1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions Please on Original Wheels on Prius II through V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Apr 26, 2011.

?
  1. I'm happy with whatever wheels / covers get me the most MPGs

20 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. Completely satisfied, plastic wheelcovers and all

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I don't like the plastic covers, took them off, but I like the bare OEM wheels

35 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I don't like plastic wheelcovers, just offer it with attractive bare alloys

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I like aftermarket wheels only, don't care what comes on the car

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. I've had one or more wheelcovers fall off while driving

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. I don't like the wheelcovers or the bare wheels and don't want to pay to replace

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. I would like a larger OEM wheel as an option at least on the III and IV trims

17 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Hey, the Leaf comes with 16" wheels, can't we get the same size?

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Mine came with 17" OEM wheels and I like 'em

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, there are only very few members who've achieved that. Most people just slap on their favorite thin spoked wheels without regard to how it fits the Prius body and this is plainly evident in the aftermarket wheels thread. Most don't take the effort to do it right like Randydid, Rodney, etc. Even my favorite aftermarket wheels (Five Axis S6:F which Rodney has) look disastrous if fitted on the wrong color Prius and undropped. At least the factory 17" looks great undropped on any of the colors.

1 person likes this.
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of dropping, is the Prii a pain in the keister with it riding on Tanabe springs? I have twice done the unthinkable driving rental Prii and bumped freakin curbs pulling into parking slots at hotels or restaurants :eek: You should have been there to hear my wife hollering at me :( That was bone stock ride height. Maybe I am too darn used to driving my SUV :p I have been thinking of DF210's for my 2012 when I get to buy it next year.

tnx,
    Mike

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You need to get into the habit of parking with the nose far enough from the parking blocks or curbs (don't let the wheels touch the blocks at all and the Prius is short enough for the nose to be at least one foot away from it and still be well within the parking space). Many sit higher than the stock height and will scrap the underside and/or bumper.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I even scraped the rear bumper underside the other day backing into a slot at a Cracker Barrel. Dummy me. The rental Prii don't have the camera unless it is a Gen II which I try to avoid renting :p I'll get my act together before next June. Totally embarrassing to bump the curb with the bumpers :rolleyes: I had my wife & son cheering me on both times :cheer2:

Mike

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, nevermind.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be a concern also. My wife drive's a Saturn Sky RL which I have to drive it on boards to get my jack under it to change the oil. I imagine the Prius lowered will be interesting too :)

Mike

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, you guys win .... keep the 17" wheels on the Prius V (top end Prius).

But, lllloooooooooooooooooossssseeeeee the plastic wheel covers on the Prius IV (the one with leather seating).

That Prius IV needs to show some leg. Should be a nice looking alloy on showroom floor with no wheelcovers in sight. All the higher trim cars have that. No exceptions for the Prius. I don't want to hear, but take your plastic wheelcovers off and put in some center caps, forget it.

It sucks to see Honda Insight EX, Honda Fit Sport, many other $20k ish cars with nice looking bare alloys sittin' on dealer lots....

And there's the poor Prius with its yucky wheelcovers.

----------
    WEOH, most likely it won't be until 2016 model before any changes in regular Prius wheels. I think they buy massive quantities and don't make those kind of changes mid model. They have to fit it in with the solar roof thing too. Like said, geez, even the Insight EX wheels look decent.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the Gen IV will have decent mid level wheels?

Mike

9. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    fwiw, I drive 20,000 a year, not 12,000...

10. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Still, your payback won't be enough to justify buying 15" rims and tires JUST for fuel economy...but it's your call.

11. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of course it's my call :), but like i said, no changes for now, maybe in the future if gasoline gets a lot higher.

fwiw, I don't see why people think the 17's looks so much better, I think low profile tires / big rims look dorky. Not trying to argue against everyone on it, just don't understand it...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...

The better handling of the wider tires is an advantage of my 17"s though.

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hell Bob, if you want to sell your 17" rims for cheap, then i will buy it from you!! I can make a lot of money off them!!

13. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe in a few years.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, Thai. Bob already agreed to sell the dorky looking rims to me. Check is in the mail :D

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are one of the rare few who say this. The 17's seem a wee big for Prius.

I don't think anyone, really, complained about the 16's and 55 tires on the 2nd gen Touring. I think the tire setups were overall a better looking fit on the 2nd gen....

Then in Jan 2009, along comes the photos of the new 3rd gen ... body looks bigger, sleeker, nice ... what's up with those wheels? same size, hmmmmm .... plastic hubcaps .... eeeeeek.

Prius V ... 17" wheels, 45 tires, wow, like Matrix S, Civic Si, hmmmm that's odd, but ok I guess. it's on the fringes for sure. I like them, as long as the ride isn't too jarring (I recall the rental V feeling pretty taut on freeway expansion joints) Don't like the fact they are rolled into a $31.5k stickered car.

then there's the mystery ... how would the 17's work on Prius III? Is suspension tuning different? Not to mention cost of wheels and tires cha ching. It all sucks when a simple options for nice 16's with 55 or 60 tires in III and IV would help ... but some would say that would cannibalize V sales. Whatever, just make more options.

The IV buyers get screwed on wheels. It is out of line with what so many other cars can be optioned with - Corolla S, Camry LE, S, Matrix S, Civic EX, Accord EX, Fit Sport, Insight EX, Focus, Elantra , etc.... all those cars can be optioned with nice bare alloys in midrange models.

But, many people still like to see Prius as mostly a fuel economy machine. ...

That will limit sales.

16. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not one for wanting a car that looks cool I like personality more. I've even owned a Pacer and 2 Subaru's. :D

As for big wheels, maybe it's the guys putting HUGE wheels on older sedans that heave turned me off on that look -- I've seen better cartoon cars than what those look like. I'm sorry, but a Crown Vic with over 22" rims is just wrong.

I've heard of a lot of people putting the 17"s on their III, so it probably goes okay. The steering is a little different as the V has a wider turning radius and I think the ratio is a little slower on the VM. I don't know if that would make any difference to you at all...

17" low profile tires are a lot more expensive to replace unfortunately, and I'm not impressed with the Toyo's that came with the car.

>But, many people still like to see Prius as mostly a fuel >economy machine. ...

If I didn't want a fuel economy machine I wouldn't have bought a Prius, I'd be driving a Taurus SHO right now if I didn't care about that. the #1 goal was fuel economy and the safety features is why I decided on the V.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Turning radius is a bit wider...but, remember, the Prius is a small car to begin with...so, this is a non-issue.

The steering ratio on the V is significantly faster than II-IV...thus, sportier.

18. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yep, sorry -- I was thinking a bit backwards.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    050705 194s.JPG

At originalwheels.com they have the Prius 17's listed for $300 each. Mine are listed for $195 each and they're 1/2" wider. Don't know about dealer price. Can't believe how well these hold air.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw another 3rd gen Prius today missing a wheelcover. I've seen many like that. Looks bad.