1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Prius C hatch from inside the car?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Andrea the Strange, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Andrea the Strange

Andrea the Strange Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi folks! This is my first post.

I'm on my second Prius C. I like to camp in the back. I want to open the hatch from the inside instead of going in and out of the side doors to push a button and pop the trunk. I can only find videos for the various full-size Prius models. I've Googled. I've tried to MacGyver it. I've accomplished nothing. Has anyone been able to do this? 20200826_105200.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    From what I recall (when I had the hatch cover open to replace the license plate bulbs), there is no mechanical linkage for opening the hatch manually from the inside. IIRC, if that servo motor fails with the hatch closed, it will remain permanently closed.

The only way I can think of is to splice in a bypass switch in parallel with the external push button switch. There is a harness that plugs into the servo motor which opens the hatch. You will have to figure out which one of the cables in that harness go to the switch. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

3. Andrea the Strange

Andrea the Strange Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you so much! I admittedly understand very little of what you're talking about because you are clearly adept at this whereas I am not, but I appreciate it anyhow, especially since it gives me an idea of who I might be able to turn to for help. I'll update if I'm able to get this done. Thanks again!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. topshot

topshot Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Did you ever get it done?

5. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I could probably figure this out... but.. it's very low on priorities list lol like something ot do right before i die if i have done everything else lol