car trying to get the steering lock off.

The only reason for the vent tube on the Prius battery is in the very unlikely event of the battery being over charged by a fault in the charging system any gas produced is vented under the car. The gasses produced are oxygen and hydrogen The components of water H2O in very small quantities and at very low pressure. Under normal use there are no gasses. The unused hole should be plugged so that any gasses go down the tube. The two holes are connected along the top of the battery.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  16. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John, you should lecture on this sort of stuff - you'd be such a great teacher/lecturer!

:)

There's a major shortage of people like you

....hmmm, right, okay - it looks like i may pass on the steering lock. My main concern came from the fact that when I purchased this car - on the advert on AutoTrader, it showed a picture with 2 sets of car keys but I only received one. I tried to raise this with the seller before he disappeared. He said that he didn't have the 2nd pair. So I just thought that as a backup plan, a steering lock would be a decent idea......are there any other ways to reset the security without incurring a huge cost?

I'm still trying to find a spare battery but struggling.... I may put a call into Toyota on Monday, but I'm sure they'll be happy to quote me a ludicrous price

17. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i keep on saying "battery" when i actually mean "smart key"

18. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good morning

I just managed to clean out the windscreen washer nozzles and they have started squirting but their squirt is very weak and doesn't get anywhere near the windscreen. Could it be that they are still partially clogged?

How would I unscrew them so i can maybe leave them in some washing up liquid over night?

19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when i pumped water out through just the tube, the water flying out was pretty weak - could it be a clogged water pump?

is it repairable?

20. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    all sorted

I mixed fairy liquid with water, and used an old toothbrush to rub this into the nozzles....left it for a while, then returned to blow air through the pipes under the bonnet. It started making screaming noises and then 2 holes opened up - i then re-applied some more fairy liquid soapy water and then came back with a water bottle this time, and attached its mouth piece to the tube - squeezed the bottle and lo and behold, all 4 holes on the nozzle opened up and water came squirting out!

I used the same method on the other nozzles and it worked a treat!

This is a good method to use - beats alot of the others that are listed on the internet.

Yipeeee - another fixed problem!

:)