1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opposition to Prius - Why?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pankajahire, Aug 31, 2010.

1. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the other "benefit" is that a comparable regular ol' car will also cost a few thousand dollars less. Engine aside, I figure the Prius would be comparable to a Honda Fit, or something like that.

I bought the Prius because of its MPG. Yes, I paid more and might not get that money back. But I was willing to do that tradeoff to say that I get 50MPH. The people at the office are kinda sick of me saying that.

Dumb Mike

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. And I would like to see Americans embrace this hatchback and hatchbacks more. If can only have one car, but need the extra cargo room, hatchback is the way to go. Only need to secure stuff with tie downs and use roll-up tonneau cover to keep prying eyes off your goods.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bobwilson4web ....

you're a riot, a very intelligent one.

:D

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just bought the Prius V and I thought i would never own one. My wife and I love it. You will not find a better Hybrid Vehicle on the road......Prius is the best value, just look in all of the consumer reports......Nothing come close. I have to say I did not like the previous years, because of body style and it was under powered. The 2010 to me is a very stylish car and the interior is to match.......also the increased horsepower sold me. We also own a Highlander Hybrid......To us nothing comes close to Toyota. I heard the same B.S. as you did from friends, but after the seen it up close and drove in it........Their point of view changed

5. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The cost savings regarding fuel go down tremendously as you go up the Trim level. Compare buying a Prius V at $30k versus a Prius II at $22k. Both get the same gas mileage, but the money you save on a prius II would buy you enough gas to fuel the car for 10 years (at $800 a year, driving 15,000 miles at gas around $2.85/gallon). For some who just like the added comfort and luxury though, they're willing to bite the cost. But from a financial standpoint, the higher trims are a waste of money since you are not gaining anything mileage wise, only aesthetic gains.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We Americans did embrace hatchbacks. They were very popular back in the late 70's and early 80's. They were the station wagons of that era. They were eventually displaced by bigger minivans and SUVs.

Tom

7. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I really get tired of seeing comparisons like that where people talk about getting their money back when paying the "hybrid premium." Lets do a different kind of comparison.

I can go buy a Chevy Tahoe starting at $34,000 or I can get a Prius V starting at $28,000. Not only does the prius save money in the initial cost of the car, but it saves tons of money over the years of ownership.

Everybody always wants to compare the prius to a lower-priced vehicle when trying to justify the price of a hybrid. But it never seems to occur to people that there are more expensive vehicles out there, and I'd take the prius 100 to 1 over a Tahoe (or Tankhoe, as I like to call them) even if the fuel economy was the same!

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1.

People are silly about these comparisons. All cars are liabilities, unless you run one commercially. No one talks about the "BMW Premium" or the "Audi Premium", but they all like to bash the "Hybrid Premium".

Making it even sillier for our cars, a Prius as we know it couldn't exist without the HSD. Take out all of the hybrid technology and it's not the same car. Talking about a non-hybrid Prius is like talking about a Porsche without the engine and suspension.

Tom

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like to ask about the carpeted floor mat premium. When does THAT pay me back? And the leather option? The DVD player for the kids? The chrome trim? The towing package? The Prius MUST pay back in gasoline savings, or you're an idiot. But nothing else needs to "pay you back" for some reason.

Bah.

2 people like this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're trying a comeback with the Acura TSX sportwagon and Cadillac CTS. likely more.

My 26 y/o niece says a traditional wagon, like the upcoming Acura TSX Sportwagon reminds her of a hearse, that she'd want to bow her head as it drives by.

I don't like the family wagon look - Camry wagon, etc... but I like the Venza's modern wagon look.

Look at the influence Prius (I think) has had on rooflines - BMW X6, Crosstour, Acura ZDX, ...

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Matrix base 19.5 Prius 23.5, so $4k up for Prius, but get more rear seat space, SKS, push button, .... and I'll bet 20 more MPG's.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So-called premium matters much more if buy new and sell in a few years. If ones drives the wheels off the car, 200k miles, enjoys and can afford it, who cares.

1 person likes this.
  13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone think for a moment Toyota could intentionally socially engineer a car that would get the reaction the Prius does?

