1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options for a Four or Five?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WE0H, Feb 27, 2011.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears the CT 200h is on the Matrix platform, same wheelbase and similar other dimensions. IDK, the Prius has been my choice since seeing the first Gen 3 last year. This is getting complicated :(

Mike

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got off the phone with the wife, she asks what is the detailed reason a solar roof/moon roof can't be an option for the Five. She didn't like that I said the forum guys said it was not possible.
    She asked why not? :confused:

Mike

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh no, not again lol. I only say that because this was talked about to death when the Gen III package information was released 2 years ago. Basically Toyota's reason is the solar/sun roof weighs alot and that coupled with the added weight of the 17" rims, tires etc is simply too much.

I think it may have something to do with that, and also they didn't want to release a Prius that when loaded would close in near the $37,000 price range including taxes, extra fees etc...

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Mark ;) I called her and read the question & answer to her and she said to post that she didn't like that answer :blah: Imagine that? Oh well, most times a guy can't have everything they want, so life goes on. She can buy a Four for for herself :violin: I get the Five :nod:

tnx,
    Mike

6. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm with you mike go for the five, stand your ground on this one! I just don't see the need for a solar roof here in Minnesota summer or winter.
    The five is #1 in my book:D

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly what I told her about the solar roof. The sun angle is too low up this far north for it to be of great use. We are driving a Prius II this week, she is out in it now heading to one of her meetings. She is so sold on the car that it is silly seeing the grin on her face every time she gets to drive one :p And we play the spot the Prius game on every trip :D Getting closer to 2012...can't wait to get my own.

BTW, where about in MN are you? We are just a few miles north of Anoka. Today I am in Detroit though, warmer over here :) Coming back home Saturday. A bit over 1900 miles driving the rental Prius this week so far.

Mike

8. Dubs

Dubs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The solar roof is just a gimmick in my opinion. If I can't leave my dog in the car without it suffocating then what is the use?

9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry - where is that written? I have checked the Toyota.com website and found no reference whatsoever about a special power steering motor or better/different shocks/springs for the Five. I have seen other PC users refer to this, without any documented reference, about these differences.

Regarding the fuel consumption, the Toyota.com does not mention any difference in the mpg between models with 15" or 17" wheels. In the EU websites, there is a +0.1L/100km difference on all fuel consumption estimates (city, suburban, combined).

10. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Turning radius: Toyota Prius - 2011 Performance & Specifications

As for the more powerful brushless steering motor on Prius V/Five, i heard/read this on this forum. Apparently, the factory repair manual mentions this. And with this "improved" motor, the lock-to-lock is a full turn less...thus, the V/Five's quicker ratio steering is sportier. I actually have the repair manual on CD at home...so, i will try and look it up.

As for the unique shock/spring on Prius V/Five, I started this. :D All you need to do is call your local Toyota dealership Part's department. You will get the same answer i got from 3 different dealerships around me. See this post by me: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...n/83242-package-v-question-3.html#post1164529

Both the shocks and springs are unique on Prius with 17" rims...aka Prius V/Five here in USA.

Another member mentioned that when put side by side, if you press on the Five's front bumper one side, there is less bounce/rebound on the Five vs. the Two-Four. I have not had the chance to confirm this.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Originally we were given that information by the "Prius Team" who posted on here quite a bit around the time the gen3 was introduced.

It is also mentioned in the maintenance manual, two types are referred to, the motor used in the V is called the "brushless type steering motor". I believe it was required due to the faster steering ratio of the V, the brushless motor reportedly has more power.

I just checked the alignment specifications and the V has slightly different specifications for all of the parameters. I believe this fact and Thai's part numbers indicate the V has some suspension differences.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am guessing the Prius Five struts have a higher dampening rate which would be better with the shorter aftermarket springs? Anyone know the spec's?

Mike

13. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    xxxxxxxxxx

1 person likes this.
  14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius can have a rough road package? :eek: That'd come in handy in Detroit. Huge holes & ruts here.

Mike

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To clarify, the only information given to us by the Prius Team was with regard to brushless EPS and tighter lock-to-lock number in the V but they still maintained that all the trims use the same European-tuned suspension. The "different part number" suspension was discovered by Thai et al. through research but this isn't a real indication that it's better.

16. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yup, that is why i have never said that the V's suspension was better, but that it is UNIQUE among the Prius models.

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, but by saying "The V has unique suspensions" you're giving people the impression that they're somehow better.

18. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe i should have a link to Webster Dictionary in my signature?? :p

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're correct, but it still gives people (even the OP) a false impression. It might still be true that the V's suspensions are in fact better but the only evidence pointing to this is circumstantial.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, just say the Prius V/Five has superior suspension components for better handling :)

Mike