1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima Yellow Top Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tarheelbuc, Apr 28, 2014.

1. tarheelbuc

tarheelbuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius Touring with SKS and Navigation that needs a replacement 12v battery. I see the main one recommended here is the yellow top from Optima

Amazon has the battery on sale and can have it here on Wed for 147.05 delivered

The website most suggested here seems to be Elearnaid

The elearnaid site has the same battery with "install kit" for 186.00

What comes with this kit and is it necessary to just drop in the replacement Optima or ?

Does it make the job easier or what am I missing here?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, another thread said pep boys has them on sale and you get a $100. charger for free. make sure you get the model with the correct size posts and that it has a full charge before installing. all the best!(y)

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Elearnaid has two options available. The Group 51R yellow top is not an exact fit, but was available first, so elearnaid put together the installation kit (includes different battery cables) to adapt to the different-size posts of the 51R.

The direct-fit application came along later (Optima DS46B24R) and is also available from Elearnaid here:
    Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + , Prius V & Plug-in Prius with Instructions

It does not need an installation kit. This is likely also the battery in the Amazon listing you're seeing.

I'm showing the pricing at Elearnaid to be $166 including shipping to US states for either option.

I was originally going to go with the 51R, due to possibly better battery availability on the road, but went with the DS46B24R direct-fit instead, and am happy with it. The odds of finding a 51R in an auto parts store is still pretty slim, and with the direct fit, the original battery cables are retained.

We have done the DS46B24R replacement on three Prii in the family and they have been working out nicely. Two of them came from Amazon, and one came from Carquest with a special promotion. The DS46B24R is slightly taller than the original battery, so a washer under the hold-down clamp where it meets the floor makes for a good fit.

6. CatsAreGods

CatsAreGods Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  7. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CatsAreGods likes this.
  8. tarheelbuc

tarheelbuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info guys! I just couldn't figure out what the kit was all about..now I know...much appreciated!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Last year when I was shopping for a battery I didn't like the voltage of the one Pep Boys was selling. Their free battery installation offer does not apply to the Prius. The battery I bought from eLearnaid arrived fully charged.

dorunron likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd also second looking at the Exide Edge FP-AGM51JIS as strong alternative. The Toyota OEM battery is a good option over the Optima as well.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Exide has a higher AH capacity at 45 AH than the Optima at 38 AH. The Exide also has a much better guarantee.

John (Britprius)

12. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

As mentioned in the comments for that review, the reviewer seems to have the non-SKS model which comes with a smaller tray (and battery) which can be replaced with the bigger tray (for the SKS model that comes with a bigger battery) for $13 or so.

13. CatsAreGods

CatsAreGods Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Cool, I've already mentally committed to an Exide if I need a replacement.

Nexus 4 ?

14. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

I presume you meant to say "vent plug" instead of "vent tube"? Also, I gather from a different post the Exide comes with the elbow (that connects the vent tube to the vent port on the battery) taped to the side of the battery? If so, I would save the elbow that comes with the original battery for future use (may be just tape it to the side of the Exide that is installed?).

15. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, the vent plug elbow has been missing from several that I have ordered and the OEM does not fit in the Exide.

16. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Was there a particular vendor that you received the elbow from and not from others? For those that didn't come with the elbows, how did you manage the installs? TIA.

17. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, the vent plug elbow has been missing from several that I have ordered and the OEM does not fit in the Exide.
    I get them from a local auto parts wholesaler. I usually go back and get them later. One I modified the OEM but it didn't work very well. On the last one I looked into the vent hole and it looks as if it isn't actually a vent. It is just a hole that doesn't connect to anything. Is it possible that it doesn't actually have a vent?

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek:

That would be amazing if true.

19. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Do you mean you get the batteries or the elbows from the auto parts wholesaler?

20. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I heard it comes with a vent "plug" that you swap based on whichever side you connect the elbow to? If that's the case, I wonder why they would provide a plug for a hole that doesn't vent.... Perhaps there are some minute holes on the battery that vent into the vent hole?

TampaPrius.com likes this.