1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options for discharged hv battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Solerno, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So I pulled my HV battery out of my 2002 to replace a couple modules. In the time that it took me replace them, put the battery in, and then fix other problems that arose, I believe the HV battery may have drained too far down.

I no longer have any codes coming up. The screen was showing battery at about 50%, but after a couple tries and then waiting an hour, the battery level shows 25%.

Does this sound like a discharged HV battery?

If so, what are the options? I called the dealer, they said if I have it towed in, they will have to run some tests, and then get have the regional charger checked out. Would the Prolong charger work by hybridautomotive?

Thanks in advance!

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it would, if the battery will take and hold a charge. It's a kind of spendy proposition, tho, and a word of caution: the battery may charge up but set a code because the cells didn't charge evenly--a red triangle of death type code. In this case, you need to discharge it again and then recharge it. And it may take several of the cycles to balance out.

I guess I would strongly suggest that you call Hybrid Automotive and discuss this with them.

Sorry for your troubles.

Raytheeagle and Solerno like this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a charger of any kind?
    Else you can build one with LED DC power supplies.
    Or repurpose a different power supply from other equipment like electrophoresis machine.
    Or buy a prebuilt charger from hybrid automotive.
    Or take it to the dealer to charge up.
    Or if feeling especially dangerous, jump start it from another gen1 Prius. ( You can easily kill yourself this way if not careful)

If car does not start up on first try, you only have 3 to 5 more attempts before the battery is driven too low to be able to start the car.

4. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be a bad idea to go ahead and retrofit the 1st gen battery with newer 3rd gen modules or even buy a new one from the dealer. The original 1st gen modules are pretty much used up at this point. I went through 10 complete cores before I was able to get just 4 good modules. And when I say good, I mean they at least had some capacity left. Barely usable is probably a more accurate description. 4 out of 380 modules!

5. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for your responses, guys! I am thinking more and more that I should just break down and buy a new pack with how much trouble and tine this one is giving me.

What are y'alls thoughts on this one?
    2001-2003 Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery,

It's cheaper than buying a bunch of modules and installing them myself..unless someone knows where I can buy 38 for a reasonable price.

6. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    And Eric, I do not have a charger. How long would one of the first options you gave take?

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've suggested them before. The other pack they offer is rebuilt with much newer elements, runs $1950, and has a 3 year warranty. That's the one I would choose, probably worth the extra $900,

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rather than posting a wall of text, just give me a call and I'll talk through some ideas with you.

Unsafe way is quick and likely cost less money.
    More safety takes more time and/or money.