1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options for Broken Rear Garnish Fasteners?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by acadiaphile, Apr 17, 2016.

1. SteveZ

SteveZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had only one bolt and the two plastic pins holding my garnish onto the vehicle - the plastic holding the other three bolts had snapped off. I can vouch for the strength of JB Weld to repair this. I used KwikWeld (sets in 6 minutes, cures in 4-6 hours) to initially secure the broken plastic pieces, then a generous amount of regular JB Weld (sets in 4-6 hours, cures in 15-24 hours) to reinforce and also bond the screws to the plastic. The garnish mounted rock-solid, and I didn't have to waste money on a replacement garnish at an inflated price. Thanks for the writeup!

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found this thread and recently encountered the same issue. Your assertion unfairly places blame on the owner - my garnish piece broke in a single lift of the hatch. There was no looseness to the part prior to lifting - and before you attempt to place blame for putting too much strain on the garnish instead of the hatch release, it should be noted that this was in the course of lifting the hatch using the hatch release (which bent).

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't really argue with you on that....I know that everytime I lift the hatch, I take a deep breath and say a little prayer. :whistle:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Using one of the previous 2-part epoxy repair pictures: I would advocate to put a second coat of epoxy over the joint, extening further. That extra skin reinforces things I think:

upload_2018-11-4_10-54-42.png

This is the stuff I picked up recently, basically a lifetime supply. Not sure how it compares to JB Weld, it's more-or-less clear, generous size bottles, easy to work with:

upload_2018-11-4_10-57-9.png

5. Mr. Treadwell

Mr. Treadwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up eventually drilling extra bolt holes through the door itself to provide extra anchoring around the cracked off mounting points of the plastic clips.

Not the prettiest of solutions - but the only visible damage is to the garnish itself (a few visible bolts). I had tried a few different adhesive solutions previously with no luck.

On a particularly cold day the garnish just came to pieces - and seems pretty much a silly thing to try and continue to repair.

I've seen replacement kits with an extra metal backing piece. Thinking of trying this next. Anyone tried it - and how did it go?

Torquewrench likes this.
  6. 1s2k

1s2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anyone replace their rear garnish recently? I'm about to order one from eBay that includes a metal reinforcement.
    Also, what's the recommended procedure to remove and reinstall the Toyota emblem?