1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh nice!

I'm tempted by quite a few mods - but problem is John - in London, it's best to keep things plain and simple otherwise you could end up attracting the wrong sort of attention. Or, I could tune up the car, sell it, and get a gen 3 prius (?) - but unsure if there's a major difference between the two.

Another point actually before i forget is that I'd like to fix my "banger" 1986 nissan sunny spirit. The head gasket is screwed. The car drives okay but the radiator ends up with oil inside of it from time to time. There are tons of videos on Youtube on how to replace a gasket but seems alittle complex with all the talk of torque-ing etc. I wouldn't mind doing some nice transformation work on that car aswell, especially as it's in such a poor looking state at the moment, but a really solid car. It would be so rewarding to see that car transformed. Just a thought.

:)

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got any pics of the sunny? had one myself but cannot remember what year.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  3. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is pretty freaky but basically, i couldnt find any pictures of it locally and so i thought i'd search the web for it, and i came across a picture of it, with a back-drop which looked like my road....and lo and behold, it turns out my poor car is famous and online! LOL!

i wonder who took this picture - hmmmm

This must be quite an old picture because the bodywork looks more like a faded brown and has abit of rust developing around its body.

hope ya like it - it was given to me by my father as a "run-around car". It's as solid as a tank - passes MOT everytime!

Attached Files:

4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just a side thought, but I'm pretty sure that the airbag red light went away right after I replaced the blown fuse for the airbag - but then it came back the following day....

this is what puzzled me most...

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have you checked the same fuse to see if it has blown again, and where was this fuse located?

John (Britprius)
    Yes thats the same car that I had except mine was the hatchback, I also had a Nissan Bluebird a great car in it's day. The engine was so well sealed everything under the bonnet that was not painted was going rusty including the oil sump.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  6. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmm - good point - i haven't checked....should have done

I'll be with the car later on today, just out at the moment. I'll check then

thanks John

7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i went out to check the fuses and realised that i actually only replaced the horn and battery fan fuses - not the airbag one

i couldnt see the airbag fuse in the front compartment - but even if it was blown - the open squib error is to do with that cable that I'm going to be assessing as soon as my Torx T30 tool turns up.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam on the circuit diagram I could not find a fuse marked "airbags" only ign fuse seems to feed the airbag system. This fuse is above the drivers right foot under the dash, but I believe you would have other problems if this fuse was blown. If your good at standing on your head you can see it. Keep me updated.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeh - I think I'll leave the fuse stuff for now - i'm gonna stick to the plan and that is to test those 4 multi-coloured cables and inspect the connections.....I reckon it'll probably be a broken pin/damaged plug point at the airbag connector but let's see. I think my toolkit should be with me by this wednesday - but you're going away soon too...

hmmm - okay - I'll do all the testing on wednesday/thursday and keep you posted

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As long as the car is usable you will be ok. I am out all day tomorrow "100 mile round trip to Stourbridge" but will log in about 8pm to check on things. When I get chance I will see if I can work out how that lower center panel comes out and advise, but hopefully when you can get the airbag off the wheel the problem may be obvious, and that step will be avoided.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks John - enjoy your trip

tomorrow should be pretty quiet as i dont have any tools

speak soon

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A further update, the fault code relates to the "D" squib circuit which is the 2 wires related to the black connector on the back of the airbag, but while your in there check out all four.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  13. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    excellent - thank you - that'll help narrow it down!

you're a genius - thank you for the constant good info

i can sense us getting closer :)

14. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm still waiting on my Torx screw driver toolkit to arrive! I think i should have it by tomorrow/thursday the latest....

once I discover the problem - what would i have to do to fix it? So for example;

1 - if it's a damaged pin on the connector?

2 - if a cable is shorted (either a connector cable or a cable within the clock spring unit)?

3 - if none of the above, then I'll assume it'll mean a new airbag ECU - or if nothing is wrong with the surrounding cables, then I'll assume a new clock spring unit...

thanks

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam,

(1) If the connector is damaged on the cable from the airbag to the clockspring and you cannot see any reasonable repair you can replace either from a breaker or new. This is not going to cost much. Or send the cable to me to see what I can come up with.

