1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OpenEVSE compatability confirmed for PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mitch672, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I built an "OpenEVSE" and was originaly intending to use it with an EV, but I ended up with the PiP. I have verified the EVSE works with the start timer setting, and there is no issue with compatability, in case any of you where considering building one. The nice thing about it is, it's L1 or L2 compatable (just build different AC adapter cords for it), and its capable of up to 30A L2 (way more than the PiP needs now), total cost was under $500

Google Project home: open-evse - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

Compatability list: OpenEVSE_Compatibility - open-evse - OpenEVSE is known to be compatible with: - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

Waiting for the timer to start, after being connected to the PiP:
    [​IMG]

Charging the PiP
    [​IMG]

In use..
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, thanks for posting/testing.
    Might have to have a student team build one as a project..
    (Could buy a L2 for a bit less.. but as a learning project maybe worth it).
    Looked at it last year but was unsure of going down that route because of compatibility concerns. OpenEVSE shows compat testing for Leaf, Volt and Pip.. so seems good now.

What was your part cost breakdown?
    I just checked ebay an there is an EVSE plug for < $200, which I though was by far the biggest item.

J1772 Cable and connector EVSE side | eBay

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done mitch!

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I'll get a detailed BOM posted, but yeah, the J-1772 connector/wiring was the most expensive part, was $261 from Avnet + about $9 for shipping. Be careful with J-1772 parts from eBay, many of them are Chinese imports, and some have "dimensional issues" (they are slightly too large/small), also some of them don't have the switch/resistor for the proximity disconnect built in... Also, those cables are not UL approved, not that it matters, but for a $45 difference for a new, known good connector/cable, I wouldn't bother. FYI, the same seller has the ITT 30A cable assembly I bought from Avnet for $270 total, for $350 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J1772-30-Am...aultDomain_0&hash=item3a72d5c385#ht_500wt_689

You can certainly buy EVSEs, but not many will have a display that works as well as OpenEVSEs does, and is as expandable as OpenEVSE (you could add a Bluetooth or Wifi module, if you want remote control/setting capability, for example)

Chris Howell (who designed and sells the OpenEVSE parts), is rebuilding an EVSE from a manufacturer who did a terrible job, he's using just the case, AC line cabling/plug, and of course the most expensive part, the J-1772 cable assembly/connector. See the post below for pics:

My Nissan Leaf Forum &bull; View topic - 240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

2 people like this.
  5. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Fantastic. I'm still on the fence about building one and with your success, I'm leaning toward building one. I'm still trying to figure out what is the minimum configuration so I can't wait to see your bom.

6. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mitch,
    I think a lot of us want a cheaper charging cable. I am a little nervous about building one though. I am pretty good with my hands, but have had no experience doing this type of stuff. I looked at the OpenEVSE web site and the directions were a little intimidating for a guy that owns all of the "For Dummys" books. :)

Do you have experience doing this kind of thing or a newbie like me? Did you get "stuck" following the directions on the OpenEVSE site? I'd go build one today if I were confident I could get it done.

7. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I started building electronics kits when I was 13, so I have a lot of experience. With that said, some of the parts come assembled (such as the OpenEVSE PCB, since it's mostly surface mount components), other boards where soldered, such as the AdaFruit RGB LCD display, and the OpenEVSE advanced power supply, but they are not that difficult to put together. Other than that, it's your ability to do some mechanical assembly, drill holes in the case and mount/wire components... It's not that complex. Look at some of the examples in the Wiki, I will be posting the BOM there soon.

1 person likes this.
  8. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to see all the electronics stuffed in the power head itself. At least for Level 1 (L1) use. Then we could get rid of that expensive custom cable and use a heavy extension cord like is done on some Bosch power tools that don't have attached cords.

1 person likes this.
  9. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where can you buy an L2 EVSE for less than $500? Please share!

11. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry, that was an aside, and I did not mean to imply anyone could get one at that price, volt owners can get one from https://homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=7&menu=14

It might be nice to have a L2, but it is not cost effective or even really that convenient. Even at $500, I was/am still not sold on getting one -- been using just my L1 and its fine for my needs.

I agree with mitch672 the openEVSE has some interesting potential advantages -- expanding it to have wifi for remote multi-car reporting (I'll need to dig into specs.. wonder if there is car-specific data anywere in the protocol, or maybe just use bluetooth and require a phone to activate it).

The idea of having students build one (and extended it to have WiFi) might make it easier to get campus to install one (as a student project) and for me to justify the cost for me (as educational investment). Getting one on campus is more about promoting EVs than the actual need. I'd expect campus would want a more advanced unit than a SPX,

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    This is the cable/J1772 connector assembly I use and it's prime quality.
    Good for 32Amps no problem. UL listed?, no but I do NOT care. The price is right
    My home made EV vehicle conversion it's not UL certified either........

13. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    no problem mrbigh, I just opted to go for the ITT cable assembly, since it was $271 + $9 for shipping ($280 total), I don't seem to remember them having them for the $225 when I was looking, as long as it works for you, great. I do like that it is 29' in length, as opposed to the ITT which is 18', I made up for that by using a 10' 10/3 AC cable for the AC input to the portable EVSE :)

14. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I don't care at all about UL.. but what about the dimensional variances that were mentioned. If I did this for campus it would need to work (eventually) on a wide range of vehicles. People would be annoyed if their car did not fit because the student-built ESVE was out of spec.
    On which cars have you tried it?

15. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    DR.....
    I tested the open EVSE with my PiP, a friends's Volt and my Bradley GT-II converted to electric.
    While the electronics conform to the SAE J1772 standard, it is a go with any vehicle.

16. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.. I knew from the open EVSE page the electronics worked. i was more worried about the "non-UL" and slightly out of spec connectors on ebay.

17. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  18. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Oh, yes I remember, I had to tweak the connector shroud a little bit to gain full insertion of it. A minimal inconvenience.
    I will dugout a picture and post it.
    The offending part it is the top shroud above the mechanical latch

Attached Files:

19. ServiceSolutionsEVSupport

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    drinnovation, SPX offers a wide variety of charge stations including the recently launched Power Xpress Bollard, pedastal style, charge station. The charge stations are offered at a competitive price point starting with the GM Voltec at $490 and then increasing price based on desired features. Please contact us if you would like to discuss some of the various options available. 877-805-EVSE (3873) ~ Melinda, SPX EV Support Team

20. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base