1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operation Volvo Seats In A Prius Part 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Wildkow, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Shhhhhh! :tape: Please don't do that! :tape2: If something goes wrong I will swap to the original seats and hope to get it repaired under warranty without having to go through the hassle of proving that the Volvo seats didn't somehow cause the transmission to fall out or the Traction battery fail. :whistle: :rolleyes: LOL!

Wildkow

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The color codes are posted in my volvo seat thread. The wires involved are red/black/brown/purple.

If memory recalls red / black are obvious and brown was ground and purple was positive.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Success!!

The Drivers side seat is now installed!

[​IMG]
    The Black and Red wires next to the console are the temporary power wires which are attached to the Black and Red power wires down near the right front seat mount attachment point and will be replaced when I finish the passenger side.

[​IMG]
    Another view notice the washed out color on the seat belt release? That's from the junk seats I bought at the Junk Yard, why they just leave seats out in the open is beyond me.

[​IMG]

Close up view of the controls. Memory function is disabled but since I drive the Prius 95% of the time no biggie.

[​IMG]

Fuzzy back view of the Volvo seat with the Prius seat mount attachment points welded onto the Volvo rail. The 2005 seat lined up perfectly with the steering wheel and with the controls on the correct side.

[​IMG]

Simple back view for comparison.

[​IMG]

Original Volvo seats I purchased for $300.00 notice the two black boxes toward the bottom of the picture? Kiss them goodbye.

[​IMG]

Here is the new setup. notice the Prius seat mount attachment points welded to the front of the Volvo Rail. I will also have schematics of this wiring layout after I get back from our Roadtrip.

[​IMG]

It takes eight relays to drive the four motor eight way adjustable seats, with heat but no :eek: lumbar support. Discovered that after I had purchased these seats. :mad:

After my wife and I get back from a 9 or 10 day roadtrip I hope to have this sorted into a better DIY step-by-step format with wiring schematic, tips, fabrication and other helpful hints. The rest of the pictures not incorporated into the post are mostly seat mount points. I will label them and give you better instructions for how to attach to the Volvo seat when I get back.

Wildkow

Attached Files:

4. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! Soooo defensive! I took the post to mean that Toyota needs to be aware of the extremes Prius owner's are going to, to have comfortable seats in their Prius' and that maybe they should consider stepping up to the challenge. But, then I could be wrong! I suppose I just have too possitive of an attitude, and choose to read it as a compliment. I'm actually rooting for you guys' But, then I can't read Jefferykb's mind, so you may be correct in assuming that he was dis-ing you. I remember how I got jumped on for what I intended to be a simple question.
    Believe what you want. I think you're doing a fantastic job and like following your thread. I broke my promise to myself to not post here again. But I had to compliment you on your stick-to-it-tiveness. And remind you that alot of PC members are also rooting for you.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL! That's the problem with trying to effectively communicate sarcasm, humor and even anger on forum's like this. Unless your a Hemingway or Joyce Carol Oates people misinterpret the intent of your written word and think when you're trying to be humorous that you're being a butthead. This, as is my case, happens a lot when you are a butthead trying to be humorous. In any case that's why I use the smilies to try and convey either seriousness, humor, anger or something else. :D :mad: :confused: :p [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope that helps! :yo:

Wildkow

p.s. the PM joke was :pound:

p.p.s. hey man don't reinstate that promise post here as often as you have questions or something to add.

6. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like I should listen to some of my own advice. And learn more about smilies. Thanks, it does! :yield:

7. jeffreykb

jeffreykb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No offense taken at all... :) However, dwreed3rd is right about..."I took the post to mean that Toyota needs to be aware of the extremes Prius owner's are going to, to have comfortable seats in their Prius' and that maybe they should consider stepping up to the challenge."

It reminds me of the Saturn sedans that had "cheap seats" for years. Even with the auto magazine reviews that would mention it, Saturn still continued to install the "cheap seats".

If the passenger seat is not installed before the road trip, Wildkow are you sharing the driving with your wife? A better question might be...are you sharing the Volvo seat? :D

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is always an open invitation to sit on my lap, which invariably leads to an interesting conversation, usually about the first thing that pops up! :pound:

Actually I would have the passenger seat already installed but the cost to have Electric Labs (EL) do this ($2250) was just too much. Almost all the cost was contained in Labor and much of that was the time taken to figure out what to do. I had EL do the driver seat and install all the relays for the different seat motors an this cost me almost $1100 but once again most of the cost was contained in labor and the biggest factor was the time taken to figure out what to do. After a brief discussion with them they told me that the cost should be around $800-$1000 to install both seats. This does not include the cost for the seats.

But for the fabrication of the seat mounts $150/seat I do believe this can be easily done by an average guy/gal that knows how to use tools. As stated in my prior post I hope to do an entire DIY step-by-step guide. At first I was going to video the entire process but when I realized I was getting in slightly over my head I took it to the experts. I told them about PC and how I wanted to document the process and they were willing to let me photo or video but when these guys are ready to work they don't want to wait around for me to show up with the camera. Also even though they were willing to document the process themselves at over $100/hr I couldn't afford that!

