1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions Please on Original Wheels on Prius II through V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Apr 26, 2011.

?
  1. I'm happy with whatever wheels / covers get me the most MPGs

20 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. Completely satisfied, plastic wheelcovers and all

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I don't like the plastic covers, took them off, but I like the bare OEM wheels

35 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I don't like plastic wheelcovers, just offer it with attractive bare alloys

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I like aftermarket wheels only, don't care what comes on the car

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. I've had one or more wheelcovers fall off while driving

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. I don't like the wheelcovers or the bare wheels and don't want to pay to replace

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. I would like a larger OEM wheel as an option at least on the III and IV trims

17 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Hey, the Leaf comes with 16" wheels, can't we get the same size?

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Mine came with 17" OEM wheels and I like 'em

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's funny. They'd put LRR tires on some Vs but not others, but how do we know that the original (non-warrantied) Michelin tires are in fact LRR and not just the OE replacements? I read that OEM tires supplied to manufacturers are not exactly the same but a close approximate to O.E. tires that you buy off the shelf.

Is there a symbol somewhere on the tire marking it as LRR (Green X in Michelin's case) and can someone with those tires on a V check this for us?

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyos are not LRR??

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Toyo Proxes A20 hasn't been listed on Tirerack for quite a while. Do they even make it anymore?

4. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I was shopping for tires last month, I could not find them anywhere, except at Toyota dealership. Even Toyo distributors did not have them. Toyota dealers were asking $250 each for them! :(

But, I am sure that they were LRR. It would be strange that it was not when the other two OEM alternatives are.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. Tire manufacturers can be asked to mass produce non-LRR sets with limited treadwear (to save costs). After all, Toyota already got their magic 50 mpg number by cleverly keeping the weight in check and no longer needs to worry about achieving as high mpg as possible on the V.

Can someone with stock Michelin on the V check for evidence of "Green X" on the sidewall?

6. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have it. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. According to TireRack, there are only 3 sizes of this tire that qualifies as Green X.

1 person likes this.
  7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How do you know that Toyota does not worry about the tires and fuel economy? I am sure that Toyota made certain specs that all OEM tire manufacturers must meet. So, i am sure that Toyos are LRR tires...if the other tires are (which is the case).

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They already got their magic 50 mpg number from EPA-testing one of the lower trims and are able to advertise it as such. If they were concerned about the V's fuel economy, they would have equipped all the Vs with LRR tires, not just some with and some without (namely the non-LRR Bridgestone Turanza EL 400-02).

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You said I was hung up on 16" wheels. It's not the wheel diameter, it's the fact that 16's allow you to run 55 series tires on the Prius.

55 series tires are substantially less than 45 series tires in cost.

tirerack shows only 8 offerings for 215/45-17 in LRR
    they show 38 offerings for 205/55-16 in LRR (I've checked rev/mile, it's the right size)

215/45-17 Ecopia priced at $194 each
    205/55-16 's priced at $104

215/45-17 Green X priced at $178
    205/55-16 Green X priced at $139

I'd opt for less pricey tires on Prius and less jarring on expansion joints :)

10. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why don't you poll V owners if they want to give up V's rims for those 16" Civic rims on high profile tires??? There are plenty of folks who would love to upgrade their 15" rims to the 17" V rims...high demand! Why do you think that is when there are so many aftermarket choices?

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never heard anyone complain when the 2nd gen Prius had 16's on the Touring version. I doubt anyone was calling out to get 17's standard.

As for aftermarket wheels, to me, they look just that - aftermarket and rather out of place on a Prius. I see nothing that comes close to the design of the 17" Prius V wheel in any size.

Doubt anyone with a Corolla S is wailing to get 17's standard on the car, they are happy with 16's.

Betcha if Toyota had gone with 16x6.5 wheels on the IV and V, it may well have worked so people could get the wheels and sunroof option.

Imagine that, a set of classy wheels on a $30k Prius IV. Now they get plastic wheel covers and 65 series tires, and car looks just like a III or II from outside.

Just right size for Prius. Those tires are too high profile?

5f8ed160.jpg

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "loving the look" is reasonable?
    "saving gas" is unreasonable?

Sad commentary.

But given all the people on the forum wanting to 'upgrade' to 17"s rims, shouldn't 15"s be cheap. In fact, shouldn't you be able to buy 15"s for less than you sell the 17"s (or even trade), saving money before you even drive a single mile?

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, of course, but you should plan on never selling the car if you do that because that'll devalue it big time.

14. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, if you READ the whole thread, then you get what i was saying. Please see my post: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-wheels-prius-ii-through-v-5.html#post1316309

Lets just say that you do find someone willing to trade rims. It would be unlikely someone local, unless you're really lucky. What is the shipping cost to ship 4 rims across states?? How much are for tires on the new 15" rims??

As noted above in my post, driving 12,000 miles a year, a Prius with 15" rims will save about $75 over a Prius with 17" rims. That, for me, is not worth trading it just for fuel savings. (Even if he makes $100 in profit from selling his 17" rims and getting 15" rims, then has he really save THAT much money??) Now, if the V owner like a softer ride AND/OR he likes the look of 15" rims, then i agree that he/she should make the trade.

OR that he/she wants to save money on future tire costs. That is understandable for me. But, even here, you can find high quality 17" Michelin LRR tires for around $140 at Discount Tire Co.. So, it ain't crippling for someone who initially had the finances to buy a car for over $30,000. (Now, if you're THAT tight on finances, then he/she should NOT have bought a Prius V in the first place!!)

15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would also note that for me, fuel economy saving was obvious top at the list when i shopping for the Prius. However, i was more than willing to give up 1-2 mpg for the V because of its other important attributes: LED headlights and ATP...both important for me in night driving (which i do more often than i want for my job). Awesome 17" rims were/are just icing on the cake! :)

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this setup not looking pretty darn good on the Prius? Nevermind the exact styling of the wheels, but the overall sizing of wheels and tires in the wheel wells ...

5f8ed160.jpg

btw, can someone confirm that 100mm bolt pattern is not compatible with 4" bolt pattern?

(I would think so since one metric, other not)

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Compared to this...no comparison...like I (and many others) said earlier, i love my 17" rim/tire combo as is thank you.

Attached Files:

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Factory 17's or aftermarket 18's look damn nice :p I have no care for a Sponge Bob ride, I am used to feeling lines & ruts in the roads with my previous and current ride :rockon:

Mike

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks way better than the 15" stockers for sure, but will it give Toyota what they want, i.e. 51/48 EPA rating?

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Idk what the point of this discussion is. Aftermarket rims done right that match the theme of the car look way better than anything stock. You get what you pay for. It's so true.