1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of interest - why is it that the air con blows out hot air after initially blowing cold air? I even turned the temperature down but it really ended up hot!!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You don,t need me any more.:cry::cry:

John (Britprius).

Sam Dean likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you say the aircon blows out hot air do you mean with the aircon turned on in ready mode set at maximum cold? (It must be in ready on the dash).

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hehehehehe - well what can I say, I really enjoy your company :). ...not to mention it's lovely keeping in touch :)

Ermmmm, yeh, I think so, it was on READY and I turned my windows up, pressed the aircon button on the steering and a cool breeze came out but then it turned hot. A small car smbol with aarrow circulating within showed up on the dash aswell. I noticed this problem reported on the web too. I'll have another look at it though.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok report back and I will give you some checks to do depending on results.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  6. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeh, very strange, when its in ready mode, and the temperature is on LO, the aircon blows warm air.

Very strange

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok three checks to start with:-

(1) Put the car in ready and before the engine starts up press the EV button. (this is only to stop the engine starting so you can hear whats going on). With the bonnet open can you hear a metallic humming moaning noise from low down on the front of the engine (drivers side).

(2) "Still as in (1) above" On the inner wing drivers side there is some metal pipework with a metal block with electrical connections and a small round sight glass can you see any liquid movement in the glass.

(3) Are the two electric radiator fans running and if they are is the air being pulled from the front of the car into the engine compartment or is the air blowing out through the front grill of the car.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  8. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    okey dokey - will get onto these checks as soon as I can.

I know that the car does make a screaming/siren type of sound when the car is on and the bonnet is up.

I'll check the other 2 tests later on...

Thanks John

9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be nice to get away from London - this place is way too packed and the drivers are alittle too unpredictable. It makes you not wanna drive at all, and just stick to walking/public transport.

It's just ill-educated people driving, without any logic whatsoever, and it's really starting to annoy me - more so because you have to pay a premium in order to own a car in London!

It would be nice to move to the sticks - we'll have a conversation about this at some point I'm sure :)

Speak soon

P.S. I'll go over those aircon tests tomorrow - I've been trying to get through alot of company admin over this weekend.

Sleep well - Good Night
    :)

10. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hiya

okay - did the checks...

1 - a low siren does sound when the bonnet is open

2 - i couldnt see any liquid movement in the round glass but could see it was wet on the inside of the round glass

3 - no fans were moving from what i could see

also - I wanted to test if the alarm on this car works... I read somewhere that you can lock it with the driver's window down and then try to open it - and the alarm should ring if it is activated. Mine didn't sound when I carried out this procedure. Once I've locked it, there's a red light (car symbol with a key in the centre of it) intermittently flashing.

I'm just wondering what other checks I can carry out now...

Thanks again :)

11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RE: the car alarm test - I re-tried the above method but this time I waited around a minute, until the dashboard red car light had starting flashing, and then opened the door from the inside and off the alarm went!

So that's another check sorted.

Back to the aircon...

:)

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The electric radiator fans are difficult to see, but with the A/C operating at full cold they should be running. Listen by the front grill you should hear the fans running over the noise of the A/C compressor, or put your hand down between the engine and the radiators you should feel air movement from the rads towards the engine. (nothing to bite you down there)
    While your there there is a metal pipe (about 1/2 inch dia aluminium) coming up from the compressor that joins a rubber pipe. (center front of the engine) Feel that pipe to see if it is cold.

When you turn the A/C off you should see some foaming of the liquid in the sight glass for a few seconds. Can you run those checks.

I also think you should open a new thread on this as we are now way off the original topic of the airbags.

John (Britprius)

13. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good idea - will do this now (the checks and new thread)

14. Andrew Gh

Andrew Gh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

I bought a 2010 Prius 3 months ago from Germany. It was brought there from the US.
    I noticed the airbag red light after a week and it seemed to go on and off randomly.
    I went to see someone about this and the error was:

B1811 Open in D Squib (Dual Stage - 2nd Step) Circuit

The man also dismantled my steering wheel to see what was going on. Turned out that the airbag had one connector and the steering wheel spiral had two. One of these was plugged with a tiny resistor (don't know the impedance, I didn't ask).
    Thus I found out that my "new" second hand car was involved in a serious accident and the steering wheel airbag was replaced with whatever was available.

I did a brief search on eBay. I found a 2-stage airbag at $250. Also, a fully equipped steering wheel goes for $450.

Bottom line: what can I do to spend as little as possible and still benefit from the presence of the airbag (and turn the light off)?

Many thanks,
    Andrew

#254 Andrew Gh, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is possible the spiral (clock spring) can be at fault going open circuit as you turn the steering. The ECU from memory looks for a resistance within the airbag of about 2 ohms so the resistor fitted should be around this value for it to work, and keep the ECU happy. Obviously this is not ideal as you say the airbag is designed as a two stage unit. You could position the resistor on the input side of the clock spring if the clock spring is going open circuit. Hope this helps.
    Replacing the airbag or steering wheel will not cure the problem if the clock spring is at fault.
    It may also be worthwhile checking the curtain and passengers side airbags are in place, and not "resistor ed out"

John (Britprius)

#255 Britprius, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  16. Andrew Gh

Andrew Gh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

What if I buy a single stage clock spring? Do you think it can be fitted with the actual ECU (and thus discarding the resistor), or does it expect to see a dual stage clock spring?
    I found clock springs at about 30$. I could afford that it it were a solution.

Thanks,
    A

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The clock spring is just a coiled up set of cables to put it simply. I doubt any other clock spring will fit with the connectors at either end.
    Finding out which connectors are the correct ones on the input side of the spring and moving the resistor to there or even connecting it across the output of the ECU would be cheaper and easier.
    The other alternative is to buy the correct clock spring and leave the resistor where it is. I cannot guarantee the clock spring is at fault, but if turning the steering makes the problem come and go this is the most likely cause.

John (Britprius)

18. Andrew Gh

Andrew Gh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I forgot to mention that the problem never occurs during vehicle operation. The light only appears at ignition. If it doesn't, then it doesn't.
    Also, there are weeks when the light does not manifest itself. I could not find a recipe to light it up, nor one to shut it down.

Thanks,
    A

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It seems likely that fitting the resistor on the ECU would prove things. If the light stays off leave it there if it keeps coming back on either the resistor is the wrong value or the ECU has a problem.
    The only correct way is to replace the airbag and work from there.

John (Britprius)

20. Andrew Gh

Andrew Gh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I solved the problem.
    I reckoned that the red light was from the B1811 error but it was not. When the mechanic repaired the steering wheel connection he accidentaly touched the knee airbag wire. When the car had the accident both the steering wheel airbag and the knee airbag were deployed. So the knee airbag was missing and a similar 2 ohm resistor was placed instead.
    So all the mechanic had to do is secure the connection between the resistor and the knee airbag connector and the light disappeared and never came back ever since (except when i start the engine).

Thanks for your help.
    Hope this helps other people too

A