1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just tested it.

I think my multi-meter may be alittle nutty...

It never seems to settle on one value. I turned it to the 200 Ohm level and connected it the black connection terminals and it finally looked like it was settling on 0.05 / 0.06. I then placed abit of Biro plastic onto the far right connector and then measured it, and the figures went through the roof. It was showing large numbers but never settling on one figure - it went all the way from 305, down to 5 - it never settled in value once. Maybe it was because I was shaking alittle?

Unsure how much this helps :(

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam to save time I'm jumping the gun but I am sure the air bag will check out ok. When you have done testing make sure to remove the temporary tube.
    So the only thing left is the black connector it's self. The only ones I can find new are in the US but one taken from almost any car from what I can see will do. The most obvious cars to check are Toyota's it does not have to be a Prius.

Just snip off the black plug and solder it on in place of yours. Connect the air bag then the battery clear any codes and see what happens.

Connectors see Ebay search "Prius air bag plugs"

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the reading went down to 5 ohms that sounds ok. It needs firm contact to get the reading low. If you read my last post that I'm sure you have by now that is the way to go. The black connector is not making good contact as simple as that. I can see no other reason. Let me know how things go '

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is there any other way to fit that connector on besides using a solder? I haven't done this type of thing in years

I could attempt it but don't wanna screw it up

but then again - solder will probably be the only way to ensure it sticks

5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have a look at the selection that comes up on ebay.co.uk when you enter the following (below)....shall i get a fresh pair of that whole yellow cable? I think its like 18 pounds...

TOYOTA AIRBAG CLOCKSPRING WIRE PLUG

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buy some wire crimp connectors from Halfords or your local motor spares shop and use those.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Those are the same ones I am looking at, but they are in the US and come as a pair. The set at the top come with the sleeving but I do not know how the fit on the clock spring as there does appear to be a connector on that end or on the clock spring and costs £29 with postage.
    Using crimp connectors as in my previous post I believe is the best way to go. You can buy the plastic flexible tubing in Maplins and the crimp connectors so use the ones at £6.50 + £9.30 postage or go to your local breaker.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  8. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow - you're good!

okay - I'll order all of this stuff tomorrow.

I had an idea a minute ago but i dont think it'll work - but here it goes anyway:

i thought - how about if I stick a paperclip into the connector, only a small piece - into each of the 2 small sockets, so that when the actual connector is plugged into the 2 points on the airbag, the tiny bits of paperclip stuck inside the connectors make direct contact with the airbag connector .......and bob's your uncle, phany's your aunt (?)

this was just a thought, and more of a potential test to try whilst i waited for the bits to come through

what do ya think? am i getting as good as you ;)

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One other small thing. When you replace the plugs make sure you connect them in the same wiring order as they are now. The colour of the wires on the new plugs may differ to what you have now, this does not matter as long as each wire goes to it's correct position.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In principle this could work, but there are two problems. The major one is that you might break off the pins on the air bag.
    The second is when you fit the plug to the air bag it not only has to connect to the pins but it also has to push away those little gold strips if it does not do this the system will not work. So if the plug does not go on fare enough the air bag will not be activated.

Those strips are there to deactivate the air bag when it is in storage by shorting the two pins together, the reason for the plastic tube when testing.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thought so - yeh - was more of a brainstorming idea...

I'll call a few local spares/breaker yard places tomorrow as shipping from the US is looking unecessarily expensive

I've been reading up on how to use cable crimpers...

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam you will probably be better off going to a breaker for these parts. After reading the Ebay add for the parts the delivery could be up to three weeks.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is an alternative to cable crimps they are called scotch locks again available at Halfords, Maplins and motor shops look them up on ebay. Just put in scotch locks.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  14. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been calling around different breaker yards this morning and the majority of guys just recommend going straight to Toyota, and another couple didn't see any profit in such a part and so told me they can't get it. One guy mentioned that if the connector worked with a paperclip, it could just be a case of spraying some contact cleaner spray onto the actual contacts and giving that a try. I only have a 3-in-1 multi-purpose thin oil which I'm happy to use but unsure if i should use oil on live circuits.

