1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions/experience on new tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaw444, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assume what you want. Toyota says 185/65R15 is the correct size. I would consider them much more informed than you.

2. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Opinions/experience on new tires?

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that this is an opinion/experience thread does not negate the fact you are telling people the incorrect tire size. If that size works for you fine, but don’t confuse people by stating incorrect facts. You were wrong own up to it or not, just stop trying to justify your error and move on already.

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Over the decades I've only had to use a mileage warranty twice. In both cases the warranty was honored without any hesitation by Discount Tire/America's Tire.

Skibob likes this.
  5. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Point taken, please explain why my 11,16 and 17 prii came from the factory with 195/65-15 tires.
    Which btw, make the speedometer read correctly compared to my 06 prius which had 185/65-15 tires giving the car a faulty speedometer reading, and less mpg's.

Going to have to disreguard the owners manual on this, just copied this web address of Toyotas recommendation for prime tire size, the link actually has 195/65-15, so please, move on.

2018 Toyota Prius Prime Tire Sizes & Specs

#25 Usle, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2011 is gen 3, 2016 and 17 are gen 4 all of those cars have quite a few differences from a gen 2, including engine size. So you say your Speedo was off a few MPH? I have owned many Toyota’s and all of them were like that. 1 Corrola, 1 Camry, 3-4 runners, 1 Tacoma and an MR2 (not sure if the MR2 was off I didn’t own a GPS at the time). I’m pretty sure the odometers were right on even though the speedometers read about 2 MPH low. When you changed the tire size you threw off the odometer readings.

Merkey and srellim234 like this.
  7. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I on the other hand am absolutely positively certain that the 06 was 1-3 mph slow on the speedometer, because of the undersized tires, while the 11, 16 and 17 were spot on to the correct speed, because of having the correct tire size, via my garmin gps.

You have had other toyotas, did you have an 06 prius, what size tires did it come with?
    Mine came with185/65-15" tires, from the factory.
    And what size tires did your 11, 16 and 17 prii come with?
    Mine all came with 195/65-15" tires from the factory.
    Did you ever compare the speedometer to a gps?
    I did on each car, and when I put 195/65-15" tires on the 06' which came with 185/65-15" tires which gave an incorrect speedometer reading, which was corrected by putting the PROPER sized tires on.
    Now, while discussing the accumulative miles on the 06' with the incorrect tire size, obviously Toyota was aware of the discrepancy on the 06' as they changed the tire size for the gen3, which gave the correct speedometer reading and the correct odometer reading, obviously, the 185/65-15" tires gave an incorrect odometer reading.
    Or....is Toyota now guilty of equipping all the gen3 and gen 4 prii with incorrect odometer readings, I think not.

And BTW, they recommend 195/65-15" tires on the prime, did you catch that part?

Please move on.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey I have lol

m.wynn and Stevewoods like this.
  9. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Miracles happen.

jaw444 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Calibrations don't necessarily stay the same from generation to generation. The number of revolutions it takes to register mph or a mile is not set in stone for the lifetime run of any car. If it was, a Honda Civic would still be sporting the 155/75R12s we had on our tiny little Civic in 1978 instead of the P215/55R16s on a low end Civic now. Manufacturers can change the settings and many times they do.

FWIW, our 2008 Touring is very accurate with the factory size 195/55R16 tires. It's been checked against multiple GPS units. It's off by less than 1/4 mph at 80 mph.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using Conti True Contacts from TireRack...just ordered two more but seems like that tire is close out now.

I did get a free tire when we blew one out on road debris a few years back. Had to pay installation of course. I am replacing three TPMS this time, did the 4th when we got the flat. .

srellim234, Mendel Leisk and Merkey like this.
  12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've been happy with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S, installed in April of 2016. We've put 42,000 miles on them so far and they are still looking good. I wouldn't say it is the best in any specific area but it is a very good tire all the way around. No excessive road noise, decent handling and ride, it's LRR and wearing well. It's taken us through some very heavy rainstorms around the country, too, but note we're very conservative drivers. I don't think it has quite enough grip for snow or if you have extended rainy seasons. It's a good tire for here in southern California and for the longer trips we take.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PS- I did notice the speed was off about 2 MPH I think when the car says 65 I am 63 by GPS.

14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own an 06 Prius with the correct factory sized tires on it. What they use on other year Prius has absolutely no bearing on what they used on gen 2 models. I also have a GPS. How did you think I knew the speedometers were all off. Your entire theory Toyota knew about the problem and fixed it later is nonsense, you need to stop inventing ways to be correct, your not. I refuse to move on when you are intentionally telling people to use the incorrect sized tires.

srellim234 likes this.
  15. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have to make assumptions here, "the correct factory size tires were 185/65-15"? Which is what mine came with, and they were to small, the speedometer was 1-3 mph slow, and obviously, when Toyota switched to 195/65-15 tires, fixing the discrepancy in speedometer error, they did it because of the incorrect speedometer reading with 185/65-15 tires.
    Your gps gave you a reading that was? I assume if you had 185/65-15 tires it was 1-3 miles lower then it should have been, I'm only assuming.
    So, why did Toyota switch to 195/65-15 tires for the gen3+4?
    Which as I am politely pointing out gives the correct speedometer reading, and is what the Toyota online site recommends as the correct size?

Inventing reasons, I am assuming that Toyota realized that undersized tires gave incorrect speedometer readings and switched to the correct size. Please stop giving incorrect advice....advising owners to buy 185/65-15 tires....and move on.

16. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I won't defend anyone advising a different size tire but your assumptions are also probably way off the mark, Usle. With all of the testing that takes place before a car hits the market or is updated Toyota knew full well the discrepancy in speedometer rating and most likely did NOT switch to fix it. It would have been far simpler to just renew supply contracts for the current tires and have a software engineer adjust calibrations. In fact, if it was indeed perceived as a problem, Toyota would have simply updated the car's software and it would have cost them almost nothing.

With users moving to larger and larger rim and/or tire tire combinations and possibly seeing a need for better traction for an otherwise very light car they probably made the change for aesthetic and safety concerns, something more important to consumers.

jaw444 and Skibob like this.
  17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does not recommend your size tires on gen 2 Prius. How does your mind even not get the fact you are wrong, they do not say to use your size tires on gen 2 Prius. Millions of tags on gen 2 Prius say your wrong. Millions of gen 2 owners manuals say your wrong. Toyota says your wrong.Why can’t you just admit your wrong and move on?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m actually surprised that the moderators have let this ridiculous claim by Usle continue. If someone were to actually believe this nonsense and put the incorrect sized tires on their car, then get into an accident a competent attorney could argue that incorrect information came from PC. They would have to defend themselves in court, right or wrong. There is a reason manufacturers never recommend ANY different tire size.

19. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I
    Not worthy

#39 Skibob, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Skibob i think you just have to walk away. Move on as he says, lol. It just runs your heart rate up, too high, trying to debate the irrational.

I'm sorry now I called him on it. Just a mess.

Merkey and srellim234 like this.