1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Door warning light stuck on

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris BoydB, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Chris BoydB

Chris BoydB New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My open door warning light is stuck on and I can't lock it now. I've checked all the doors and the hatch. The doors were fine but the hatch door seemed to lift a bit. I tried to flip the latch open and closed to be sure it was working and now it is stuck closed so the hatch really won't latch. Two problems here, 1) how do I get the latch mechanism to go back to an open mode and 2) the light will probably still be on and the car probably still won't lock.

I did check the hatch latch for foreign stuff stuck in it, took of the plastic cover over just that portion.

Ideas? I'm on vacation so this is an extra glitch as I have lots of stuff in my car--having to haul it in to where I am staying. I'm also worried that now the hatch will flip open while driving. Will see if I can somehow tie it down before I go on the freeway!

2. Chris BoydB

Chris BoydB New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay. I watched 3 Youtube videos on how to unstick the hatch latch and the link below is the best. So that part was easy. But the open door warning light is still on and I can't lock the car. Have yet to find a YouTube video to fix that one!

Here's the vid to watch to unstick the latch

#2 Chris BoydB, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2021
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a write up from 2011 on a Gen2 for the hatch latch connections repair that fixed the issue for him.
    Door Open (Ajar) Warning Light Staying On: REPAIRED | PriusChat

If you can follow the descriptions in that thread and start at your hatch latch. if you find the hatch is not the issue it should give you ideas about where to start looking at the door latches.

If you're mechanically inclined you may also want to get a 2 day subscription to techstream (i think it's still $20 for the standard 2 day subscription) at
    techinfo.toyota.com
    which will give the best info about how to repair the issue. Possibly even step by step diagnostics for the issue besides just the wiring diagrams.

4. NorCal PiP

NorCal PiP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    That was a good heads up. To my amazement, I found a 3/4" sheet metal screw wedged into the latch mechanism. Extremely difficult to remove but I managed.