1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ordered new 2012 Prius III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sal's Pride, Mar 30, 2012.

1. sal's Pride

sal's Pride Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After six great years of driving my 2006 Black/grey interior prius III and getting awesome milage (six year acerage 48.95mpg) in Chicago, I ordered my new 2012 Prius III. The new three has navigation which some poeple (including my wife) say I should have. I ordered the solar sunroof which I think is awesome. I also ordred the performance rear corning bar. My 2006 has that hop at corners and according to specs this enhancement should make the cornmers flatter. I am shifting from black, (which I enhjoyed but it did take some time to get it looking good) to the new blue with beige interior.

I have three questions. First, the III package does not come with home link. The dealer wants $595 to install one with compass. What is the thoughts of this discussion group about that? I really want the link, but because of the solar roof it is not offered in the III unit.

Secondly, you have to go with the IV to get leather like seats and that package will set you back $5,000 with the extras I like, so I will have them install the leather /heated seats from the dealer. Since I have beige interior, should I go with the factory match which is avaialable or tool it up? I was thinking of brown leather, but I am having second thoughts. Blue with brown against the beige/black seems like a fine combination. But it may cheapen the look.

The last question is how does this new model drive? Will I notice any difference in handling or gas milage?

I also ordred the led door sills, mats, and trunk storage.
    This car is a jump from my 2006 with blooetooth, premuim sound and cloth seats.
    I welcome any comments.:)

2. gsodonis

gsodonis Recent Hybrid Convert

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless you absolutely need to fold the cost of the leather into your payment, find an independent installer. My delaer wanted $1495 for Katzkins plus $650 for seat heaters. The local tint/leather guy just up the street (who has tinted Lamorghini's, so he does great work) quoted me $1000 installed for the exact same Katzkins. Heated seats are $399 by themselves or $250 if ordered at the same time as leather.

So, leather & heat at the dealer: $2145 plus tax
    Lether & heat two blocks away from dealer: $1250

The math leads me to recommend the independent shop.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get a IV to get the power seats. Especially if you do a lot of miles. I find the III seats impossible to adjust for comfort. There's a conversation about the uncomfortable seats you can read through.

Also the 7" display which will give you XMNavTraffic via the XM radio. The 6" display in the III requires you to use your phones internet data connection for Nav traffic. Depending on your cell carriers data plans this can be expensive. Depending on cell carriers coverage, the Internet Traffic can be problematic.

Its a big jump in price though and the III with Solar roof/Nav package is probably the most cost effective of the Prius models in terms of features and price.