1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hybrid Hobo, May 21, 2021.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Posted here a long while ago about getting into Prius camping, but life got in the way, and I also suffered a stroke last year. As I'm on the mend, need opinions on a possible Prius deal.

Spotted a clean looking Prius recently about 5 miles from my home with a for sale sign. Called and spoke to the owner. It's a 2006 in very good condition with about 150,000 miles on it. He was the only owner, bought it new. Recently had both batteries replaced (hybrid & auxiliary), which he has receipts for. I asked if they were changed because the car was older, and simply out of precaution, or because the red triangle of death appeared. He answered honestly and said because the red triangle came on. Aside from the batteries being replaced, he assured me there were no other known issues with the vehicle.

He's asking $4,000 for it, but sounds like he might be a bit flexible. I'm scheduled to check it out in-person on Sunday.

So, for starters, does this seem like a good deal? I like the fact that the batteries were just replaced, as that's one less potential headache to worry about. But on the other hand, the batteries could also be signs that the car is starting to age, and maybe other issues might pop up soon. What say you?

Finally, I am not a mechanic, nor am I mechanically inclined. Are there any tips or tricks you guys can recommend I look out for when I test ride the car? Any glaringly obvious issues I should be aware of?

Buying this car would deplete my entire small nest egg...all my savings. Any help you can offer so I don't screw this up would be appreciated.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because of this, I'd as steer away from a Gen 2. Having to have a third-party person repair the 3 or 4 most likely failures will cost you more than you will have paid for the car.

I say 3 or 4 because if the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery was not replaced with a new one from the dealer you will need to replace that in less than 2 years. So check that with the seller, if it was not replaced with a new Toyota HV battery the 'replacement' battery is essentially worthless.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  3. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Owner said it was serviced at a Toyota dealership, so I'm assuming the HB is brand new. Said he has receipts I can see when testing driving the car.

So if the HB was indeed new, would that change your opinion at all?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a crapshoot. gen 2 is a very reliable car, but on the back end of 150k, you're going to start seeing some regular repair bils for hundreds of dollars.
    then, if/when the brake actuator or speedo or a/c goes out, your going to be seeing bills in the thousands.
    the thing with a hybrid is that private mechs are rare, so you're often stuck with lying, stealing dealers who charge a fortune by the hour.
    it's possible you won't have any problems at all, but with no reserve capital, it is a risk.

if you need a/c or heat for camping, i don't know of any other choice. at least you have a new hybrid battery (if oem, otherwise pass on it)

ydpplqbd and Hybrid Hobo like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as far as a test drive, reset the trip meter and take it out on a good long drive over varied conditions and see what she returns for average mpg.

don't play the radio, and listen to the different sounds. it probably needs suspension work. check the tires, that's a 400 dollar bill at a minimum.

be aware that there is a massive amount of catalytic converter theft worldwide, and gen 2 is prime beef due to precious metals.
    a used one is worth about 1200 bucks to thieves, and they can be removed in 5 minutes while you're asleep in the car :eek:

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  6. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your opinion makes sense. If the new battery was indeed installed new versus remanufactured, it would still be a crapshoot...albeit a safer one. On the other hand, if the battery was used or just had the bad cells taken out, it probably isn't worth the gamble.

You hit the nail on the head...it's the climate control I need. NE summers are brutally hot & humid, and winters can get pretty frigid. My plan is to live in the vehicle for 2 years, and once I have a nice chunk of money saved, explore better options at that time. If the car lasts me 12 months with no major issues, I'll be fairly comfortable cash-wise. Head above water. If it lasts 2 years and then goes completely kaput, I wouldn't have a care in the world. I can buy a new Prius, truck camper, etc. So...

My needs are very short term. I'm not looking to buy a15 year old Prius and hope it drives for another 5 to 10 years. Further...

I have a pretty decent job, so if occasional repairs came up that cost $100 or $200, I can grin and bear it. But what I'm worried about are having constant issues that run into the upper hundreds or more. Wouldn't be able to deal with that AND keep my savings target on track.

#6 Hybrid Hobo, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you're healing well!

These are positive signs.
    Get somebody smarter than me to tell you how to obtain the official maintenance records from Toyota.
    There's a way to do it, I just don't remember what it is.
    Also....pay for a carfax report before you spend money to have the car inspected by whatever mechanic that you plan to work on this car if and when you buy it.
    They're not bullet proof - or even bullet resistant - but it's cheap insurance at the price.

@ known issues.......not many.
    Some oil use on the back nine.
    Catalytic converters are known to fail from excessive oil burning and exposure to sawz-all blades if you live in a high crime area and park outside a lot (in the city - NOT camping)
    Rear (drum) brakes will sometimes get sticky from corrosion.
    MFD - or multifunction display will sometimes become a malfunction display.

If it were anybody else I'd tell you to stay well clear of a teenaged hybrid after facing down a major health issue and with limited funds!
    HOWEVER (comma!) a dear friend of mine is a stroke victim, and so I'm familiar with some of the after issues.
    The Pruis 'might' be good for the wallet, but the camping WILL be good for the soul - and Priuses (or other hybrids) lend themselves to the camping life most capably and as a bonus will give you about 1.5kw worth of cheap, reliable, and QUIET auxiliary power generation during a prolonged outage......which is....sorta WHY you're looking for one.

Try to save some of your nest egg for the repairs that WILL be a part of owning a vehicle with more years in the rear-view mirror than in front of the windshield.

Establish a relationship with a good independent mechanic.

AVOID dealerships, unless actually visiting one is the only way to get the maintenance records for this G2 or any other Yota you intend to buy.

Let us know what you buy and when you buy it.
    USE THIS FORUM to answer specific maintenance questions before handing the keys over to a mechanic.
    TRY to get over the "not a mechanic" syndrome if at all possible given your health.
    It's not that hard, and you can save REAL money by doing the easy stuff (filters/fluids) yourself.

GOOD LUCK!

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  8. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a bunch for the words of wisdom, ETC, and double thanks for your well wishes. It's amazing how a brush with death from a medical event can light a fire under one's butt, and make them re-prioritize their entire life. Yet, that's exactly where I am now. I hope your friend is doing well.

Thanks, too, for everyone else's feedback, as it's much appreciated. The plot has thickened with some recent news!

After texting the car owner and specifically asking if the 'new' battery he had installed was factory certified OEM, a remanufactured unit, or if the cells were simply swapped out, he said it was OEM, and done by a very well-known Toyota dealership here in NJ. So, coupled with the receipts he has, this shouldn't be too difficult for me to confirm.

Based on this, is his price of $4,000 fair? Exterior condition is a solid 8 out of 10, but I've yet to inspect the inside, though I'm assuming it's about the same.

Again, I'm just looking for this car to last me 24 months with no major issues ('major' being complicated repairs outside of a couple hundred bucks).

Worth the gamble at that price?

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery is 2k+, so in most any situation but yours, i'd say very fair.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ydpplqbd likes this.
  11. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Probably the 2006 Prius is not the best choice out there since you do not work on your cars. It is a very reliable car which means has half the repairs of an average 15 year old car. However, a 10 year old corolla or civic or mazda 3 for a couple thousand more will have way less repairs than this 15 year old Prius since are newer cars.