1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opening engine after knocking!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nedim, Nov 16, 2014.

1. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They couldn't help me. I only tried one dealer but I am pretty sure the other one in my area will give me the same answer... I was hoping someone here can give me the answer..

2. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay so the old engine is out of the way. New one just arrived today. Waiting for some gaskets and I am getting ready to install it. But I have two VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS !!

1. So my transmission is still in place. It was pretty easy seperating the engine from it. The question here is do I have to lock them in a specific place when I attach them back together or it does not matter ? I don't see any marks and I am using the Haynes manual and it does not mention anywhere for that ? ..

2. The engine I bought is with 25k miles looks like brand new(compared to mine after 200k miles) the oil has been drained from it I guess when they took it out from the wrecked car, that could be a year ago. SO the question is what is the procedure to lubricate the engine before I crank it for the first time. I guess I will stop the fuel pump and disconnect the sparks and let it spin for a little bit so the oil pump can lubricate it..Is this a good Idea.

Thanks to everyone ! :)

3. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Not sure on that question, but from what i know mg 1 and 2 rotates faster then the engine and at opposite direction of the engine rotation and since the engine has a clutch between the Split power device it can disengage it self, so probably not.

2. Open your valve cover lubricate the cams with engine oil just coat the cams with some oil, with it next remove the spark plug and add 15-30 ml or 1-2 Tablespoon of oil into the spark plug hole next slowly rotate the engine 2 full cycles (8 rounds in the direction of the engine rotation) next inspect the camshaft and all of its related component (ie roller bearing lifters) for surface rust, next then drop the oil pan check for any metal fillers in the oil pump pick up line, replace the rear crank seal with a new one. Reassemble the oil pan and add oil into the engine, and you should be good to go. As you mention in your post you can remove the spark plug and fuel pump and let the MG 1 rotate the engine for a few seconds, but you may have a DTC (check engine light) or a check hybrid system warning light appear, or option two you can rotate the engine using via crank bolt.

#23 A617, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. You do not need to lock them in a specific place.

2. Running it without fuel to circulate oil isn't a bad idea. I would put a couple of ounces of Seafoam in each cylinder, spin the engine by hand a few times, put the spark plugs back in, and spin it a few more times. Popping off the valve cover and pouring some oil on the camshafts isn't a bad idea if you have the time.

-Avi

5. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, finally the new engine is in place. There is one issue and it is a big one. The car won
    t start, I am getting code U0293 which is related to "The Controller Area Network". So it is either a wire harness or the ECU. I tried to clear it with scangauge it won't...I ordered the OBD usb cable used to scan with Techstream. I downloaded the software but I am not sure if it works or not... will have to wait for the cable. ..

So does anyone thing that this is a code that is stored in the ECU and just has to be cleared or there is damage somewhere....Everything is attached I double checked.

IMG_20141211_144114962.jpg IMG_20141212_171757637_HDR.jpg

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That u0293 is related to the HV ecu not been able to communicate, check the HV ecu cable, battery voltage.

7. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which one is the HV ecu cable ?? Voltage on traction battery or aux ? Aux is fine.

8. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know where the HV ecu is i was quoting off a site that was saying possibilities of that code appearing. I'll try to some research on it though.

I want to clarify when you say the car won't start, you mean the

Everything turn on as usual but the engine is turning but dose don't run or

when you push the on button and nothing happens no lights turn on on the instrumental panel or

when you push the on button the everything turns on as usual but the "ready" symbol is not turn on.

Also did you open up the battery? There are some grounding points that will prevent the ecu to turn on if the battery was opened and not closed properly

#28 A617, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  9. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The instrumental panel turns on the prius logo boots and then all the "gear" symbols flash at the same time and there is a message that says to check the hybrid system and park the car in a flat space.

Yes I did disconnect the AUX battery and Before I started the whole project I removed the orange plastic "fuse" from the traction battery and now I installed it back... other than that I haven't removed anything from the battery.

Thanks

10. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about the traction battery are you able to see battery level indcator on instrumental panel display. if so is it at least 2 bars on or more?

I'm thinking, not actually the problem but, the traction battery may have been depleted, because the power management control ecu is located in the traction battery, see link below in technical detail tab, with very low or no power in the traction battery than perhapse it may cause the HV ecu not to turn on and not to communicate. That's my wild guess.

http://www.aedve.info/cutaway/hbjba/index.html

#30 A617, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  11. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Check for a blown fuse

12. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just went down to my garage to check if it shows state of charge.. 0 bars and SOC on Scangauge II won't show anything... My guess is that there is juice in the battery It won't show it ... because Scangauge II should show zero or a small number at least It can't be completely dead. I left it at 60% after two months in a garage depleted battery doesn't sound right ..

13. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Traction batteries will deplete over time even if its no in use or unplugged and 2 months is quite some time for these types of battery to hold charge, Theres also a low power safeguard that prevents the HV from operating if the traction battery power falls too low its there to protect the traction battery, and or the HV power management is only powered by Traction battery and not the aux battery (which also acts as a safeguard measure) with low power its not going to turn on, Your Best bet is to get that traction battery charged, the dealer is the only way to do it, i dont know of any other way that you can do w/o damaging the battery, towing the car and pressing the brake to regen is not going to work because the Power Management Control ECU (which manages the regen and discharge of the traction battery) is not going to turn on therefore the brake regen function is not going to work. Second option is to borrow or get another traction battery to get it started, however this will be a very expansive route.

#33 A617, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  14. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    you can charge the 7.2v cells individually with a hobby rc charger but its on the dangerous side

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a seller advertising grid HV battery charger. $300 IIRC. Simple search should show it.

Edit:
    ATTN ADMIN: the search is not working at all here. Probably google search should work.

16. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By orange plastic "fuse" do you mean the service plug? If so, make sure you slide the lever back over to the right after locking it in place. I believe failure to do so would result in no connection to the HV battery and no-start condition as you describe. Agreed in that sitting for 2 months did not empty your HV battery.

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The HV ECU is in the Hybrid Battery box part of the battery assy.

And like wynn says there have been countless issues with people not doing the last locking step when re-installing the orange safety plug on the side of the battery box. I am not familiar with the G3 lock it may be different than the G2 which I know how to do.

It is strange that's the only nag its throwing but really nice work so far. You tore that biatch up!(y) We love pictures the more the better.
    It will greatly contribute to our database.

Robin312 and F8L like this.
  18. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would definitely double and triple check that the orange safety disconnect on the HV battery is completely seated and closed (and that you know all the steps to do so). This seems to be a pretty common problem on the Gen 2's at least, to not get it completely locked down and closed after removal.

If that doesn't seem to do it, you should be able to pull the battery cover and measure the voltage (carefully) with a DVM. There should be two contactors (big relays) that isolate the + and - HV lines from the battery when not in ready mode. If you measure the voltage between the two on the battery side (rather than the side that goes out to the vehicle) you should read 0V when the safety plug is out (though the high impedance of the meter can give you a false reading here), and something above 200V when it is properly locked in. That will give you confirmation that it is locked correctly, and a rough idea what the SOC of the battery is.

Rob

19. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok I was trying to figure out how to get the voltage but it is 0 on the connectors facing the front of the car so I guess the ecu will drop voltage there only when it is in ready mode( like you said). So where exactly should I measure it ?

Btw. Yes I am familiar with the service plug it is locked the way it should be.

20. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok this is what I got. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those the two sections of the battery that the service plug separates? So if I SUM the two numbers I am getting 213v which gives me an idea that there is plenty of juice, right ?

IMG_20141215_191028253.jpg IMG_20141215_191226134.jpg

#40 nedim, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014