1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions on if I should buy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Elisa daSilva, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Elisa daSilva

Elisa daSilva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m looking to buy a car and found a 2010 Prius that looks in good cosmetic shape and owner reports no issues. The car has 206,000 miles and the hybrid battery has never been replaced. Price is $4,500 firm.

I’m concerned about the high mileage and possible hybrid battery dying soon.

My 2008 has 180,000 and I know the battery will soon have to be replaced.
    So my question is what do you think about the price, with the mileage .

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Keep the $4500 to spend on your own car instead.

Montgomery and Elisa daSilva like this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep, IMHO your gen 2 is actually more reliable than the gen 3's. If your car is in decent shape, I'd spend the $4.5K on repair cost.

If you buy that newer car, you will be out $4.5K and still need to spend more money on repair cost. There's 206K reasons to expect major repairs are around the next corner. Your car is only at 180K and your expecting repairs.......

Hopefully saying this out loud will help you make a decision......

Elisa daSilva likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2008 is way better than 2010

Montgomery and Elisa daSilva like this.
  5. Elisa daSilva

Elisa daSilva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for your answers! I didn’t know 2008 was a better year.
    I’m not sure about fixing my car because it needs a new hybrid battery, brakes, the mileage display resoldered, and has some unknown electrical issues that cause the inverter to fail twice in two years, bizarre things like car randomly locking and unlocking; sometimes locking me in and wont let me out , a destroyed key fob, and the interior is just bad.
    At this point I think I d be better with a different Prius that is less quirky. It’s been an ongoing struggle for three years.
    Any thoughts on the 2011 Prius?

bisco likes this.
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's almost identical to 2010, other than being slightly less aged. Any used car is a gamble, especially at that mileage. As others have noted, the 3rd-generation Prius has some expensive weaknesses that your 2008 doesn't.
    That said, my 2011 has been nearly trouble-free so far (except its failing clear coat, and disintegrated rubber window trim strip), but has been only about two-thirds of that mileage.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to jump ahead to a less-used Prius that has an honest shot of 1) having fewer quirks than your car today plus 2) a good outlook for at least a few more trouble-free years, then you should be aiming for 2016 or newer.

Grit and Elisa daSilva like this.
  8. DavidDavid

DavidDavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would go with the 2010 Prius, the only big issue they have is the head gasket, it cost to fix, but it's easier to work than the 2008. also the 2008 has 3 big major issues that cost a lot to fix, brake actuator, the cluster light, and the battery and some engine issue

RR Rauzon and Elisa daSilva like this.
  9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2010-15 Prius and 2012-17 Prius v with high miles is a big no.

The hybrid battery is expected and will cost you. The 2010-14 also have low tension rings to carbon up the egr, intake and head. It leads to excessive oil burning and head gasket failures. Some who "wait" because the hg symptoms are not typical blow holes in the block.

Then we have brake booster failures which no longer covered by an extended customer service program, $2500 right there. Don't forget the weak inverter which can strand you without warning. Toyota still covers this but it makes the car potentially unpredictable from a reliability standpoint. On the plus side the transaxle is good as is the ac system. A conventional Corolla, Camry or Civic will give you lower cost of ownership and can be repaired by the good old boy down the road.

#9 rjparker, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For any third gen for sale with more than 150K miles, there's a decent chance it's being ditched, due to a blown head gasket. Doubly so when the price is so "good".

RR Rauzon and Elisa daSilva like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can only afford a few thousand, i think you might get more for your money with a non hybrid, and the repairs will be cheaper too, with more places able to work on them, and less expensive components.
    i wouldn't hesitate to do the work your car needs, except the electrical gremlins, they can be tricky, and quite costly to track down.

Elisa daSilva and Grit like this.
  12. RR Rauzon

RR Rauzon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

trying to find things you’ve written here about the owners here (like me) driving one of these old Prius v models for past 10 years. Having to pay for the hybrid battery this week.
    What can we do preemptively on these other items? Or should we just sell asap?

13. RR Rauzon

RR Rauzon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    What precisely can we do with friendly mechanic down the street on preemptive maintenance especially on
    1) head gasket
    2) brake booster
    3) inverter

obviously I lost the lottery here with hv battery failure at 125,000 miles. 10 years in

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Age and heat kills hv batteries. Be sure the battery cooling fan is not clogged or the intake is not blocked. On a v wagon the intake is under the passenger rear seat and has no filter.

The vin on your 2014 v allows you to determine if the engine has updated pistons and rings. If the last six digits are higher than the table below, based on the manufacturing plant, you have updated pistons and rings, reducing your chances for oil burning, carbon buildup and head gasket failure. The v wagon plant digit will be a 3 or a J.

Prius 2014 Vin Production Change.jpg

Regardless of rings, oil changes every 5k miles instead of 10k miles is highly recommended.

If you have an oil burner, egr cooler and intake manifold cleanings would be smart at 100k and then every 50k miles. This is not cheap at a shop, perhaps $600 - $1000 each time. No oil burning and maybe you can clean the carbon buildup every 100k miles.

Temperature thermal cycling. Don't let the car idle in Ready for long periods and avoid routine stop and go commutes of 30 minutes or more. Too much thermal cycling of the engine and particularly the cylinders is a likely contributor to hg failures.

No guarantees these will avoid a hg repair. There are fundamental design issues. When the severe metal to metal morning shakes start and quickly smooth out for the rest of the day with no codes, start planning on a head gasket. Don't wait until its every day and you are losing coolant fast. The engines will bend rods or blow holes in the block for some who wait too long.

For the brake booster system it might be worth a complete Techstream flush at 100k intervals. This is a comprehensive flush that ensures all passages of the master cylinder are included.

The inverter needs a Toyota firmware update to hopefully reduce stress on its power transistors. Check with the dealer based on your specific vin.

Keeping the two cooling systems functional is obvious but the most important thing is to shutdown if a temp light or hybrid light comes up.

RR Rauzon and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Pretty thorough hit list. One more thing: engine coolant pump (aka water pump) has a plastic impeller, worth replacing (along with thermostat) by 150k miles.

RR Rauzon likes this.
  16. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you cant afford a gen 4 Prius I would keep and repair your 2008. $4,500 will replace the hybrid battery, full brake job, detail the interior, and get the combo meter fixed at Texas Hybrid Batteries. Might even have money towards a new ABS Booster. But a good used Corolla is not a bad idea.....find a 2012 corolla...not sure about the updated pistons and rings on those.....(n)