1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima Battery installation 10 minutes max

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 5 Speed, Sep 26, 2017.

1. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2011 150k original Prius battery was starting to worry me and I found an Optima Yellow top from Jegs shipped for $167. It was the original battery and since I am the 3rd owner and I have no idea of the battery history I thought it was time for replacement. The original battery would report over 12V on my scan gauge in the morning with headlight load so it was still working pretty good but I wanted a little security. Removing the original battery took maybe 3 minutes and switching over the vent plug, removing the carry strap off the optima and installing the optima took maybe 5 minutes. This included putting a little dielectric grease on both of the terminals. The fit is perfect and now I will have one less thing to worry about. I am going to repurpose the original battery into my small camper that only illuminates a few LED bulbs and will see how long it lasts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you check the voltage before install?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I notice, going from OEM Yuasa to the Optima Yellow top, the latter was slightly higher, causing the the hold-down bracket to not sit properly. I slipped a washer under the bracket, that worked. It's a poor design, no room for adjustment, but there it is.