1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optimal Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Emad, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Emad

Emad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Good morning/afternoon/night.

I checked the optimal tire pressure for the Prius on Toyota website, it was 36. But when I search on this forum I found that a good percentage of people is using 41 or 42.
    Isn't this pressure make the car ride not comfortable specially on bad surfaced roads?

Also, do the TPMS has minimum tire pressure that makes it always on ? I mean it keep displaying the icon after you reset it but the pressure is not enough?

skirmish likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    manufacturers 'recommended' tyre pressure. people here run higher to improve mpg's, not comfort.

understanding your issue about ride comfort from your other thread, you should stay with mfg recommendation. check the driver door jamb for a sticker with tyres pressures.

skirmish and Emad like this.
  3. Emad

Emad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That clears a lot. thanks.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.(y)

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would add that the wheel size (15 inch vs 17 inch) plus tire size and brand makes a big difference in comfort level with higher pressures. In general, 15-inch tires are much more forgiving of higher pressures, comfort is maintained.

To your second point, there should be a TPMS reset button under the steering wheel that will reset the "set point" of the TPMS warning. After filling the tires to your desired pressures, you should reset the TPMS so that it properly warns of pressure loss from where you want it.

Emad likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is an excerpt from the 2010 North American Owner's Manual, likely applicable to your vehicle:

upload_2016-10-18_7-53-12.png

^ This is something you want to do to reset the pressure the TPMS system uses as a base line. And whenever you're not really sure what it's set to, and/or it seems to go off even though the tires have good pressure.

Again, with same disclaimers as above, from the tire pressure specifications page:

upload_2016-10-18_8-0-13.png

These are excerpts from a pdf format manual. You can download these manuals; use a Google search string: "Toyota Techinfo" should find the site* . Click on the Manuals Tab, then you can enter your info, see what pdf's are available:

upload_2016-10-18_8-5-0.png

(* My browser is currently warning "there is a problem with this site's certificate", but there is no problem. Maybe Toyota should look into it though, lol)

Here's a direct link to the site:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&contextType=external&username=string&password=sercure_string&challenge_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%2FtechInfoPortal%2Flogin%2Ftechinfo&request_id=-9098452030890087109&authn_try_count=0&locale=en_US&resource_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.techinfo.toyota.com%252F

skirmish, orlywon and Emad like this.