Got tons of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias"]confirmation bias[/ame] at work...people that were predisposed to loathe the car and grasping "facts" to support their hatred.

14. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is America. Cars make statements about their drivers even if they do not intend to or even if the statement is wrong. That's just life. Like clothes, cars are fashion, even if the wearer does not have that intent.

Personally, I think my Prius is ugly. Honesty starts with "know thyself." As an engineer, I fully understand why it looks like it does...the Kammback, the skinny little tires, the cut corners for air flow separation, the tragic wheel covers. But, it's still ugly. It's just that I don't care that it's ugly enough to not drive one. And that fact, that I know cars make statements about me, and don't care that the Prius is ugly...those facts together also make a statement about me. It's like I'm going out in public in dirty clothes. Am I saving the Earth by conserving water, or have I just given up pride in my appearance?

Like it or not, that's what goes through people's minds when they find out I drive a Prius.

The other problem was hit right-on-the-head by Southpark. Prius drivers have a reputation for smugness. Maybe it's all the hate-based (negative) reasons for owning a Prius...I hate OPEC, I hate oil companies, I hate SUV's, I hate pollution, I hate global warming, I hate people who don't care about the environment. All these dislike-based reasons lead to the logical conclusion that the Prius is some kind of automotive hair-shirt in an effort to "do the right thing". I'm doing the right thing and you're not, is the definition of smugness.

I faced opposition from my friends too. In their hearts, they just didn't want me to become "one of those people" by buying a Prius. So since their hearts are in the right place, I tend not to be too critical, and assure them that I haven't changed.

I try to give affirmative reasons for having the Prius:

1. The new technology is cool and you know me, I like being on the cutting edge.
    2. It's quiet and comfortable.
    3. It's very reliable, and I have a long commute.
    4. I like the long range.
    5. It's cheap to operate.
    6. And, for the guys, liberal chicks dig it and they're easier.

Ok, go ahead and flame me for that last one..
    :fear:

1 person likes this.
  15. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :popcorn: (at least for the second half of reason 6)

Actually, my moderately right of center wife loves the car!

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our car also gets a lot of false claims and accusations.

Understand that I have no problem with real problems getting aired. The seats could be better; the backup beep (or for uniformity a click) should be outside, not inside the car; turn signal clicks should be at the exterior lights; the 'check engine light' should come on anytime the engine won't run including out of gas; cruise control should have both a normal and ECO mode and; the owner's manual needs an MPG vs mph curve.

As for ignorance, we can handle it and I have a lot patience for explaining, hopefully in a non-confrontational way, what is going on. Honest mistakes, again, we smile and laugh together and get back on track. But when critics 'make sh*t up,' it draws my ire for no one should tolerate a lie or those being deliberately misleading:

• Sudbury nickel nonsense
    • 'pay back' analysis
    • battery bullsh*t
    • just as good as . . .
    • 'Dust-to-Dust'
    • Lutz's hybrid chicks have hairy legs
    • hybrids are just a 'marketing success'
    • hybrids are just a 'green image'
    • hybrids don't make money
    So every time I see another one of these false claims, I pickup my 'clue by four' and look forward to some 'reality training.'

Bob Wilson

ps. For pure sex, I would always go to the most conservative, reactionary, Bible-thumpin', fundamentalist church. If you have to ask, its a Southern thang and you wouldn't understand.

17. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How about the Mini Countryman?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Although I don't agree with the sentiment, I understand it. For those people, saving fuel has no benefit beyond saving money.

19. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People might see the "benefit" or "pay back" differently. If I "think" I'm saving the world because my car gets better gas milage, that is a benefit to me. Yes, I get the benefit of saving money. But I sure get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I think I'm saving the world. Can't say I got that same feeling driving my old Explorer.

I hope I understood the post. Maybe I missed something, in which case I apologize.

Dumb Mike

20. just2plain2

just2plain2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I received the same remarks and looks when I mentioned purchasing a prius. Everything from unreliable to ugly and even they don't get the mileage promised. Have to say I have found most of it hear say opinion. The prius has actually came in above what I expected. Besides I can one day receive something back if I sell or trade my prius I can never get back the bucks I pumped in the tank of the hog I was driving. Worth the trade off to me:)