I'll see if I can pick up one of those contact cleaners alittle later on. Might aswell give it a go...

15. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmmm - another guy I just spoke to from a breaker yard said that if cables are broken and re-joined on these airbag systems, then the polarity is changed and it throws it all out of sync and therefore will stop working by default (?)

He reckoned that even if I changed the connector - because cables have already been re-joint, it won't work.

I personally think he doesn't know what he's talking about, but wanted to share this info anyway....

...it's funny how alot of breaker yards are referring me to ebay!

16. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a thought, but I have a feeling that the guy before us also pin-pointed it down to the connectors and replaced them, hence why they have been twisted on and taped up (?) - because why else would somebody replace connectors? Unless if they get damaged when the the air bag detonates?

...and maybe this is why it was a History code already - because maybe they had fixed it with these new connectors but then the error code later came back because it was a deeper issue within the clock spring (?)

This is me just thinking like an investigator...

Also, I looked at both connectors very closely and they looked okay to me - plus having stuck a paperclip in there, the open D squib circuit error was still there but in a different form. This all makes me wonder.

I did manage to find a breaker yard in Essex who had those connectors but then I had the above thoughts and stalled for abit...

As always - thoughts welcome

17. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ordered the connectors and will have to go pick them up at a local pick-up point tomorrow. Will pay £10 for them when i go to pick them up. No harm in giving it a go....I just hope I'm not going over the same ground the last guys went over - because their map got them lost.

Shall I unwind the cable twisted connections, where they last carried out the replacement of these connectors? I'm thinking that I may aswell do it here with some of those scotch locks, and it'll look cleaner than his work too.

18. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The multi-meter was crazy last night but I don't think I let the figures settle fully, and so i re-tested the airbag just now and after waiting for the readings to settle - they eventually slowed to the following figures (set on 200 Ohms):

a) Without plastic tubing fitted on one of the terminals: 00.5 / 00.6

b) With the plastic tubing fitted on one terminal: 00.8/00.7/00.6 - and I think I saw a flash of 00.5 aswell

I hope this yields some more information for us

19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry - my mistake - on the last test, I didn't click the plastic tube right in there, i.e. it didn't separate the connection between the gold post and panel. Just re-did it and found that when the plastic is firmly in - the readings eventually settle to around the following range:

03.0 to 02.5

I think this confirms that the airbag is okay (phew!)

okay - so tomorrow, I will purchase those connectors and some scotch locks, and see how I get on

:)

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam those are exactly the readings I would expect, confirming the air bag is ok.

Going back over things the paper clip removes the open circuit squib code. Proving that the wiring and connectors all the way from the ECU through the first connector on the clock spring the clock spring it's self the outlet connector on the clock spring and the wires up to the squib connector.

Now we know the air bag is ok and if the connections between it and the squib connector were sound no fault would exist. The air bag would in effect replace the paper clip to complete the circuit.and give the same effect. This is the basis of the whole test procedure eliminating every working item till we get to the point of failure

Cleaning the connector may cure the problem, "contact cleaner can be bought at Maplins"but a better solution used along side cleaning is to dismantle the connector and close up a little the small metal tubes in the connector that push onto the pins sticking out of the air bag. The important thing here is that the connector is fitted on the air bag properly and clipped into place fully.

You can do this indoors by untwisting the join in the wires to remove the connectors from the car. You can check your work by connecting the air bag "no need to bolt it back in place" the readings across the unconnected wires should be the same as you measured on the air bag with the plastic tube in place "ie" 02.5 to 03.0 If all is as it should be refit to the car then connect the 12 volt battery and make the car ready. Clear any codes, turn the car off then turn back on to see if any codes return.

Your breaker is talking out of the part where the sun does not shine, often done by some with little knowledge, but often done thinking they are being helpful, and not maliciously.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.