1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima 12V resurrected after being dead for 3 days

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Aug 1, 2013.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A few months ago, we went up to Denver and back in the Gen II. It still has the same Optima battery D51 that I put in 3 years ago...the one that allowed me to make another 30 miles on a P0A93 code for dead inverter cooling pump.

I have an 800W power inverter wired directly to the 12V battery. Yes, it is fused. This has been very helpful for power failures, less gas and less noise than a generator. But, being wired direct to the 12V, it will run it down eventually if left on. That is exactly what happened when we got back. We didn't use the car for 3 days and between the inverter and the car, the battery was flat: 4V.

All it took to revive was leaving on the smart charger overnight at 4 amps. Months later, we still get 50 mpg per tank and the 12V shows no sign of weakness. This is why an Optima is worth it. A stock battery from Toyota is unlikely to fare the same.

I know some folks have not had the same luck with Optima, but if you get a good one, it is really good.

OptimaJim likes this.
  2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have posted years ago but I just want to refresh everybody's memory.

Yes the Optima is hands down w/o question the best 12V battery for a prius, let me show you how to buy one on the cheap:
    First check Optima website for rebates, summer is their slow season as batteries tend to fail in colder weather such as Nov or Dec.
    Join a website such as ebates who gives you cash back on all your purchases, it costs nothing to join.
    the current yellow top optima battery that Advance Auto Parts sells is the DS46B24R and its $220 right now. Advance Auto Parts has the best coupons, sometimes as high as 50% off, but that's for smaller purchases, the max discount I have ever seen them allow is $50, so I just did a google search and found a 30% off coupon, I put the battery in the shopping cart and added the promo code, just as I suspected it took off $50, not $66.

that's the cheapest place I've personally ever seen an Optima battery sold, the shipping will be free as very few stores outside SoCal will actually stock them, and you'll get your $18 core charge as soon as you return your old battery to a local store.

Keep in mind you could save a few bucks buying a traditional lead acid battery from the toyota stealership (the optima's is AGM aggregated glass mat if I recall), but one trip to a mechanic, body shop, or accidentally leaving a door or light on overnight and it may become a paperweight. An Optima Yellow Top is designed for the types of deep discharges that is needed for a 12V Prius battery.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I feel like I've wandered into a revival meeting.

The battery Toyota equips the car with (and will sell you) is AGM also.

So the bad ones are bad but the good ones are really good?

Sheesh!

ahmeow likes this.
  4. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I also agreed with you. Factory 12V Toyota battery is also AGM. Ordinary lead acid battery in rear compartment of Prius is dangerous in a rear collision. Acid inside the broken battery will splash to the passengers.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fostel likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've had good and bad luck with the Optima D51.

First one lasted 7 years in the seasonally used, hot and high vibration Datsun 2000 Roadster. No complaints.

Second one lasted only 2 years in the Honda CR-V and could not be recovered with a smart charger. I conclude Optima has QC issues.

Have since gone to Odyssey PC-680 series batteries, with good results.

7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With no output or load from the inverter, there should be no drain, you may have a short somewhere.