1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operating a blender in the center console power outlet....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MM.87, Apr 25, 2018.

1. MM.87

MM.87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi.

As most of us know that the fuse for this outlet is 15A so (12V*15A=180Watts) I decided to buy the only blender I found on the net under 180watts "Hamilton Beach 14 oz single serve blender" to make smoothie on the go! It is rated 175Watts. I have DC to AC inverter and nothing else is hooked to it except for the blender while blending. Well after 4 delicious smoothies; the 15A fuse just died today and I replace it with 20A fuse. Is there any harm for doing that? I know it may cause melt/fire with high load on a bigger fuse but I only got the blender to be connected to inverter while blending and it 175w while the 15A could go for 180w but I didn't know why it went out.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, don't burn down the house for a smoothie.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never replace a fuse with a higher rated amp. Lets say for example a cable is rated for 15 amps max, if there was no fuse connected between the cable, the cable will ignite or burn into flame if the current exceeds 15 amps. With a 20 amp fused inline, the current will obviously flow through but the cable is now carry more current than it was designed/rated. If all conditions are met like weather, age of cable, etc., the cable can lit up at 19 amps and catch on fire, the 20 amp fuse never had the chance to break.