1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions please, Hybrid vs Efficient ICE Car. Is it worth the investment?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by harrysprius, May 25, 2017.

1. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree Hprimeadvanced. I don't think you can have the best of everything. If you get LRR, it seems logical that your sacrificing some grip, ect. I think I drive conservatively enough that it will be ok, and I'm willing to make that tradeoff. The Nissan Leaf I tried out had the LRR tires and it would break traction taking off if you gave it to much gas. Seems to reinforce that thought.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tires are certainly the #1 factor in grip/traction but you also experienced the EV property of 100% torque right off "idle" that electric drives are known for. In addition, traction control software parameters come into play here too.

jerrymildred and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

How did you like your Volt and the CMax as compared to the Prius fotomoto?

4. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Forgot important info re my earlier post,
    "you give up braking ability/traction when you go with LRR tires; this has been my experience with my Honda Insight Coupe: great mileage, poor stopping/tracking with LRRs; big loss in mileage (10 miles+) and much better stopping/tracking with "normal" tires."
    I got into a rear-ender with a Saab, thanks in large part to my LRR tires, as I merged out of the 405 carpool lane and she stopped suddenly. My speed at the time of merging was about 15mph, and I was stunned when my Insight locked up the brakes and slid into the Saab at maybe 2mph!! ALL of my previous cars AND my Prii would have easily avoided the collision. When I paranoidly went to "normal" tires on that Honda, there was a HUGE difference in braking and tracking performance. The "hunting" stopped but of course there was a HUGE penalty in mileage. Big warning: after break-in, test your brakes at a safe location; know what your car can/will do in an emergency!!

RMB and jerrymildred like this.
  5. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that's why almost every, if not every, hybrid comes with ABS and or Traction control.

6. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine did; to no avail!!
    That's what totally surprised me!! Perhaps the slow speed prevented ABS triggering?? All my NEW purchased cars since 1987 have had ABS, as did this 2005 Insight Coupe, but its traction was abysmal. At 70mph, this car would dance in lane, almost changing lanes due to extreme hunting on many freeways. The factory installed Bridgestones, were "skinny minis".

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    They're great. I only gave up the Volt for the CMax because of a lifestyle change when I suddenly needed more cabin room for daily family passengers (2-3 kids) and all their stuff. Once I went plug-in, I didn't want to go back to a "plain" hybrid and Toyota didn't offer anything at that time.

If I was mainly a commuter such as yourself, I'd stick with the Prius or regular ICE vehicle. I'm too late to this thread but I would have strongly suggested purchasing a vehicle with advance cruise control as the #1 criteria, comfort second, and MPG third.

8. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Much to the contrary of what one would think (and what i thought until I read up on it), ABS and traction control do not help braking at all. In my experience, ABS typically makes braking worse in terms of stop distance. What they help with is maneuverability, so you can still steer when braking on slippery or difficult surfaces.

The only things that actually make a car come to a stop faster are tires and brake components.