1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no beep...

nee bother - i'll check how it goes on the 200 ohms level. I'm assuming that a cable with continuity will end up back at the default value (1 in this case), whilst one with resistance will hold some sort of value?

Its getting dark here now and tomorrow morning I'm out until mid-afternoon, so will hope to try then or on Sunday morning at the very latest. Is there a way for me to contact you, live, if i need you whilst stuck in the cockpit of the car?

cheers

2. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    battery arrived this morning - but it's pouring down over here and so i'll wait until it's dry before replacing. The current battery is still in good enough condition to tackle the other errors and so will work at those first.

As soon as the rain has stopped, I'll do some cable resistance testing on the squib circuit cabling and report back...

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do not forget to disconnect the 12 volt battery before starting work. You do not want to set off any airbags accidently.

Once you have removed the airbag from the wheel look carefully at where it plugs into the steering wheel as there have been a number of reports of the plug not fitted fully into the clockspring and bent pins where it has not been aligned properly when refitted. this may also be the case with the plug on the underside of the clockspring.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so close - but so far!

I got the 12v battery un-done (it looked in a bad state - will change tomorrow or in the week but not the priority right now), steering side panels - only to find that I didnt have the appropriate tool to undo those 2 side nuts!! That T-rex screwdriver or whatever they call it - i'll need to buy, then I'll give it another try.

i found more filler in the back aswell, so it looks like some sort of damage took place around the back aswell! Damn that guy sold me a right trashed car, and for an extortionate price too!! My fault though, I should have checked beforehand :( we live and we learn i guess

oh, by the way, that round dome-like panel in the center, below the dash with the ECU behind it was proving to be quite difficult popping out so i didnt force it. The bottom bit seemed to come out alittle but the rest was holding on.

Will keep ya posted

thanks

5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you think its worth me going to see toyota on monday? They have a spare slot then, or shall we see this through to the end amongst ourselves?

I just thought that they may be able to highlight any other areas of concern, but then again, if its techstream they'll use then no point as I have this already.

I wonder what it is they do in their "diagnostic test".

Hmmmmm

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam if you go to Toyota all they are going to do is what you have already done then charge you £100 if your lucky. If you continue with them they are going to throw parts at it until they solve the problem "parts equals your money lots of it" plus labour.

If you check these four wires out and find they are ok the next step is cheap "£25" and easy, and that should be the end of the problem. If one or more of the wires are open circuit and you are confident the connectors to the clockspring are sound you can check out the clock spring even if you have to ask your local mechanic to remove it for you. You can check this on your desk.

A replacement new I think is about £125/150, but I really do not think the clockspring it's self has a problem, rather the connectors (plugs to it).
    Do not loose faith you can do this, maybe a little out of your comfort zone but it is not really that difficult stick with it.

Do you have a friend or neighbor that might have a meter with the "beep facility" as this really would make testing easy, or if you have a Maplins store close by they have them for about £10. There staff are usually quite helpful.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're such a good guy John - thank you for your encouraging words

I know i can do this - i've done pretty much everything else in my little lifetime and so this shouldn't be too tough

I'll buy a Torx T30/screwdriver set tomorrow in order to undo the airbag and get testing.

Regarding this tester of mine, i was playing with it on a cable which i found just yesterday and on 200 Ohms, it was showing 0.06. Just as an example, is this type of reading healthy? The cable was pretty old. I think I tested a green strand on it. I'm more than happy to get a tester that beeps but if this one is showing readings that I can feedback to you, then it should be okay.

Today I was trying to pump the tyres on the car, and the back left tyre seemed to not allow air in. It looked pretty dark stained too. I'm assuming this is the core valve which is jammed? Would this item fix the problem (ebay item number: 230863526499)?

Also, on the PSI of these tyres - I read that the fronts should be at 35 PSI and the back at 33 PSI - but when i connected the tyre pump, the fronts were measuring at around 42 PSI but they didn't look over-inflated. I'm alittle puzzled on this. Feel free to share any thoughts on this if you can.

Thanks again

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your meter will be just fine. With the test probe firmly connected together the reading should be zero but slightly tarnished plugs where they connect into the meter can raise this reading slightly. Checking a length of wire as practice gives you an idea of what to expect. The manual for the Prius says for the test you are going to do the reading should be under 1 ohm for each wire in practice a reading of up to 2 or 3 ohms should not give a problem.

The repair kit from Ebay is the correct parts and tool for the valves on your car, but be aware when you remove the old valve the tyre will go down rapidly.

The recommended pressures of 35 psi front and 33 psi rear are considered here on PC a little low. Taking the pressures up does a number of things. (1) it improves mpg, (2) improves the handling of the car and reduces wondering in a strait line. (3) Improves tyre ware.

This unfortunately is at the expense of some ride comfort, but I run 40f/38r psi and find this a good balance.

If and when it becomes time to change your tyres have a look at my posts. Low Rolling Resistance replacement tyres (Europe) The choice of tyres you put on the Prius is critical to fuel consumption.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wish you were a little closer as I could sort the problem in half an hour, but I will support you all I can. I live way out in the sticks, nearest towns, Leominster, Ludlow, Knighton are all 10 miles away and I would not change it for the world.

I am going away for a week on the 22nd of this month but will take a laptop with me hoping I can access the net to keep in touch. Hopefully your problem will at leased have been traced by then.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  10. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John - yeh, i was telling my father about you, and he said it's a shame you're far away too - more so because i'd be able to treat you a nice sunday lunch and drink :)

Yeh, I'm sure we'll nail this before you go away - I just need that T-Rex tool which I've ordered off ebay.

I'll sort the tyre stuff and car modifications/tweaks once we've sorted this all out. It's raining down here (intermittently) and that sealant plastic thing at the bottom of the windscreen hasn't been attached back properly and so water is running into it - annoying. I need to fix this aswell.

All good - it's all fun :)

11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    slightly off topic - but with it raining so often, I dont want more water to seep in past the windscreen sealent rubber which is slightly raised away from the windscreen due to the plastic attachment being bent/damaged. I need a new one of these plastic compartments, but i dont know the name of that part. Would you know what it's called and where I could get one from?

Its that black thing through which the front windscreen wipers come out from.

Thanks

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I Sorry I do not know what that panel is called but I will find out.

Do not worry to much about water getting behind it as this will not cause a problem.

The panel to be watchful on is the plastic panel under the bonnet in the center over the back of the engine. This panel has a seem in the middle and if that seem cracks water drips onto the top of the engine and can find it's way down the individual ignition coils to the plugs causing a misfire. The engine ECU is capable of seeing this and issues a fault code and even tells you which plug is misfiring.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Think the part your talking about is called the "wiper cowl".

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  14. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    damn - well the seam is the part of concern. Basically, the passenger side part is in good condition but then the other half (driver's side part) is mangled and doesnt sit well with the other half. The part where they meet is not fitting together well. I was contemplating buying some sealant to stick into the gaps but then I thought I'd hold off just incase if that was the wrong thing to do.

I've been googling around and I've just come across this:

Prius heat-efficiency mods

still unsure of its official part name that i need to be asking breaker yards for...

15. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh my - yep you're right - wow they're expensive! £50 for one side!!! No wonder this was left in the state it is.

I'll have to call around for this part in the week....or maybe I could repair this one, but it just doesn't sit well with the other side, and with it raining 70% of the year in the UK, it could cause me problems down the line.

hmmmm

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you describe it to them it would be difficult for the to get it wrong. Some silicon sealant in black or clear would be perfectly ok as this seals well but peels off for dismantling if required.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  17. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfecto! Looks like I'm gonna be painting sealant all over it :)

it's good to know my art skills will come in handy somewhere in this project :)

thanks John :)

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam something you might be interested in at a later date when we have solved your problems.

sill.JPG rsill.JPG

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow - those panels look sweet!

What's their functionality?

I was thinking of fitting a door lamp at some stage, so when you open the door at night, you can see all of the floor around the entrance of the car. My friend has this function on his Range Rover Evoque and it looks slick.

I was also thinking about (not 100% yet) putting vinyl wraps on the car. The body work is okay but its been painted over, and although it looks lovely to me - the trained eye can very quickly spot that it's a poor paint job :(

but lets see...

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are lit but although very bright at night are only noticable in daylight. If you put bright LED's in the door lamps the Prius does that the OEM bulbs are to weak but you cannot use larger ordinary bulbs because of the heat produced. Another mod is to put LED spots in the bottom of the door mirrors wired to the curtesy lamps so they come on when you unlock the doors remotely.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.