1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinion: Would this prius be worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Michael H, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Michael H

Michael H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I own a second gen prius myself but my parents need one for a job opening. But I'm curious to get the communities opinion if this one I found is worth it or not.

Specs:
    *2008 package 5 I believe, sincr it has factory nav and backup cam
    *Clean title, one owner, and no accidents.
    *Recently got a new engine/transmission
    *It has 302k miles but new engine and trans came from one with 140k, and they have the paperwork from the shop supposedly
    *Blue

Initially they made it seem like the car had 140k but it's not like they were hiding the fact that it has a replaced engine/trans; just a communication error.

I know that it should get another 100k miles (I believe), but my parents don't like the idea.

The price would be $3500 and I think it would be worth rather then spending $5500 on one with 160k miles and doesn't have navigation. Given I know nav isn't worth much on those, but is still a perk.

I'll update with pics but just looking to get some quick opinions.. thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking more like 2,500., but location is everything. no, i wouldn't expect it to go another 100k without expensive repairs, but i might hope it would. does it have a new hv battery?
    in any case, your parents shouldn't drive a vehicle they are not comfortable in.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Nav on my 4 year 2012 has led me to closed businesses and highway detours. On an 8 year old? It's not much of a perk.

At 302k miles, I'm more worried about structural integrity than the battery or drivetrain. Rust on the muffler, suspension, worn bushings or springs. Air conditioning compressor failure... And the list goes on. I'll take the $5500 with 160k any day. I would go so far to say it's a sure thing you'll pay out more than the $2000 you think you're saving on the 2008 due to repairs and maintenance.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a question I would ask...the sellers and yourself.

If they recently went to the trouble and expense of investing into replacing both the engine and transmission, why are they selling it now?

I mean, they evidently have gone from believing it was worth replacing BOTH the engine and transmission...to now cutting it loose and selling it.

Which is always a suspicious "Red Flag" to me.

That's a pretty inexpensive "buy in" for a Prius. BUT...even then, that's no excuse for throwing money away.

As with all used cars, who really knows?
    But I don't like the vibe here.
    You're buying a vehicle with high miles, and it needed both it's engine and transmission replaced.
    These weren't replaced with "new"...they were used, salvaged.-Not necessarily a bad thing, but they come with no guarantees.

My fear would be that the original owner, may of made this investment into "fixing" The Prius, then started to notice new problems, and now is cutting his losses.
    You get stuck with the "new" problems.

I think, just on instinct alone, I'd avoid this deal.

kenoarto and tanglefoot like this.
  5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It doesn't sound good to me either. Valid points from The Electric Me. I also don't consider built-in nav to be a perk--use a hand-held nav or smartphone!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect it went from no value, with a bad motor, to some value above the cost of the transplant. but at 300k, i would be more concerned with everything but the drivetrain.

7. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    why are you buying a car with the same miles and abuse as a NY taxi cab???

go for an older one with less miles for the same price
    or
    save more money for something that's going to last

8. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This isn't even a contest in my book. An extra two grand for half the miles and sans the shady repair history? Sign me up for that all day long.

9. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gonna have to agree with THE ELECTRIC ME on this...They can't verify even if the replacement motor/trans is 140K from the VIN number of the junk donor car can they? I think you need to look elsewhere and see whats out there. Some how my minds says..."RUN RUN!!"

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1
    It's a bad choice.

Also +1 on the Nav. For $99 at Best Buy you could get a much better GPS system.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Run, don't walk.

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the car spent its entire time in your region of the US, thats a lot of winters with salt on the roads, and screams RUST.

If you have mechanic capabilities, or like to tinker, $2K firm. Butmthey wont want to go there.

Keep on looking.