1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions Please on Original Wheels on Prius II through V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Apr 26, 2011.

?
  1. I'm happy with whatever wheels / covers get me the most MPGs

20 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. Completely satisfied, plastic wheelcovers and all

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I don't like the plastic covers, took them off, but I like the bare OEM wheels

35 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I don't like plastic wheelcovers, just offer it with attractive bare alloys

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I like aftermarket wheels only, don't care what comes on the car

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. I've had one or more wheelcovers fall off while driving

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. I don't like the wheelcovers or the bare wheels and don't want to pay to replace

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. I would like a larger OEM wheel as an option at least on the III and IV trims

17 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Hey, the Leaf comes with 16" wheels, can't we get the same size?

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Mine came with 17" OEM wheels and I like 'em

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ** pick multiple choices in poll if you wish **

** See post #7 also, thx **

Just want to see what people's opinions are on the wheels that ship with the 3rd gen Prius.

Hope there's a choice for everyone.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not sure what this thread is asking for. I bought the V because I didn't want to upgrade to aftermarket wheels. The factory 17" is among the best looking designs for the Prius IMO.

Edit: Got it. The poll didn't appear at first.

1 person likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 17's are nice on the Prius. A wee overkill for my taste with the 45 tires, but I probably wouldn't mind.

When I stood back and looked at the 2010 III , Silver with the Silver painted wheelcovers, it sure didn't pop. The wheelcovers blend right in with the body color - no contrast, especially if car is dirty. Nice car, but IMO, the shoes are hurtin'. I wasn't going to pop for a V after kissing off $12k+ getting out of the '09.

Many won't spring for a V for the wheels.

I think Toyota can do better on the Prius II - IV wheels. We want this to be even more mainstream, right?

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then your problem is the color? Factory 17" is the same color as the silver too.

Given that the 15" wheelcovers share basically the same design as the factory 17", the problem is size and Toyota is sticking with 15" for fuel economy. When I first got my Prius, someone asked me "What are 17" wheels doing on a Prius?"

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I don't like plastic wheelcovers and I wasn't very fond of the bare 15's either. Some sweet 16's on a plain III, I'da probably hit it.

Makes me wonder what 16" alloys are doing on a Leaf. That car needs efficiency more than any other I know of.

I do not find the 17" OEM to be an exact color match to the Silver body - they do have some contrast and stand out.

6. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Like 32kcolors, love my 17"...would not trade them for anything else aftermarket.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ** See pics. thanks SuperchargedMR2 **

Shown below are 16" wheels taken straight off a Matrix XR. I think the overall size of wheel and tire look very reasonable on Prius. I think it would be great if this size in a special design (no plastic wheelcovers!) for Prius were available optionally for, say, Prius III and / or IV trims (midrange trims).

5f8ed160.jpg 3e280edf.jpg a18f8cb1.jpg

Note - Pictured above is a 16" x 6.5" wide wheel (very common OEM size and Nissan Leaf has this size) which is sized right in between the standard 15" x 6" wheel and the V model 17" x 7" . Low rolling resistance tires are available in 16" and typically cost only about $20 more each than the 15" tires.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not really wild about any of the OEM wheels for the G3...but since I'm almost 50 now (I got over the wheel thing a loooong time ago) I'll probably keep tham like they come. I do like some of the aftermarket rims that I've seen on G2s...but I always seem to have better things to do with a thousand bucks or so. My 2 M/C's still have OEM rims for example.
    There's 10-zillion aftermarket wheel manufacturers out there that can help you spend some of yer $$$ if you want to stand out a little. Clearly this isn't a Toyota priority---or else they'd offer more OEM styles, like most of the other makes do.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That makes no sense. 16" on the III but 15" on the IV? With Toyota options the way they are (i.e. only 1 door SKS and no leather on the III), the II and III would keep the 15" wheels and the IV would get the 16" wheels. However, that may still prove problematic if there's a weight issue with the Solar Roof option.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got it divi'd up among fabric and leather options.

Prius II and III's lookers are fine with fabric. Some will spend $1400 ish more for JBL and 16's / no covers - they want some options but keep price down a bit (that might be $25,410 sticker w/ mats). A few will spend $2.2k extra for the 16's, JBL, nav, USB. Solar roof might be a problem weight wise, might not.

Prius IV and V lookers know they want leather. IV's couldn't care less about fancy wheels, but they want the comfort / convenience items - 3 door SKS, nav, fancy mirror, etc...

The V lookers want leather of course, but they value and will pay for something a little more edgy - give 'em the 17's and tech items. Solar roof not important.

16's starting on IV's I think makes potential buyers reach too far for it - I think a basic IV like that would be high $28k's or 9 (not going to check).

