1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinion: why I’ll never buy another internal-combustion car

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For the first 20 years of our marriage I could only afford cars that were at least 10 years old with over 100,000 miles on them as they were dirt cheap and got me to work, so I agree with your main point.
    But re the Leaf: I understand the battery is interlocked with the CPU by Nissan, but is there any chance you would be able to build and vend a replacement battery pack for the Leaf? We would consider buying a used Leaf for local use and reserving the Prius for trips, but not until after-market traction batteries would be available as Nissan’s price for them is unconscionable.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At least a couple Middle Eastern countries, one with oil, are. It just doesn't do us any good on the other side of an ocean.

Wind and natural gas peakers are getting build here.

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If by magic no more ICE cars were sold and 100% of cars were BEV it would take about 20 years for the millions of ICE cars to go away and stop using fuel. A slow 20 year transition from gas to electricity.
    A more reasonable magically fast transition would be a 10 year ramp to get to 100% EV sales...thus a 30 year transition. Not exactly an actionable stock tip.

Mike

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you really feel about Nissan?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    after the Nissan Leaf class-action yielded so very little? When Gosen knew the leaf range (even when new) had less than Nissan claimed? When he knew how fast its battery would degrade in heat do to poor thermal management? When Carlos Ghosn was thrown in the hoosegow? ...... actually? a whole lot better.

#65 hill, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Worth pointing out that in many areas, these already-tired vehicles are expected to drive the longer distances between affordable housing and not just one, but several jobs.

That's a tall order for any car. Probably too tall for any of these first-wave EVs and PHEVs.