1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinion on Reddit: Toyota ruined the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 2, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This makes me rethink if I should really trade in my Gen 4 Prius Prime. The interior and cargo space looks tiny in comparison to Gen 4's, and the close windshield is a safety hazard in a collision. I feel like I am downgrading if I get a smaller car. Ironically, the fuel economy is worse as well.

Toyota ruined the Prius | Reddit

You can get a sense of how small the interior is in this video.

ukulelegeek, jtg61 and GSK like this.
  2. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    I really believe Toyota simply changed the Prius to suit what they believe the market wants for a compact hybrid. In the first 4 generations of the Prius, there were limited alternative hybrid options in Toyota's lineup, so it had to be more of a jack of all trades with practicality on top of being fuel efficient.

Now there are several other hybrid models in their line up that can do all the things the Prius could do practicality wise (arguably better). Being in the compact segment, which as a whole is leaning more towards being "sporty" and better handling than crossovers, Toyota made the choice to move the Prius into that direction. This is absolutely a detriment to people who liked the old Prius. But with dwindling sales of the old Prius and increased competition in the market, Toyota made a choice to try and revive the image of the Prius in hopes that they can continue to justify producing and selling it.

Bottom line is, if you really prefer practicality and interior space, the Gen 5 Prius is not for you. But if you want something with a bit more flair and tech that delivers great fuel economy, this is the perfect option if you're shopping for small hatchbacks.

3. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Very nicely written....this could be the last edition of the Prius unless the next gen goes all EV .....but toyota does not seem to want to go there.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I 100% agree. The "old" utilitarian fuel-efficient PRIUS is dead. Toyota just saved the PRIUS brand name for the new car. This happens all the time on very popular car brands. For practicality and cost, I just can't see Gen5 Prius Prime will serve the needs of people who loved previous Prius models. I will wait for the Corolla Prime if I want to go back to a small yet practical and cheaper Toyota Plug-In, but chances are that I will probably find better deals (total cost-wise) on new BEVs with incentives.

ColoradoCrow and Louis19 like this.
  5. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Toyota sacrificed a little on the fuel efficiency, but it's not like it's not competitive. The LE's 57/56 MPG is top of the line for non-plugin hybrid cars. If you need more interior space then just get a camry hybrid or similar (although imo the latest camry is kind of ugly). There are more viable hybrid options now, which is a good thing. Personally I always thought the old Prius was bigger than I needed

6. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm no pro in designs and just an average Joe. I've been driving the Gen 5 Prius for roughly two weeks now and I honestly love the car. I maybe the exception, but I just like the design. The design just stands out from every car Toyota has right now and I love it. The bz4x does come close, but it's not a car. Just my two cents.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, Gen5 is probably the very first "Pretty Prius". I like the looks of the new Prius too, although I have not seen the real one in the wild or even at a dealer's lot yet. If the "looks" and "performance" were the thing to pick a personal car, then Gen5 will do well. But previous models of Prius are known to be "ugly" but very practical.

If I want a car just for "looks" and "performance". And if I am 10 years younger... I will wait for the 2028 WRX EV. But I know I am not getting younger, so I will look for an "ugly" and "practical" BEV like the current Bolt instead. LOL
    2028 Subaru WRX STI EV Coming, Electrified Version of a Favorite

upload_2023-5-2_10-28-42.png

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do think the Pacific Ocean is getting bigger, and Toyota's mindset more distance. My checklist has some very basic wants, and way too many of them go begging, starting with fourth gen, more so with fifth. And they keep introducing confounding changes, tire/wheel selection for one.

I'm resigned to waving bye-bye, for all these reasons.

Rick Sanchez likes this.
  9. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is a good replacement then for a Gen 2 Prius and/or an Avalon Hybrid (prefferably with an upgrade to a plug-in) that isn't a crossover?

Is the Camry Hybrid the only thing that's close?

Rick Sanchez and daisy555 like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Camry is a sedan. Is Avalon sedan? For a Prius alternative, my minimum requirement is that the car has to have a hatchback. There is no way I am going back to a sedan with a non-utilitarian trunk. Corolla Hatch is the most attractive alternative for me if they make it in a plug-in version, but you don't like a crossover.

