1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions please, Hybrid vs Efficient ICE Car. Is it worth the investment?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by harrysprius, May 25, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you've got a keeper. Those are good numbers, considering the 17", the highway driving.

I would leave the tires where they are: the 17" have diminishing returns at higher pressures. I think they'd actually wear better at higher pressures, but the ride is harsh, and the extra jarring has got to impact wheel bearings and suspension components. 35~36 is a good sweet spot, slightly higher than spec, but not too much.

2. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At least I get a discount on tires...I work for a tire company. :)

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what tyres are you running?

4. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's something I didn't recognize, and I recognize most, being in the business. I'll have to double check. I'll try and post it tonight. I have had great luck with Ecopias in the past on other cars. I picked up a couple miles a gallon on my Kia with them and they were also one of the best riding tires I had on it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, the tires are Velozza ZXV4 215/50R17 95W XL. Not exactly a high end tire. That may be hurting my mileage a bit. Not sure about their rolling resistance. They do however ride, grip and handle great. Noise is acceptable, but a bit on the high side. I'll see if I can find out when they were put on and give people feedback about how long they last.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those tires have significantly bigger OD than the usual 215/45R17. Unless a typo?

If correct, it would result in car underestimating distance travelled, by maybe 2~3% (just guesstimating, on a phone right now).

It would also sorta shift "gearing", maybe??

7. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a set of Venezia Crusade HP tires on my Mazda 3. Looks like about the equivalent to the tires you have. After about 20,000 miles on them, I was getting ready to rotate them and found that the 2 tires on the front had the cords showing through on the outside edges! Absolutely the worst tires imaginable! I would watch those tires carefully and the first excuse you can find to replace them...do it!

8. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No typo, that's what they are. They look brand new. I wonder if Carvana put them on, or if they were already on it? How do I find out f they are low rolling resistance tires? And thanks for the heads up NavyLCDR.

9. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  10. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So this is what I could find about them....Not very confidence inspiring. And since they are brand new and NOT LRR, that is probably contributing to my mileage disappointment.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your mpg is not bad though. This is a sort-of "sleeping with the enemy" time: I would just use them, keep an eye on the tread wear, read up on replacement prospects.

12. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you think that Carvana should have sold the car with the wrong size tand with a non low rolling resistance tire on it?

13. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    48.8 is especially good on a model with the 16" tires like that 2010 Model V - those tires handle better at the expense of a couple of miles per gallon :)

EDIT: I mean 17" tires

#73 breakfast, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  14. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why does the tire size effect the MPG's? Is it the profile or height of the sidewall, or is it related to the different overall diameter? I'm not sure I understand the logic? This has the 17's on it by the way.

Around town I'm high 40's, but once I hit the highway I'm low 40's.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wider tires reduce actual MPG. I don't know all the reasons besides increased air drag from the larger cross section.

Taller tires reduce apparent MPG by throwing off both the speedometer (you are moving at higher speed that the gauge shows, and higher speed inherently reduce MPG) and the odometer (you get credit for fewer miles than actually traveled). You must make adjustments for these to correctly figure the real MPG.

HPrimeAdvanced and Zythryn like this.
  16. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But does the height of the tire, or the size of the sidewall actually impact the true MPG? I can see a wider tire having a larger footprint and a different drag coefficient. I can even see a taller tire making ride height higher and again changing drag. I had two tires with the same width but with different rim sizes and same heights would one get better economy than the other? Would the difference in the side wall height change things?

Lower aspect ratios and shorter sidewalls are more and more popular. I think this is mainly due to handling responsiveness, but I'm not sure. A shorter side wall responds much faster because there isn't as much flex. I wonder if the shorter aspect ratio and less flex also translates to a "stiffer" tire and better economy as well. If so the 17' tire with the correct tire may actually give better mileage. Just thinking out loud. Maybe I'll go talk to some of the engineers....

#76 harrysprius, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, that's what fuzzy is saying. apparent, not actual. a larger rolling radius means your odometer calibration will be off.
    one revolution takes you farther, but is still counted as one revolution and multiplied by the oem diameter.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  18. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do understand what he was saying about the tire diameter. I'm just wondering about the rest of it now. Curiosity and all that.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i can't help with the rest.:oops:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same here. I've tracked about half of my 128k miles (mostly the first few years of ownership) and the lifetime average in my 2010 with 15" tires of varying brands is 45 mpg. Rural NH & VT highways are hilly and we get 6 months of winter tire use as well. When I have a lot of time off the highway (like the back way to Maine, all 40-50mph back roads) I see 50+. But generally it's low 40's all winter, high 40's all summer.

I'm currently running Michelin Defenders and when those need replacing I'll probably go with the Continental TrueContact.

[​IMG]