1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operation Volvo Seats in a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well I humbly disagree. I remember him clearly asking in the original post that the subject of airbags not be discussed and that he would only cover installation of his seats. Thereafter many posts appeared discussing the implications of airbags in a seat swap. Seems that his request was totally ignored perhaps not even read.

It irks me a bit because I'd like to see the conversion. Being an old man with the typical skinny butt that some old men develop I have to use a cushion on long drives. :embarassed:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall that at all...but since he's taken it upon himself to delete the entire first post of the thread we can never be certain. He did, later, add a comment that he didn't want the airbag issue discussed, but I don't recall that as part of the original post or before the subject came up.

That said, even if he did make the comment it's stupid to do so. It's a key element in the conversion/modification and needs to be discussed. Nobody even took the thread off track as all the comments were directed toward working around the issue. I'm more than willing to bet that 99.99% of the people on this board would have not only not minded the comments but would have been thankful for the input on how to deal with the issue of the airbags.

Instead the OP decided to be obnoxious in his response to the discussion and has acted extremely immaturely in every other regard.

I, too, was interested in the conversion...but the ENTIRE conversion including how he was going to deal with the airbag issue. Even if not connecting them then how was he going to deal with the warning light? It is as much a part of the mod as is how to tighten the bolts that secure the seat....thus entirely not hijacking..it's called elaborating and expanding key parts of the process.

He requested that we delete the thread so he could start a new one entirely devoid of the airbag subject. I wrote him back suggesting that the airbag issue was important and offered him 2 good suggestions on how to deflect the discussion..namely by directly addressing it himself. Instead he chose this childish tact.:baby:

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found the cached copy of the original post:
    Operation Volvo Seats in a prius - PriusChat Forums
    Phase one complete!
    I found a pair of S60 Volvo seats today. The seats are in great shape and the airbag has not been detonated. Tomorrow I will pick up the wiring harness with all the connectors from the same volvo wrecker. I must have called 40 shops looking for a late model like new seat pair. It was quite the task.

Phase two will be to hook up the 12V and test the seats. I was told they were working fine as they had to be operated to unbolt them from the car.

Phase 3 will be the manufacture of the brackets. Phase 4 will be to install the seats and connect the power.

*Note no comments about airbags one way or the other

Phase 5 will be the pure bliss of having 8 way electric seats in my prius while Im heading off on a long road trip. :)

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Seamus,

Point of fact:

Your memory is OK, but you are remembering a modified initial post.

OP's unmodified initial post did not ask that airbags not be discussed. That request was added later in a modification after some people had posted comments/questions about the side airbags. In fact, OP's unmodified initial post expressly mentioned that the front seat airbags had not been deployed, with the implication being that that was a good thing as he would have working side airbags.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I was typing my post while you found that.

6. SLO Prius

SLO Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I sure hope I develop a skinny butt as I get older as I certainly don't have that problem at the moment. :D

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    people who spread misinformation need to be called out. end of story.

this guy is one of those who will not hear it if he does not want to, :lalala: and he's quite puerile to top it off. it's fine for someone to modify their seats however they want, but at least acknowledge the risks that may exist.

8. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. And, if he felt it was hijacked, all he had to do was state how he was addressing or not addressing the issue as efusco suggested. To not address the issue of airbags at all is a disservice to all. He handled this thread in a very immature and childish fashion. Besides, it's a thread on a forum! My goodness, if you don't want to read something ... don't! In the whole scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal.

9. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: AIRBAG ranting

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is rather unfortunate that problemchild decided to throw a tantrum. I was kind of lurking to see how well the integration of the side impact air bags could be accomplished. One reason that I keep getting Volvos (I have an XC90 in addition to the Prius) is the comfortable seats. If it had been possible to truly integrate a Volvo seat into the Prius (and have the side impact airbag still be able to operate, I would have seriously considered the modification. The one thing that I wish the Prius had is the 8 way adjustable (and heated) seats of the Volvo. Add in the WHIPS (whiplash injury reduction) function, and the Prius with Volvo seats would probably be one very safe car - certainly better than the Prius or Volvo S40 as they come direct from the factory.

But instead a tantrum :rant: is thrown.

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Damn those cached copies! :rant:

12. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My recollection of the original post included a section boxed in with a line of x's above and below it. Boo probably has it just right. I came to the thread after it had been modified by to OP.

Now on another subject. We need to stop the name calling. Just on this page alone the OP is called childish, immature and puerile. One of my original attractions to PriusChat was that the general level of grammar exceeds other sites. It would be a shame to counter that with less than polite discourse.

13. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, NO! Don't wish for that. With some men who hit 60 or so the bodily cushion from the butt redistributes itself to the belly. This results in a chronic inability to keep pants up. :mad: Also chairs become the enemy. It just plain hurts to sit for any length of time on wooden chairs.

Toyota does have their seats on the firm side. I might go for a Volvo seat if it was a reasonable installation.

14. au_prius

au_prius Australian Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, efusco, for your reasonable, considered and polite response.

I think this whole thread illustrates what makes forums such as this work well (most of the time): we are a community of like-minded people, who like discussing all aspects of what we like (i.e., Priuses/Prii and hybrid vehicles). We may not agree on everything, indeed we may strongly disagree, and we are entitled to our opinion. However, the unwritten rule that (thankfully) the vast majority of people follow is that common courtesy and respect should prevail in any sort of response that we make.

It's unfortunate that the OP chose to take offense at some of the posts when really he didn't need to. We could have had a lively, thoughtful discussion about replacement Prius seats, and the potential advantages and pitfalls of doing this. The issue of what to do with the side airbag is highly relevant to discuss in this context, since most (if not all) NHW20 Prius models come standard with seat-mounted thorax airbags. The OP may be highly skeptical about the efficacy of airbags, but many people who decide to replace the seats may in fact overlook the airbag issue, if it wasn't for forums like this. I am sure most people would rather be informed of the potential safety risks of disabling an airbag or replacing it with a different one -- at least they can make an informed choice if they decide to replace the seat.

I'm sure we could have agreed to disagree about the airbags, and just keep moving along, and provide helpful information to those interested. No one was stopping the OP from doing the Volvo seat project, and like I said in an earlier post, it's his Prius, and he's free to do whatever he likes with it!

So really, at the end of the day, if the OP couldn't accept that people have different opinions to him, or didn't like the fact that people like to expand, elaborate and discuss the issues raised, then a public forum is the wrong place for him to post his remarks.

As for the "cracker box" comment, I'm not in the least offended - our Metallic Silver NHW20 Prius i-Tech is our pride and joy. Besides, the EuroNCAP program gives it a five-star safety rating, so I'm comfortable enough with that.

I'm just a bit curious as to why the OP keeps driving a Prius when he obviously thinks so poorly of it......

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check above, I posted the exact text of the original first post...there's no 'probably' about it. Regardless, even if it had been there the poster has no right to strictly dictate the content of a thread on an open forum. If that's what he wants he should start his own personal blog paid with his own money and then he can post whatever he wants without anyone getting to say anything he doesn't like. That is not the way it is here.

I think you'll find my level of grammar to be on par with nearly anywhere. But that won't dissuade me from calling a spade a spade. I did not name-call, but I did characterize, accurately IMO, the actions that the OP chose to take. I've done it before for others who chose a similar course of action and I'll do it again. How would you characterize such an action...the only intent is to punish in a very passive aggressive and juvenile way the entire forum by pouting and deleting his posts here. I make no apologies for that characterization.

16. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well don't be combative. My comments are meant as constructive. Name calling is not a positive.

Let's move on. :)

17. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dam it all, I wanted to see those seats in his Prius!
    Thanks to those who stepped all over his thread and turned the subject into an air bag debate!

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been thinking of driving from New York City to Madison WI in July for Hybridfest 2008.

A Volvo seat for that journey and beyond sure would be nice.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wanted to see how it came out too. It's not something I would do, since the stock seats are fine for me, but it is an interesting project. Too bad the OP couldn't have said "Thanks for the input. I realize there is some risk, but I find it acceptable; now we were talking about Volvo seats..."

Tom

20. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Problem Child, would you kindly reconsider posting pictures of your completed seat swap?
    IMO the air bag is a non issue.