CR94 and Isaac Zachary like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Once upon a time, jack of all trade cars were available that weren't hybrids.
    No arguing against the design, but the older models accolades for things like being a good family car.
    I'd argue the Niro isn't a crossover. No AWD option at all, and normal ground clearance, makes it as close as you can get to a small station wagon today.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's a resurrected Matrix? If the Corolla Cross Hybrid had a spare, I'd be interested. Big "if" though...

#12 Mendel Leisk, May 2, 2023
    Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Salamander_King likes this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Isn’t Toyota killing off the Avalon for the crown?
    small crossover makes one think id4 - which comes in awd flavors .... not the longest range or highest efficiency but it seems to fill the bill for many.

#13 hill, May 2, 2023
  14. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I guess I'm the guy who they redesigned the new Prius for. Frankly I never even considered the previous generations simply based on the styling and performance. I have a 2nd utility vehicle so I don't need to load it full of stuff, no kids etc. I just wanted something with good economy that looks decent for a daily driver/road tripper. I'm not a fan of Teslas and I'm not sold on a current electric cars general so the Prius was the ez pick. Sadly the Corolla wasn't even a consideration, just no... I was actually looking at a PHEV Sportage before the Prius came out. We have a gas Sportage already and it has been a great car. This was supposed to end up her car eventually but I think I'll keep it and she can get herself another Sportage. ;)

I'm not as huge as the reddit guy so that's probably why I find the interior quite comfortable. At 6ft the seat isn't slammed so far back that people wouldn't be comfortable in the back seats. I would struggle to describe the interior as cramped. I have no issue with headroom, and I don't think the windshield is too close either. Otherwise I have been extremely happy with the driving experience. I can see where previous gen Prius owners are coming from. Those persons whom probably aren't concerned with styling and want a pure economy/utility vehicle. It's definitely not the same car as before, it's far more classy and with that comes obvious sacrifices. If you need utility Toyota wants you in a Corolla Cross, Rav4, or Highlander. If you want pure economy they want you in a Corolla.

Sarge, GuyLR and Ronnie5 like this.
  15. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Somebody posted pics side-by-side you can see it’s a bigger car. I see my local dealers got one listed (prime)it’s in allocation phase? still time to pass on it…I’m sure there’s somebody waiting with money in hand.

16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Good Lord, the people in that thread...

The guy is bitching about having to lay down one seat to fit his golf clubs. Welcome to the entire world of non-SUV's. Maybe impressive acceleration, handling, and good looks is a fair trade-off for having to flip one lever on a seat?

And this dude...

"I don't know that I'd be happy without a rear windshield wiper."

What on earth is the rear windshield wiper for anyway? I believe I've turned it on 3 times, just because I could.

It's definitely smaller, I can attest to that at 6'3. But again... trade-offs. People will pull you over on the road now just to ask what you're driving.

Toyota is going to sell the absolute shit out of the 2023 Prius.

17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It's been described as a concept car that actually made it to production. Astounding good looks is a fair description. Amazing that a car goes from being one of the ugliest, to one of the prettiest.

I love my 2019, but I feel like I'm robbing the bank on the 2023 with the appreciation of my trade-in. I drove my 2019 for 3 years and I'm trading it in for what I purchased it for..... let that sink in.

ukulelegeek, mountaineer and PhoS like this.
  18. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Same here. I never considered a Prius because of the looks. I thought they were ugly. I however did own a 2015 CT200h. Which is basically a 3rd gen Prius in a tuxedo. It was great car and actually looked good. I’m so glad the Prius got redesigned. It’s such a good looking car now. Yes it lost some of its practicality but not everyone needs a big car. I’m one of those people. I’m really happy with my 5th gen Prius.

#18 theRob, May 2, 2023
    ukulelegeek, Bob P. and PhoS like this.
  19. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    While the gross flat space is lower, the 2023 Prius has expanded various small storage areas. Many items stored on the hatch floor can now be stored under the floor or in other areas of the car. See my comments https://priuschat.com/posts/3346894/ on this subject.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  20. reallyreal

reallyreal Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you find the 5th gen Prius compared with the CT200h in terms of engine, tires, and wind noise in the cabin?