(2) If the clockspring is damage beyond repair the options are as in (1) Or again send it to me to see what I can do. The cables are not shorted they are open circuit.

(3) I do not think the ECU is "broken" because it is reporting a problem. The reason for carrying out the checks. If the checks prove the cables and connectors to be ok the next step is to send the ECU away for resetting. I know some people that do this on a same day return basis for around £25.

I have been in electronic faultfinding for more years than I care to remember and the only way to do this is in logical steps, otherwise you are shooting in the dark. So one step at a time, and when we find a problem we can deal with it one way or another.

John (Britprius)

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you get the airbag of the steering wheel there is another simple check you can carry out using Techstream.

On the black connector on the end of the cable that fastens to the airbag connect the two terminals together with a short piece of wire or paper clip "you must be sure the terminals are connected together".

Turn the car on connect Techstream and clear the codes. Turn the car off. Turn the car on and the same code should not come back if those two wires are ok.

There may be a different code but you can ignore that. If the code is the same those wires or connectors are open circuit.

John (Britprius)

17. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back after a hectic day...

Okay - this is excellent information as ever. Thank you John.

I should have my tools tomorrow and so will open it all up then at some point I hope.

RE the connecting of the 2 pins within the black connector - I'll do it with a bent paper clip and some masking tape to hold it in place.

I've ended up alittle busy with work but will definitely try to do all of this tomorrow.

Thanks again

:)

18. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay - so I finally found time to get inspecting and troubleshooting only to find that my car wouldn't open via the remote car key so i used the manual key to open it. I tried to start the car but it wouldn't. As I had already purchased that Bosch battery, I spent 45 minutes un-doing the old battery, and when I went to open the box for the new one - there was a water-type substance all over the top of the plastic bag and the battery, inside the box!!! Abit of it got onto my finger and I felt a horrible burn and immediately went to wash it off with soap and water.

I have contacted the people who sold it to me. Lets see if they can replace it, but my problem with this is that it may end up getting damaged in transit again, especially as it's coming from up North (Manchester I think)....but I don't know of any London places that are selling this type of battery at a reasonable cost, hence why I went online.

It's getting alittle dark over here now, so I'll inspect the airbag cables tomorrow morning and report back.

What a day ey :)

19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I got the air bag compartment out and disconnected the connectors. These looked in good condition but I noticed that the actual cables with the airbag connectors had a green and yellow tape wrapped all around them. This looked alittle alarming straight away.

I am attaching a picture of the cables with a green and yellow tape wrapped around them, along with the ECU compartment in the middle, under the central part of the dashboard - the first picture being a distant shot and the 2nd one being a close-up through the gap - I'm assuming that this unit at the bottom (through that gap) is the ECU? It looks like it has lodes of cables coming out of it....I also couldn't see an easy ways to remove this plastic cover - but to be honest - from seeing the condition of these airbag connection cables, I think we can see the culprit. Is there any way to test these cables locally instead of going all the way down to the ECU with the multi-meter?

I know you mentioned that bent paper-clip method, but my battery is flat and I'm now awaiting a new one which will probably take another few days. I could charge the old battery and re-use it (it's currently sat outside in the garden), but to fit it all back in is a mission, so I'd rather spend my time fitting a new one.

Thoughts welcome

Attached Files:

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam, Am now away on holiday and have found a WiFi hotspot but it is a bit intermittent. It certainly looks like you have found the problem "that to be honest I suspected all along."

In picture one with the two taped up cables should have a plug on the other end (next to the two white plugs at the top of the picture) Is it still there and can you unplug the cables at that point.
    This is the connection point to the top of the clock spring. This cable (pair) can then be replaced either new or second hand from a breaker.

Alternatively if the plugs on both ends of the cables look to be in good condition, send the cables to me and I will repair them correctly and return them to you. If you decide to send them to me send them straight away and when I get home next weekend I will repair and return them first class on Monday.

This I'm afraid looks a real botch job, but it can be fixed. Will continue in about 30 minutes.

John (Britprius)