1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operation Spare Tire

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, May 15, 2021.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    20210515_152136.jpg 20210515_153240.jpg 20210515_133942.jpg 20210515_153259.jpg 20210515_164806.jpg Operation Spare Tire completed - ordered wheel (Part 42611-47631) from Toyota Dealer ($78.43+$24.77 shipping), tire (T125/70R17 98M) from Onlinetires ($71.02 free shipping), mounted at local tire store ($14.99) - $189.21 total. Will use spare when going out of town/long trips. Will store behind driver's seat. Spare tire weighs 22 lbs.

jzchen, mquiniones27, phlack and 3 others like this.
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to the club.

Marine Ray likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got the spare for our 2019 off of Craigslist for $40:).

Came out of a 2015 wreck;).

Another way to get what you were looking for(y).

4. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's a good deal. I got mine off of ebay but it was $97 including shipping across the country. Mine is used and had a few miles on it but nothing serious and it has "like new" tread on it and has held pressure for over a year now.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mine was never used:).

I did have to put the spare on our 2019 once due to a metal shard:cool:.

Made the investment in the spare justified(y).

Valiant V likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, welcome to the club. I saw your FB post but didn't comment. There are cheaper ways to get one, but at least you have one. I'd be leery of keeping it unsecured in the car, though. It would be a nasty projectile in a collision. The Prime doesn't have tie down rings in the back like the other models, but there are two threaded holes at the front of the cargo area, one on each side. My spare is strapped to one of those by a D-ring I bolted to one of the holes.

That's about what I paid for mine on Ebay, shipped across the state. It looks like it's brand new. Still has the ink or paint on the tread.

jzchen likes this.
  7. GabrielD

GabrielD Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V
    Good job.
    Now, I woiuld like to ask you kindly to write a message here whenever you will use this spare...
    My guess will be "never".

Valiant V likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you tie all of your cargo down all the time:whistle:?

I have mine loose in the hatch area and with the headrests up (I very rarely have them down) there is no open path to the passenger area;).

And if I am in a bad enough accident where the spare tire becomes airborne and makes it into the cabin, I probably have other concerns:cool:.

One alternate perspective (y).

9. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You're probably right. Unfortunately I've already had two flats. But now that I've got a spare, I won't have another flat :)
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've spent two years holding off on getting a spare for just that reason-potential projectile. Then I rationalized that I never strapped down my luggage in the back or that tool box I put in the back seat. :)

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While true, I'm in the camp of minimizing downtime;).

If I have a flat (which I did while having the spare) I have the means to safely make it to an area or business to address the issue :).

I also carry a plug repair kit and compressor, so that if the business that I take it to won't repair the tire, I have the means to, or purchase a new tire if the reason for the flat is bad enough :cool:.

I work near the county recycling center, so nails and screws get picked up in tires more than I would like:(.

But the spare tire has more value to me for that reason (y).

12. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You're right. I also carry the plug and compressor. Ditched the OEM flat repair kit.

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's heavy, hard, and also small enough to get over the back seat, I might make an exception for a short trip at non-highway speeds. But something that's always there like a spare tire. Yes, I keep it strapped down if I can.

And unless I have back seat passengers, I keep the rear headrests folded down because otherwise they block almost half the view out the rear. Not just any half -- the outer edges where you want to be able to see when you change lanes. They are a huge blind spot.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    +1

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Of course. That is "Murphy's Law".

Valiant V and jerrymildred like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I change lanes, I usually look to the lane I am changing into;).

And this is in a state where motorcycle lane splitting is a thing:eek:.

While the headrests do have some vision blockage, I am hauling kids around from time to time and raising and lowering the headrests is an extra step:whistle:.

It doesn't block enough to cause accidents, otherwise it'd be all over the news(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course. But what about someone coming up and around you? The more you can see, the better off you are.

I get that. When my M-I-L is here visiting for a couple months, the headrests stay up. And I adjust. It's the biggest reason I'm considering upgrading to a Limited as soon as I can manage it. BSM doesn't replace the shoulder check, but it's a nice backup. My wife's car has it and I want it!!!! :)

BTW, I'm seeing more and more lane splitting here even though it's illegal (not to mention stupid).

Raytheeagle and Marine Ray like this.
  18. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are going to sacrifice the rear seat footwell for a compact spare tire anyway, you could have bought a full-size spare tire. It will take up more space in the foot-well but due to its size, it fits perfectly wedged in place. If you fold down the rear seat with a headrest removed, it becoming projectile would be very unlikely. Plus, with a full-size spare, you have no limitation of 50 miles/50mph max. That's why I took my full-size spare for my long trips. The compact spare's 50miles/50mph limit will make it impossible for me to get to where I intend to travel on schedule. And there are many areas along the way 50miles is not long enough to get to the nearest repair shop. Plus, an aftermarket full-size rim and a cheap tire would be cheaper than your compact spare. I paid ~$50 for a generic rim and mounted used tire with plenty of treads that had to be replaced in pair due to one tire having an unrepairable flat. Total cost ~$75.

upload_2021-5-16_11-42-11.png

#18 Salamander_King, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Ovation, phlack and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good points, thx. I had considered a full size spare also by wanted to accomodate both my spouse's and my seat adjustment. I tend to have the seat more forward while she has it way back. I like your cover, where did you get it. Just curious, how much does the full size spare weight?

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If someone is coming up behind me and the moves to go around me, I can see them in the middle of the rear view mirror;).

Out here in the Bay Area, there are plenty of people who attempt to justify their investment in an expensive automobile by accelerating as fast as they can before we get to the next patch of traffic, so what you describe is an every day experience:cool:.

I check my mirrors frequently, like we were taught to do when learning to drive:).

And using mirrors frequently is good practice when having to drive a box truck when there is no rear view mirror to fall back on:whistle:.

As someone who hasn't owned a pickup, rentals do occur from time to time and the acclimation to that environment is less thanks to good habits(y).

jerrymildred likes this.