1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options/opinions for 2008 Toyota Prius that needs new battery in New England

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Emdq, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Emdq

Emdq New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

I recently was away for 3 weeks and my 2008 prius was not driven (bad, I know now). Now that I'm back, all error lights are on, right rear vent is blowing, and car is occasionally not accelerating at all. Replaced the 12v battery to no avail.

I took it to a local mechanic that works on Toyotas and they said the hybrid battery needs to be replaced (which I suspected). They are quoting me $2600 for a Toyota battery that isn't new, but has had replaced cells and is "essentially new". It would have a 1 year warranty.

I've looked online and could get Priuskings to replace it for $1200, but I'm not convinced they are legitimate, or that what they put in wouldn't die in 3 months (though they offer a lifetime guarantee for $99, there would still be service charges at each replacement).

Is $2600 a reasonable cost? It sounds high, but I'm sure it would be higher at a dealer. Is a battery with replaced cells still going to run as long? Or is there anywhere else in the eastern CT area that might be able to replace it?

Thanks for any advice, I never had to replace this on my last prius.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nimh batteries in the hybrid battery pack self-discharge when sitting unused for a long time. With older packs, some of those modules will discharge faster than others which created the warning lights and the car going into safe mode with fan running.

If you lived near me I'd put a high voltage trickle charger like the one Maxx Volts and Hybrid Automotive sell to fully charge & balance your modules and you'd still get lots of life out of your existing pack. And if you want to save money you could build your own high voltage trickle charger for $100: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

The mechanic is prematurely suggesting a brand new pack because that's the easiest and least amount of hassle for him. Whoever PriusKings are, they rebuild old hybrid batteries in the same way GreenBean and GreenTec and others do and if you have that $99 warranty they'll replace the pack for you sometime in the 3 months to 3 years when it goes bad.

The price mechanic quoted you for a new OEM battery pack is a fair price. However, for a slightly lower price you could get an upgraded Lithium pack that will give you better MPG, longer distance in EV mode, max AC power during heat waves, and you won't drop down to one bar when mountain climbing at the top of the mountain, you'll only be at three bars and won't be stuck in the slow lane. Also if you buy one using my affiliate link, I can offer unlimited tech support to your mechanic and you: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

Simbaboy likes this.
  3. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Emdq I don't think $2600 is a good price for a reconditioned (old cells) HV pack. If you want to take a chance on a recon pack you can get a much better price. I don't recommend a used pack at all, I think a new pack is the only way to go, but many may have a different opinion. Please find out how much Toyota would charge you for a brand new pack or as @PriusCamper said look at the new Projectlithium pack.

There are lots of posts here on PC regarding reconditioned packs or how to recondition yourself if you don't mind the downtime and labor involved. Spend some time educating yourself before making this purchase whichever way you decide to go. It will be time well spent.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look on eBay for hybrid doctor out of VA. He'll send you a balanced rack for 650.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call some dealers for new pack prices. his is reconditioned and not new. won't last much beyond the one year warranty

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you want to go new......$2,600 is not bad for a NEW PACK. INSTALLED. BUt for a USED PACK? nope. If you are going to replace the pack AT ALL. I would want to keep the car for a least 2 years to get a good return on my investment. But that is me. WHat are your plans for this car and what value does keeping it on the road offer....YOU? Will you pass it down to a child or friend someday? Then Keep it...go NEW and drive for another 10 years.