1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions on big screens and 3-D

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Note: we can't use the HDMI connection with our TV. We are still using the RCA plugs.

Sigh.

We do use the best Component video cables that we can realistically afford. Our next TV will do HDMI.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just finished watching The Thin Red Line, which I rented on the basis of its position in the top tier of Blu-ray movies on the AVS forum. I watched it in two sessions, as it is nearly three hours long. It well deserved this position. The cinematography was glorious, as is the audio. Definitely a showcase for Blu-ray. I am very happy with my system.

The movie was excellent as well. Apparently people who think war is glorious do not like it. I have no idea whether it is realistic or not, but it certainly does not glorify war.

3. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We took the plunge and got our new TV today... and, it wirelessly streams Netflix!

We watched one movie, and it was actually better video quality than when we watched the same move on DVD. Wow.

We also added the surround sound system. This rocks.

TV: Vizio, 47", "TruLED"
    Blu Ray: Sony
    Surround: Sony

Us: Happy. :)

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yay! I was going to comment earlier about your watching using TV speakers. Even cheap HTIBs are better than all (or almost all) TV speakers.

It should be almost a crime to watch DVD or BD movies at home that have >2 channel stereo on TV speakers. Doing so means you're missing almost half the experience. You've got to be able to watch action movies w/explosions at a level where the floor shakes. :)

I haven't been watching this thread carefully, but for anyone looking to get a new TV, if you're watching on TV speakers and watch movies, it'd be wise to allocate some $ towards some sort of surround sound setup. It doesn't need to be a $200K+ setup but at least should have 5.1 support.

5. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice system, Rae Vynn! Vizio is known for having some of the best internet app support.

Daniel, you make me want to buy "Thin Red Line". I was going to on a Black Friday sale on Amazon, but it went too fast for me to snatch it up. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay non-bargain pricing.

6. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just switched our Netflix account to Blu Ray.

Avatar rocked on our new system. So did an episode of Buffy -- it is amazing how much improvement the "up grade" feature of the BR player and the TV makes on a "regular" movie! Wow.

Yes, the new sound system is great. It was $100 off at Costco, and since it is Sony, and the BR is Sony, we thought that would be a great match.