So right now all I have is the driver seat installed and temporary power coming from the cigarette lighter power adapter in the console to the seat.

Next I will figure the power from either the front fuse panel (30 amp fuse) down the door and across to both seats or I will take it directly from the battery in the back with and inline fuse.

After that I will get the wiring schematic from EL and publish it for your perusal. I will also try to assemble a list of parts, as they can get quite expensive. The EL guys did a great job hunting down the relays for me as the ones they had on hand were $68 each! :eek: 68 X 8 = $544 X 2 seats = $1088.00 and that don't include tax! But they were able to locate some for $27 each and I do believe there might be some cheaper out there or at the junk yard. They did say they could have used the ones in the Volvo PSM (Power Seat Module) but the amount of time figure that out at +$100/hr made for one expensive proposition. Perhaps a PC member could figure that out and if so please contact me I have the module and the wiring schematic.

Once the above is done I will fabricate and document the seat mounts.

But first it's vacation time we were supposed to leave today but I doubt that is going to happen so early tomorrow we will head out from Fresno to Yosemite National Park, go over Tioga Pass, hang a right for a hot as hell journey through Death Valley and end the day in Las Vegas. Monday will be CanyonLands in Southern Utah and then on to Salt Lake City maybe SouthWest Wyoming, Tuesday will be Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park and hopefully we will end up in Bozeman, MT, my hometown where I was growing up. From there on Wednesday we will hopefully do a loop around Glacier National Park and head out for Reno that night. By Thursday I hope to be in Reno for the Hot August Nights Auto Show and by Sunday we will be home. We have no reservations and no set itinerary because it's a ROADTRIP BABY! :car:

Wildkow

9. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now you will find out how crappy the NON telescoping steering wheel is. Your seats go back but your arms wont reach the wheel. Ughhhhhhh!

There are so many things about the prius I hate. Its really not fun to drive if your tall.

10. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK, I think your installation method and the Volvo seats would be better than re-tooling the stock Prius seats. That is just too awesome. Like you, I don't see a big need for the memory button functions. Comfort, seat heat, and seat adjustments would be worth it alone.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just did 11+ hours in my new Volvo seats and the one thing that comes to mind is !SWEET!:D Got on the road a little after nine a.m. drove through Yosemite > over Tioga Pass down to Mono Lake and on to Bishop, CA then across Death Valley 120 degrees F to Badwater Basin, lowest point in the USA and ended the day in Pahrump, NV. Yes my nice person is tired and a bit sore but what the hell it was an 11+ hrs for me and my wife did about an hour. There is no where near the pain I had with the stock Prius seats after just 15-20 minutes. OK, one thing I would change is to raise the front mount points about an inch. Also try really hard to get the Volvo seats with Lumbar Support. :D

Here's some pics. . .

[​IMG]
    Tioga Pass

[​IMG]
    Mobile station at the bottom of Tioga Pass/Lee Vining Junction, notice the price? We just went inside and peed, didn't buy any gas. LOL!

[​IMG]
    Mono Lake looks weird to me with water in it! LOL!

[​IMG]

Sand Dunes in Death Valley it was 120 F here and that was almost 6:00 pm so I guess the high today was 122-123 F which tied my personal record for heat. Hoover Dam was 123 F last year during a visit.

[​IMG] This is Bad Water Basin the lowest point in the continental United States. I don't know if you can see it but the temp was 117 F at 7:15 pm, the Garmin Nuvi 660 indicates the elevation as -232 feet but we were up on the road embankment about 30-40 feet above the Valley floor. It was hotter than a popcorn fart in the desert!

Wildkow

Attached Files:

12. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  13. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wildkow; :whoo::biggrin1::high5::clap2::cheer2::rockon:

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry all but I've been back for a couple of weeks and Electric Labs still hasn't got my wiring schematic done. Grrrrrrr! :mad: I'm going again tomorrow to see what they have and hope to be able to post soon as well as provide further details on mounting the seats. :nod:

This is a great place to search for Volvo seats Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. I would suggest that you stay between the years 2004-2006. There are plenty of them out there at reasonable prices.

Wildkow

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK here it is . . .

[​IMG]

Volvo seats.jpg

16. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wildkow, welcome back and thanks for the carparts link and the wiring diagram. I did a quick search and found sixteen seats less than five miles away -- I guess it was meant to be... :)

17. mfastunot

mfastunot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why would you put your nasty anti-Obama stuff here, on a Prius website. Are you trying to offend people? Everything has a place, and this isn't the place for that!

18. drewtiss

drewtiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I am also planning to buy a Garmin Nuvi 660. I want to know where did you get yours and for how much? Nice trippin' :D

19. seany001

seany001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So has anyone figured out if the volvo airbag system is plug an play with a Prius? Or do I need to gut the volvo seat and swap the airbags?

20. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    your probably not gonna be able to swap airbags unless your one heck of a fabricator, and even then I doubt it. you might be able to solder the Toyota connector to the Volvo seat wires, but if the resistance is wrong, you will get srs codes. depending on who made the airbags, the resistance might be the same; you'll need to figure that part out with research.