1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima Yellow Top Battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Solrokk, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Solrokk

Solrokk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading on PC, it appears this is the best battery choice.

Does this battery still need a modification, or is it's updated version no different than installing an OEM battery? What's the best place online to get this battery? I have a 2008 Prius with SKS.

I read there are different versions of the optima battery, one for non-sks vehicles and than ones with SKS.

Any helpful updated tips would be appreciated, thanks.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you need to make sure you get the right battery. I got an optima and when I got home I noticed it had normal sized terminals instead of the tiny ones on the prius battery. JIS terminals I think. so I had to replace the battery cable ends too, because the idiots at advance auto didn't have the correct battery and my original one was dead. honestly, the Toyota battery is probably just as good or better than the optima.

3. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Make sure the Optima battery has vent hole like the picture below. Should be Optima Batteries 8171-767-FFP (DS46B24R). I got my on Amazon

upload_2015-8-18_18-4-0.png

alekska likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go with the toyota oem, the optima isn't what it once was. the oem now has an 84 month warranty with the first two years full replacement, then pro rata.

but yes, the correct model optima has the correct posts and vent.

#4 bisco, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Follow Bisco's advice...

6. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please elaborate on this point.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been a lot of complaints of new batteries arriving undercharged or defective. not as many success stories as when they first came out.

9. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Classic american business story. Arghh.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Shop around as sometimes it is cheaper to buy through amazon than through the seller's site.

I have had no problems with the Optima I bought from elearnaid. Liberty Toyota sold me a crap battery that was replaced under warranty. Liberty's mechanic also broke the positive terminal cap. They offered to replace it but I declined.

11. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a fan of the Yellowtops. We have them in two '07s. Never have to worry about them, even when sitting for a week or more.

Do shop around. At the time, I found a considerable discount from Advance Auto Parts.

I noticed the DS46B24R seemed just a touch taller than the original. I put a washer or two under the hold-down bracket.

12. Solrokk

Solrokk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a shame. Well, I am glad that i asked before making a yellow top purchase. Most of the reviews on the battery were very good, but if it's not reliable as it once was, I guess I'll just go with toyotas battery, which has a discount this month so the battery will cost $178.44.

I appreciate all the responses in helping this new Prius driver out.

bisco likes this.
  13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About a year ago, I bought an Optima as a replacement for the ten-year-old original, and haven't had any trouble. Installation took more time than it should have, but that was due to discovering a puddle of water in the battery compartment. And, I dropped a nut a couple of times, and of course it fell under the battery...... ;)

14. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shame, shame, shame, you should have followed my instructions from when I replaced mine and used some white grease on the socket to hold that nut in place (and I stole that advice from a guy that used to post a lot.....dorunron) :p

kris

#14 cyberpriusII, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right, I should have. It would have saved me fishing the nut out - twice. Arrgh - and *then* putting grease on it. But then, I might not have discovered the water problem....

16. WFBowen

WFBowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. akaab

akaab Junior Member

FWIW - I've replaced the 12v battery three times on my 2004. The first Optima battery lasted almost two years, but the second went into full meltdown mode after only three months (Amazon purchase). I was on a road trip hundreds of miles from home and had to pull into a dealership for an emergency replacement with an OEM battery. $$$ but it was my only option.

As someone once said, the Optima isn't what it used to be.

2004 230k

Stevewoods likes this.
  18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your research needs improvement. There is only ONE size by Optima, made specifically for the Prius (Yellow Top, 38AmpHr). Yes, the initial production of Prius Yellow Tops had the wrong terminal posts, forcing owners to change cables or replace the supplied posts with JIS posts.

SKS Prius (like yours) came standard with the larger 45AmpHr battery from Toyota. Downgrading to a Yellow Top Optima, you loose 7AmpHr capacity. This 7AmpHr, might be crucial should you leave a door ajar or the map/overhead interior lights on, say overnight, or listen to the radio in ACC mode, for a prolonged period.

Optima Yellow Top: 38AmpHr, 3 year warranty.
    Toyota Smart Key 12V Battery: 45AmpHr, 7 year pro-warranty
    Bosch AGM Battery (likely made by Exide); 45AmpHr, 4year total warranty, not-prorated; $190 - $40 total promotions going on now at PepBoys
    Exide AGM Battery (FP-AGM51JIS); 45AmpHr, 4year total warranty not pro-rated; $190 at Amazon

For Convenience and simplicity, just go to a Toyota dealer. You will probably always be near one, and be down a battery for a few hours vs days from shipping back to Amazon or whoever.

19. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Any more information on the discount you got? Looking to replace a spotty Optima (now 3 years old) on my 2006 with SKS. Also the exact Toyota part number would be great if you have it handy. Thanks in advance!

20. Solrokk

Solrokk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The man at the parts desk said it was a promotion this month for the battery. I went in there saturday for ATF fluid change, and the man was very nice and printed out a pro-rated discount invoice for me and said they would honor the price whenever I was ready for the battery.

It was a 15% discount, this is the part number and price on my invoice for California.

Part No. 00544-21171-325 Net price now: $164.31 for a Truestart battery.

bisco likes this.