1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operation Volvo Seats in a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Apr 10, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The car is stock. I did not drill anything. I made some brackets to reach to the seat mount points. The sheet metal is waaaaaay to thin to mount anything other then Velcro to. The metal is like the skin of a coke can. The mount points are just where the seat has to sit to fit both me and my wife. I can scoot back until I cant touch hands or feet.

The steering wheel needs to come back some for optimum performance. But its real close the way it is. I am very comfortable. The side pillar eats up some of your shoulder/elbow space.

3. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

4. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Care to share a photo or two of the brackets? Also direction the bolts went and type of bolts used. I'm thinking pan head bolts sent upward.

5. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The brackets aren't finished yet. They are temps to fine tune the final brackets.

6. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I rode to lunch in a friend's Volvo S60 today. He likes my Prius, he likes Priuschat, and he likes the vegeterian meals in Rae Vynn's picture gallery. I was telling him about this thread and he admired your good taste in carseats and your ingenuity. Those are great seats!

7. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are by far the single most comfortable seat I have ever sat in. I am exquisitely thrilled every time I drive the car. I spent 700 trying to make the prius seats fit me. In the end I trashed them and installed some nice seats.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PC,

I gather then that you like the S60 seats a lot more than the similar but cushier S80 seats you were going to get before?

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Among other things, Toyota has been very late in coming to "active" headrests. That's why if you look at rear end crash results for the Prius and almost all Toyotas, the headrests don't rate very high in protecting against whiplash injuries. I fully expect the next generation Prius to have active headrests. I believe Toyota has started putting them on very recent new generation models.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    eBay Motors: 05 Volvo S60 HEATED LEATHER BUCKET SEATS streetrod (item 160232937361 end time Apr-29-08 09:33:03 PDT)

[​IMG]
    For set of TAN in color, HEATED LEATHER BUCKET SEATS. These seats are in great shape. They both have full power functions and seat heat. The passengers side actually has levers on the rear side to allow for folding down flat. This is a great feature that these seats have. The leather is in great shape, no cracks, rips or stains. I do have the matching rears for an additonal fee. Buy it now auction $365.00

This set of seats came out of a 2005 Volvo S60.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just over $500 w/ shipping. If I thought I had the know how I'd snap those suckers up....

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If they had been the same color as problemchild's you would have been too late. :p

Wildkow

13. MountainStone

MountainStone Light Bringer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I count at least 7 electrical connectors in the photo of the floorpan with removed seat. That is about five more than I can think of a Prius seat needing. How many are on the Volvo seat? Please keep us posted on how you make your electrical connections, and if the car is happy with your methods (no CEL).

Sick mod, man. Congratulations and thanx for sharing!

14. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow 365 for both what a steal. Too bad about the michigan address. Good luck getting them here without damage. They sure are in nice condition. 2005 is a great year. Mine were from an 04. The lighter color will keep them cool in summer time if they get in the sun.

The extra wire are for seatbelt, seat heater, airbag, power seat, brain.

Black and red are 12v +/- and the brown and purple are 12v +/- as well. I would have to look and see which is which on the brown and purple. The only other thing I care about is the seat heater for next winter. But I have 6 months before I will need that now.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Volvo seats use a color saturated leather. Dying/staining is a surface color application. Over time, the dye will wear off (onto your clothes).

17. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  18. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Problemchild, how did you come to decide on Volvo seats?

19. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are so many seats out there I had to settle on one. Volvo seats are really nice. Its a tight fit if you decide to go with them. They clear by 1/4inch on each side so its slightly difficult to make the brackets. Im very happy I have the nice seats. It makes the car so nice.

20. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It's like the "Lazy Boy" of car seats...:D

The '89 240DL I used to drive had the most comfortable seats of any car I have ever driven.

Nice Swap...

Dave