1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optimal gas pedal/HSI postions in highway light load scenario

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by briank101, Dec 10, 2012.

1. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my highway portion of my commute consists of very gradual terrain inclines and declines, and my current technique is on the inclines to generally not go beyond the 7/8 point of the HSI (3/4 of the right half) to try maintain above 55 mph and on the gradual declines (or on the flat with a good tail wind) to not go below the 5/8 point of the HSI (right of the O in ECO symbol) even if this causes me to speed up beyond say 70 mph, as I feel I am then covering maximum distance at the most efficient engine operating point, and I don't wish to enter the less efficient low load area left of this. Compared to just gliding and pulsing to maintain say 60 mph versus keeping the gas pedal at the 5/8 optimum HSI point and going up to 70+mph, how much of a difference in terms of fuel consumption is there between the two "gradual decline" strategies? If it is very little difference, the slight extra amount of fuel used for the travel time saved could be worth it, plus the extra momentum of the higher speed gets me up the next incline more. Also, other traffic will appreciate it, as they also tend to go faster on the downhills. I may also likely be in the "IGN" =14 SHM that I believe I read somewhere. If I recall any P&G type techniques above 47 mph (as in glide from 65 down to 55 and pulse back up to 60 while still on the decline) are likely not as beneficial as performing this below 47 mph.

walter Lee likes this.
  2. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to add: On the commute above a technique I use is to set the CC to 55 mph, whilst also keeping the gas pedal position such that it is initially shows 5/8 pt on the HSI, then the CC kicks in to maintain speed on the slight inclines without me having to move my foot and on the declines, the car speeds up to whatever speed the 5/8 point will produce, all while keeping the physical gas pedal (not the HSI) at a fixed position.

walter Lee likes this.
  3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do something similar with trying to keep the accelerator in certain sections of the gas bar. However, once I'm up to speed on the declines, I'll try to "glide" instead of building up more speed. My logic is that the wind resistance will decrease my overall mpgs as I increase my speed beyond 60 mph, so I try to use gravity to take me to 60 mph.

My dilema is when I'm going down a decent grade and my gliding will take me to 65 mph+. Do I glide to 65 mph and continue to glide down to 60 mph or glide to 60 mph and hold 60 mph by removing my foot from the gas pedal to maintain 60 mph and add a little back to the battery. I don't know which is the best for efficiency.

4. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is more fuel efficient to allow the Prius go faster on the downhill on its own momentum than to slow it down with the regen brakes. Aerodynamic Drag loss is not as bad as the energy loss caused by converting the mechanical energy of the wheel into electricity. If the Prius going over 65 mph - safety should be the primary factor in limitig speed and using the brakes:cautious: ; the second factor would be avoiding getting a speeding citation/violation. :rolleyes:

Codyroo likes this.
  5. <=|KamiHikoki|=>

<=|KamiHikoki|=> New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ thread starter

Thank you.

good tricks in details, for tyre inflation, how much did you inflate?

6. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll refine your technique as you learn where you can gain speed and maintain speed on the highway.

The HSI is a good guide for pulse and glide; however, the pulse zone (3/4 to 4/4 of the HSI) is not the most efficient zone for maintaining speed; it is the most efficient zone for increasing speed. (I've generalised a bit.)

At 55mph (88km/h) the best place might be just over the 1/2 mark of the HSI. The only way to tell is to use a Scangauge, Garmin ecorouteHD, etc. that shows you the instantaneous mpg, ignition timing, etc. If IGN is right, you could almost maintain 55 mph with iMPG of 90 mpg for short periods.
    For example, I look at the instantaneous fuel consumption and if I'm in the range 2.0-3.5l/100km (120 - 68 mpg) and travelling at 80-110km/h (50-70 mph) then the IGN is probably right. You might be almost anywhere on the HSI when that's happening. You may need a pulse to get you back to speed.

If you can avoid cruise control (CC), do so. On most cars using the accelerator supplements the CC, so you can use it before a climb to make up some speed. By contrast the accelerator seems to take over CC on the Prius, so the pre-climb acceleration works, but the CC doesn't take over while the accelerator is depressed.
    Also, CC will apply regen on downhills, which is nice when you really want to keep to the speed limit. However, you often want to build speed for the next climb.

Assuming that you want to use CC, you may want to select PWR mode before a steep climb. In PWR mode CC tries to maintain the set speed, dropping slightly before accelerating. HSI may enter the PWR zone doing this.
    In ECO mode, the speed can drop 10km/h (6mph) below the set speed, at which time all available power is dumped to the road to restore normal service, as the PWR zone of the HSI glows red hot. I'd suggest that CC with PWR mode left to its own devices on a steep hill is better than CC with ECO mode left to its own devices. If you need to get up the slope at the speed limit and on CC, use PWR mode. (Switch to ECO mode as you level out or descend.)
    Note: This is not the most efficient way up the mountain, it is just quick and convenient.

And not using CC is better than both.