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More OEM styles like most other makes? You mean like Honda putting a decent looking alloy on the 2012 Civic Hybrid? (can't speak for the $24k entry price, WUWT?) Or Nissan putting a sharp 16" on the Leaf? (Notice how I don't mention Volt .. so expensive, who cares).

I think aftermarket rims on a used car ultimately lower the value upon resale. Then there's the hassle of selecting a rim that should work on car. And you'll likely want to wait until first set of tires wears out which may be 40k miles. What else? And the $600+ for new wheels. And from what I've noticed, I think all aftermarket rims are not 'hybrid style'. They tend to be much more open which I think contributes to reduced fuel economy. Look closely at the 2012 Civic Hybrid, HF and the Prius wheels - more enclosed.

Also, having 4 OEM rims and tires laying around the garage or apartment not convenient. Can't speak for those who use spare wheels in Winter.

Let III buyers have some nice wheels, make them more happy :) Sell more Prii.

12. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Prius IV - they want leather and the extras. Don't care about bigger wheels. If they did, they spring for the V."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^ true, but I wish the IV came with stock fog lights and side mirror signals (<--also wish this was standard on V). I think it's pretty lame the II and IV look exactly the same on the outside considering the price difference.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Where's your data showing that IV owners as a group couldn't care less about wheels, enough to exclude the 16" wheel option entirely from that trim? Otherwise, that's an extremely faulty assumption.

14. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the V and would go further and say if I didn't like the rims, I wouldn't even buy the car. Wheels are integral to the overall design and very few aftermarkets approach what the 17's OEM do for the Prius. The G3 has chunky proportions: short front and rear overhang, higher beltline, wedge shaped, thick line between the side crease and base of windows. It is only fitting to have a wheel spokes that are thicker. The 17s produces better looking stance. It's seems wrong to have a chunky car on little wheels, like a 6", 200lb man with size 6 feet.

Nice wheels are like nice shoes.

4 people like this.
  15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad, that was hypothetical. But if they did want fancy wheels and had to have leather, that spells a V

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is far cheaper to add aftermarket fog lights than a quality set of OEM-like rims and tires.

howeva, ok then, foglights on the IV, but same wheels.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmmm, does Honda offer more than 16 and 17" rims on all their cars??

Toyota offers 15" and 17" rims, depending on trim level. How is that any different than any other brand (non-luxury)?? Leaf offers ONE choice. Volt...same. Civic Hybrid...one. Even the regular Civic and Accords don't offer more than 2 rim choices. So, why are people complaining about what Toyota offers in the Prius?? They offer two distinct choices.

Whether the 15" rims are attractive or not is a personal taste. 15" rims do serve a purpose for better fuel economy. 17" rims are for people who want a more aggressive/sporty look. Anyone can buy the 17" rims at any Toyota dealer...for a fee. Someone can look at the Accord and ask why Honda does not offer 20" rims (or 15" rims for the fuel economy concious crowd)...just as you ask why Prius doesn't come with 16" rims. If you want 16" rims, then go aftermarket...the same for the Honda Accord owner who want 20" rims.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My issue is they saddle you with plastic wheelcovers on the II - IV. Now, IMO, those wheels don't look all too hot without the covers because they have a groove that runs around the edge of the rim that is not found on bare alloy wheels.

Even those 16's off a Matrix in post #7 look much better than the stock setup. Toyota could run those 16's through the entire line or III - V and differentiate the IV and V with foglamps. I doubt many would complain. Then people could put 17, 18 or whatever.

Just put a nice OEM wheel on all Prius', that's it. Don't make customer do extra work. It would make all Prii's look a little sharper.

Also, the Leaf, Volt and Civic Hybrid do not have plastic wheelcovers. Is Toyota doing this because people scratch their covers and want to throw on new ones before they sell? Maybe they requested that during research for the car.

I can tell you this Thai, if I had bought a Prius, there was no way I was going to pull the rims, have them sitting around the garage and spring for aftermarkets, nor would I have sold the OEM 15's, nor was I going to spring for a V. It likely wouldn't have been a huge deal had I bought the car, but it was a small factor in passing this time around.

20" rims on an Accord IMO would be overkill. 16 - 18 is about all that car can own up to.

19. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe they did this to keep price low?? Are we sure that the Matrix 16" rims won't damage the fuel economy??

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    List a wider fuel economy scale depending on what wheel options a customer buys. I think the Prius should have 15's with covers as stock with 16's & 17's as options. Use existing wheels, that they manufacture now for other Toyota & Scion models, so there is no additional manufacturing costs.

My choice, a Prius Five for the wheels :p

Mike