1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operation Volvo Seats in a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Apr 10, 2008.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was just starting to feel some sympathy for problemchild when I got to this line. So much for sympathy. Problemchild, you don't own this thread, or any other thread on this forum. Everyone is allowed to contribute, as long as they follow a few basic rules. Staying within your topic expectations is not one of the rules. If you want to avoid public comment, don't post your thoughts publicly. If you want complete control, you need your own web site.

Tom

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

3. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Please Do Not Turn This Thread Into An --->Ignorance About Airbags<---- Thread!
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

;) (Just kidding)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what i posted there was not a doom and gloom "don't do this because you will die" post. it was a list of components that could be affected, a mention that a wire might need extending, and a mention that we did not know how the airbag timing would be affected and that may be an issue. note i mentioned that the default to full-force airbags would not be a problem for someone who did not share the car with another, shorter, person.

it was certainly not ranting, but i think it was reasonable to inform people of what kind of sensors and etc exist in the seat that need to be worked around. your childish response was equally deal-killing, from the responses i saw.

your condescending attitude simply won't work on me. i've got a bigger attitude problem than you, but i know how to contain myself and generally try to *not* be an donkey.

to each their own. good luck with your little project.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Galexee, if you don't agree 100%, and especially if you have any technical concerns, then you are ranting and a profit of doom. How have you posted for so long without understanding these finer points? :rolleyes:

Tom

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah ........What he said ^^^^^^ lol

7. Hybrid Effects

Hybrid Effects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if NASA had discussions like this over the Mars rover air bags?:plane:

As long as the voltage to the bags are the same and if the computer can or has to communicate with the new air bags it should work. Also I do believe that there would be different air bag modules for the front and side air bags. I would think also that the module is what sends the pulse to deploy. When ever I replaced air bags I had to change the module with a undeployed one. I think the Prius module should work.
    I have also been told to be very cautious probing air bag wires with a meter.

I would think that if the Prius seat had a position sensor that you would put the switch in the rearward position.

If there is a difference in airbag timing (two levels) you might see the difference in the wiring between the two bags.

When ever I work on air bags or replace them I believe that I disconnect the battery.

Good luck

8. SLO Prius

SLO Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Amen. It's your Prius and you can do to it whatever you want. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your seat swap and appreciate the time and effort involved and the sharing of the info.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think everyone shares this sentiment. But no one enjoys getting ripped for raising or discussing relevant points in good faith.

10. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly! I really hope he succeeds in his endeavor. I look at this forum as being a giant think tank and welcome people's comments. I really believe that all of us were just trying to help provide feedback and viewpoints that perhaps weren't foreseen. That's all ......

11. au_prius

au_prius Australian Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree completely -- nobody was picking a fight with the original poster (problemchild), and it's a shame that he got so worked up over it.

In any case, best wishes for all concerned regarding the Volvo seat project!

12. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Thread CLOSED. No further updates or pictures will be posted. Really tired of every thread I post getting hijacked with the airbag compulsive crowd.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

13. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't punish me because they hijack your thread. I want to see the pictures and hear what problems you ran into.

14. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No one hijacked his thread. Some people simply inquired into the feasibility of the airbag deployment utilizing other seats. Those were reasonable questions that could have been dealt with in a mature fashion. Now he's taken his ball and gone home. :eek:hwell:

15. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, somebody's a little touchy. I just came to see what he had done. As a former Volvo person, I do miss those seats. Kind of a shame this conversation never got to the stage of discussing possibilities for addressing the safety issue. All technical problems can be solved, it's just a matter of how long and at what cost.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nobody hijacked this thread.
    Reasonable questions about the plan for the airbags were asked. Reasonable solutions were offered, lots of good general information was put forth. Not one person...not one...suggested that the project was dangerous, not one suggested it shouldn't be done, not one made any insinuation that the OP was doing something he shouldn't.

The immature response both to the issue of airbags and then by deleting his posts in the childish and selfish manner he chose to do so is the only thing that's unacceptable here. Read through the posts...it's possible to reconstruct much of the thread including the OP's first response regarding the air bags. If anyone hijacked the thread it's ProblemChild by reacting so immaturely and inappropriately instead of saying:
    "thank you for your thoughts on the airbags. I have decided to not reconnect them (or I've decided to just wire them in to the existing connector or I've decided to terminate the wires so there's no warning light) and realize that this might not be an ideal safety situation but that my personal comfort in day to day driving is important enough to take the risk."
    Instead he's chosen to insult every Prius owner on the forum by calling the Prius a "cracker box". Had this been a first post this poster would very likely been banned as a troll. Indeed further insults will likely end in that result.

Just to extend, his reaction in the seat rail extender thread is nearly identical. The fact that he minimizes the importance of airbags shows a distinct ignorance of the research that shows their benefit both in "cracker boxes" and in SUVs. The intelligent informed individual looking to market such a product would have taken that into consideration and either made the product so that the airbags would continue to function or simply state a disclaimer that there could be safety risks b/c they're being disabled. But no, he chooses to pout, take his marbles and go home..:rolleyes::noidea:

17. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Would you need to notify your insurance company if you disconnect your airbags? After all the premiums are based on you having airbags. Would the insurance company have a reason to not cover you in the event of an accident if you didn't notify them?

18. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The issue of insurance company notification varies according to the terms of the insurance contract. Generally, if you tamper with or disable a safety feature of the car (side impact airbags), then don't expect coverage for the injuries from the insurance company.

19. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were involved in an accident and your injuries were such that they could have been prevented by the use of an airbag that was disconnected by you, the company could possibly refuse coverage as there would have been fraud involved in the formation of the contract if you originally stated that the car had working airbags.

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, the Prius is quite safe in side-impact accidents. More safe than a comparable Volvo (S40). (At least according to iihs.org, but what do they know?) If you disable the side-impact airbag, you will likely have a solution that is less safe than even the Volvo S40 provides as it is shipped from the factory.

Remember, these cars are really just 'cracker boxes'.... That is a new disparagement. I will have to remember that one.