1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options to replace 2014 stereo/touch screen, and backup camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kemmis, Aug 7, 2019.

1. kemmis

kemmis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think there is an Android-based unit out there that might be an option, but I’m asking around to see if I can find anything better. Right now the factory stereo has the oldschool matt touch screen and the thing runs pretty slow as far as touch response goes. It would be nice to have something brighter, with a slick digitizer screen, the is responsive like a modern phone. And would love the backup cam video to be more usable. It looks pretty terrible right now.

Any suggestions on what I can upgrade to?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There are kits to let you hang a generic aftermarket double-DIN receiver, and there’s a zillion choices of those. I suggest browsing Crutchfield.

Unfortunately that won’t do much for your rear vision camera- weather exposure tends to do them in. Consider switching that to a generic aftermarket if only for the low cost of subsequent replacements.

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Having pressed too hard cleaning the screen, I am unfortunately in the market as well.

I've seen the zillion choices, but how do you locate one that will: (1) fit perfectly in the opening, with trim that will make it look OEM and not like some add-on; and (2) steering wheel controls work -- at least track/channel up/down.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The usual way is by way of a plastic bracket, custom molded for your year/model/trim on the outside, with inner dimensions to match the standardized double-DIN receiver. Metra makes and sells these for many, many cars.

You should understand that double-DIN refers to a technical standard for dimensions: ISO 7736.

For steering wheel controls, many receivers have an input reserved for this function. However, translation is required between the car and the stereo. Several companies make the translator boxes. You pick the right one, wire it the right way, tape it in somewhere behind the faceplate and forget about it. It just works.

None of it is rocket surgery. It’s all been solved, you can get local pro help if you want or let a DIY supplier like Crutchfield or Amazon set you up with the parts.

#4 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Ed Beaty likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Screen was that dirty?! o_O