1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions Please on Original Wheels on Prius II through V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Apr 26, 2011.

?
  1. I'm happy with whatever wheels / covers get me the most MPGs

20 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. Completely satisfied, plastic wheelcovers and all

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I don't like the plastic covers, took them off, but I like the bare OEM wheels

35 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I don't like plastic wheelcovers, just offer it with attractive bare alloys

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I like aftermarket wheels only, don't care what comes on the car

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. I've had one or more wheelcovers fall off while driving

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. I don't like the wheelcovers or the bare wheels and don't want to pay to replace

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. I would like a larger OEM wheel as an option at least on the III and IV trims

17 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Hey, the Leaf comes with 16" wheels, can't we get the same size?

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Mine came with 17" OEM wheels and I like 'em

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The Prius rental before our last one had two missing covers. One front & one rear :rolleyes:

Mike

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen 'em before missing a few covers. Look around and think, ok, they took all covers off. Wrong, there's one or two on other side. Could make Prius look more cheap. From looks of poll, doesn't seem most are too fond of their wheelcovers.

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I much prefer the Five's 17's but the covers are fine on the other models :)

Mike

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This first pic below wheel / tire combo would be an extremely reasonable size to get as an option on the Prius. These are taken straight from a 2009 Corolla S which has 16x6.5 and 205/55-16. I'm not looking at the design, but the overall size and look. (I already know the V owners will say - too small) Look how they sit in the wheel well - perfect IMO. They are listed as 4" bolt pattern which may not be compatible with Prius 100mm pattern, don't know. Anyrate, they are not hybrid wheels anyway.

the diameter of the 205/55 tires is actually closer to the stock 15" Prius tire than the 17" tire. 205/55-16 tires are very common, they are on so many cars. And they have LRR, Ecopias and such.

fyi, did you know it can cost $280 just for 4 wheel TPMS kit when you buy a set of rims? IMO, when you only want one set of rims and don't another set for Winter, seems a big hassle to buy aftermarket wheels/tires.

prius10spoke.JPG

I would roll without wheelcovers and shown below. I don't like how spokes don't reach edge of rim, but when it's a dual cover on or off wheel, that's what you get.

snowpri.JPG

blackpri.JPG

5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This V owner likes the look of the Corolla wheels on the Prius as depicted above^^^!

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

1 person likes this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 16's look nice too. Wonder why Toyota didn't make the 15's without covers? I would think it would have been lower cost to skip the wheel covers and go with a bare alloy wheel by itself. Are those 15's used on some other vehicle? It will be neat to see the Gen IV Prius and what changes Toyota makes to it.

Mike

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they did a bunch of marketing surveys years ago here or Japan and prospects said they wouldn't mind a covered alloy wheel (I don't think anyone intentionally pulls covers off their steel wheels :)

Prius 15's not used anywhere else TMK.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This V owner doesn't.

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, puzzling why they engineered a alloy wheel specifically to have a plastic cover over it when the v/Five has no cover. Don't know what to say ;)

Mike

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ah, nevermind.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe so they could use thinner spokes for less weight and covers to fill in gaps to increase fuel economy.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it that way :rolleyes:

Seen a whole bunch of 3rd Gen's this afternoon with the fancy 15's :p No Fives though. Some 2nd Gen's. Seems more pickup's & SUV's up here in Minnesota.

Mike

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 10 spoke 15 inch wheel probably was designed for some other car and pulled out of the parts bin for the Prius.

Car companies do that a lot.

14. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmm, now that makes sense!!

I can't remember another Toyota having the OEM Prius 15" rims. For how much Toyota has put into the Prius, i doubt that Toyota chose any rims out there for the Prius. There is a reason behind this wheel selection...Toyota would not go all out in designing the G3 Prius, yet used an ordinary rim from the parts bin.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know how to check Toyota's entire world wide line-up of cars for wheel types. How do you do that?

As far as the Gen III being so pure that they didn't dip into the parts bin, wheels are minor stuff. The V steering rack and power steering are Rav4 parts. There are lots of Corolla, Matrix, Scion parts in the suspension. The engine is based on a Corolla engine, I'm willing to bet it shares a lot of parts.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow interesting to learn the parts sharing :) Who would have thought a RAV4 part would be used in the Prius? Not me :confused:

Mike

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both cars have some Corolla roots.

Once you get beyond the bling and other shiny objects layer of a car, there is usually a lot of corporate parts sharing.

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would make more economic sense to share components. I guess then the Prius is somewhat of an econo-car since it uses some economic parts :doh:

Mike :D

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've read the engine is a modified version of the Corolla engine.

Also, don't think I've heard of anyone who likes the 15" alloy wheel with cover. It was more-or-less the main factor that pushed us to the Canadian Touring model, which has the 17": just standing back a bit and looking at both models.

Still, I'd prefer a nicely styled 15" alloy, without cover, as the OEM offering. Comparing to the 17", The mileage is better, the ride is softer, replacement rubber is a lot cheaper.

1 person likes this.
  20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seeing a lot of non-V Prii's with their plastic wheelcovers taken off by owner .... most of them don't have any kind of center cap on the wheels.

The 2nd gen came with center caps, so is that just aesthetic, or is it a dustcover to keep dirt, water from a mechanical joint in there?

at any rate, it looks quite tacky without center caps on 3rd gen, and I doubt most people will go to the trouble to get center caps.