1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

optima d51 battery replacement, no post conversion listing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drew_flux, Dec 11, 2010.

1. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Drew,

Did the D51T1 optima battery fit? Could you install the vent hose? I am about to replace mine and I am waiting for a DS46B24R but I may get a D51T1 if it fits OK. I know the DS46B24R has a vent hole for a hose to fit. Not sure about the D51T1.

2. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The cargo container of Optima DS46B24R batteries just arrived into Australia yesterday. I have spoken to Graham Hicks from Optima and I have ordered one and it should arrive to my place today or friday at the latest.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi lopezjm2001. Can you give everyone a shock an let us know what the Australian price of that battery is. Thanks. :)

4. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok thanks. So $322 USD for the OEM and $275 AUD for the Optimo. It looks like a no brainer for the optimo then.

Just out of interest I might get a price from the Toyota dealer and compare.

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the Toyota OEM is cheaper. I rather encourage third party suppliers rather than give Toyota a monopoly. From what I have read the Optima battery is superior.

7. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just like you, tonight I just finished replacing my oem 12 volt battery with the Optima DS46B24R on my 2008 Prius. I had somewhat of the same issue with the rubber vent tube going to the battery. On mine, the elbow does fit into the new battery port, but it isn't very snug. I might wrap some electrical tape around it. Additionally, the vent tube seemed to barely reach; so I pulled on it a little, but the other end of the rubber tube came all the way out from the rubber grommet where it goes into the underside of the metal floor. I stuffed it back into the grommet, and assume that it is ok; although I don't know for sure whether or not the rubber tube connects directly to something underneath the metal floor. If it does, I don't know how I would be able to reconnect it.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about, and whether or not this is an issue? I think the tube is installed correctly, but would definitely appreciate some confirmation of that!

Other than that, my install was successful, and everything fired up ok. I'm now going to turn my seatbelt and reverse buzzers off again, and test the voltage.

Thanks, Chuck

8. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I answered my own question after re-reading my battery installation instructions...there is no problem, what I did is ok. However, like Tim, the elbow of the vent tube is not as snug as I would like going into the Optima battery. Has anybody else experienced this?

Chuck

9. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the Aussies, if only I saw this thread beforehand, I would've recommended Batteries Direct (batteriesdirect.com.au) in Peakhurst NSW. The D51T1 was already stocked at this retailer when i bought it in 3rd June 2011. And at that time, it was already stocked for a couple of months already. It cost me $279.12 at that time. Not sure how much it is now.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    See if batteries direct can supply the Exide Edge battery FP-AGM-51JIS and at what price this is also a Prius direct fit with 4year guaranty.