1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima - Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery Installer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by saechaka, Nov 30, 2010.

1. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. If I want to check the draw an any other car battery, I assume I do the same connection, the multimeter leads between the + cable and + post. Correct?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Or, you could measure between the - cable and - post.

3. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. Though my 05 is not here attm., I checked the draw on the classic's 12V battery: it fluctuates between .05-.06 amps. That seems low considering how the battery discharges to 50-60% (according to my smart charger) in a matter of days if I don't keep a maintainer on it. Could that be because the battery is nearly toast? It's about a 4yr old Westco AGM Miata battery. Voltage fully charged disconnected = 12.45. Connected and car running = 13.81. That is all low end V, right? Time for a new one?

When a smart charger indicates a battery is 100% charged, that doesn't necessarily mean it will hold a charge correct? Isn't that what a load test is for? OTOH, in the past a couple of load tests on my 98 Sienna failed to indicate a bad battery. I finally gave in and swapped the battery to solve the problem.

4. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears 12V battery prices have increased significantly since the early part of this thread. I'm looking at every local T dealer is quoting msrp $166. + 14. tax = 180. and eLearnAide's Optima D51R is $160. shipped. If you need the conversion kit that Optima is $180. I don't b/c my cables were upgraded for a Panasonic years ago and fit the Westco. Amazon sells the Optima much cheaper, but offers no warranty. Optima warranty is valid only through an authorized dealer. Bernie at eLearnAide is not an authorized Optima dealer, but he is honoring a 3yr replacement warranty.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct, although a battery's voltage might rise to the point where the charger thinks the battery is charged, that doesn't say anything about the battery's capacity or its ability to hold a charge as time passes.

Regarding your Classic, a current measurement of 0.05A - 0.06 A is quite high if the car is IG-OFF, all doors and trunk shut, no lights on, etc. I would expect to see around 0.03A.

0.06A x 24 hours = 1.44 Ah. Your four-year-old battery probably has 12-15 Ah capacity remaining. Hence it will be 50% discharged after 4-5 days.

Further, the battery voltage of a 100% charged, new AGM battery should be ~12.9V. 12.45V is much lower than this level.

6. Rb_newsletter

Rb_newsletter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which dealer gave for $150? Can give the dealer location/info?

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
  8. Rb_newsletter

Rb_newsletter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The link you mentioned quotes $199. Batteries from dealer costs only $200. Instead of going with optima I would rather go with Toyota dealer for 1 dollar more.

9. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered the Optima DS46B24R from the Advance Auto Parts web site for $170.99 including shipping to my door. They have a short term promotion for $30 off their regular price of $200.99 for web orders.

Amazon also lists this battery now at $156 + $26 shipping. I chose Advance because of their return policy and in-store warranty support. Amazon has a no-return policy on batteries, and you have to deal directly with Optima if you have a problem.

The Optima is lighter, more powerful, recovers from discharges better, and has a 3 year non-prorated warranty compared to the 1 year warranty on the Toyota battery. The Optima should last considerably longer than the 4 years I got out of the Toyota battery. It was a simple decision for me.

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It would be nice to see some numbers from testing these Optima batteries. For example, turn the car IG-ON by pushing the power button twice without pressing on the brake. Turn the climate control fully off. Then turn the headlights on. What is the battery voltage? Then turn the rear defogger on. What is the battery voltage?

11. Rb_newsletter

Rb_newsletter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1stToyotaParts.com ditched. Website accepted the order and a day later they sent an email reject the order. Reason stated was

"A battery is an item that can't be shipped. We are canceling your order at this time. If you want to pick the item up from our location in Tacoma, WA please place the order again and select Local Pick Up for the shipping method."

Can't they just display a note in their website before placing the order?

12. Rb_newsletter

Rb_newsletter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand this concept. If all other sellers can ship batteries, why can't toyota dealer ship them?

13. Rb_newsletter

Rb_newsletter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just notices the below comparison in batterymart website. Just thought it would be useful if someone wants to compare.

14. walterb

walterb New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    help with 12 vlt bATTERY HAVE 2002 PRIUS 180k 12 VOLT battery is orginal and now showing signs of dying,.. I do not see a OPTIMA replacement. Some place on this site years ago I heard there was a new 12 volt kit to put a better battery in place., suggestions from all are appreciated, I hope to sell this P off in in the next year or less. MY name is walter Iam 71 and handy with tools and auto reparis

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota offers a Panasonic-brand 12V battery for Classic Prius, check with your local dealer's parts dept. This battery is physically larger than the original so if you decide to purchase that battery you would also need the kit that includes a battery bracket and new battery cables.

16. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem with the local dealer option in IL was value. Price: $192, 1yr warranty. However, if a guy could go to Champion Toyota in TX, he can pick one up for $136. I chose the Optima D51R yellow top and I didn't need an installation kit 'cause my 01 was already upgraded privously. I had to bend the end tab on the tray and maybe a tab on the inner fender seam - that's it. Anyway, others have said auto parts stores can order the D51R, but you'll need the install kit if you're replacing original battery. Bernie at eLearnaide.com sells the D51R and terminal cable install kit for $180. shipped, 3 yr warranty.

Regardless of which battery you choose, it's wise to put a mantainer on it if the Prius will sit for more than a few days. My picture shows the maintainer leads attached.

Prius battery tray 004.jpg misc 039.jpg misc 038.jpg misc 037.jpg

17. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do you leave the maintainer leads attached even when not using them? Seems easier than digging out the battery by lifting the mat/cover but not sure if it will create an electricity hazard.

18. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Do you leave the maintainer leads attached even when not using them? Seems easier than digging out the battery by lifting the mat/cover but not sure if it will create an electricity hazard."

Yes, I too find it annoying to have to uncover the battery every time I need to maintain/charge it. So, I leave the leads on and the terminals have caps that cover them. One would have remove the cap and stick a wire in the female and strike it to the male post to short the circuit. I consider that little risk of electrical hazard. BTW, I recommend folks go to Optima's web site and read their recommendation for a proper maintainer for the Optima as well. Recently they offered their small maintainer free with battery purchase.

19. TRL

TRL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here it is, 8 years after your post - I just changed out the failing 12V battery in my 2010 Prius, which I had bought used, and I was curious if the battery I replaced was indeed the original. Finding out how to decipher the date led me to this thread, and so I checked out the label on my battery (picture attached). Guess what? It's also 250810W. Did the date-stamper just get stuck on that date, or is it a coincidence? (FWIW, Toyota's records show that my car was "first used" - i.e., purchased? - on November 8, 2010 )

Attached Files: