1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ordering @2K1toaster’s new HV replacement pack with cylinder modules.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robc921, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just a heads up,
    I’m ordering a @2k1Toaster’s brand new replacement pack with the 14 cylinder modules for my 2010 Prius. I’m excited to be able to edit this post as I was able to stop my previous order of an inferior pack and am now going to be getting one of @2k1Toaster ’s and will post once it’s received and during installation. I’m excited about the upgrade!!!

#1 Robc921, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    jerrymildred and jimontheocean like this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Who you talking about?

If they use the CEBA plastics (like we do) then they work in lots of vehicles. We only stock the Gen-2 and Gen-3 Prius packs plus a couple Camry packs right now for testing. But the batteries themselves are all the same.

3. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello 2ktoaster , I’ve been trying to get ahold of you to go with your product !!! but no one has gotten back to me!! Anyways I’m
    Hoping the business I found is legit and I actually get a good working battery,,, hence the post . The website which I can’t post is aaabrandnewhybridbattery dot com . But yea that’s the jest of my understanding of these packs. Do you guys get your modules from ceba and then distribute them here? Or do you guys actually manufacture your own here in the states?

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not the same at all. Our modules are custom made and we use their plastics.

5. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well damn it!!! What can I say I’ve been reaching out and I wanted to go with you guys, but the wheels are turning already now. May I ask what is the difference? How do you custom make a module?? And are you guys just swamped with orders at this point?? Are there beta testing possibilities in the future??

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've just gone through the emails, I see you did contact us, less than a day ago and again early thismorning. It is a weekend, and it has been a day.

The difference is in the batteries. The plastics are the same because you can't really screw up plastics and they make good kits. The batteries are crap. This is well documented. This is why we exist. We buy standard cells from a large factory and weld them together ourselves including PVC wrap and lasering. We MAKE the batteries.

We do have lots of orders, and get more and more all the time. Each month, it goes up. There's nothing to beta test, our batteries have been working for a few years now installed.

But none of this matters for you, because our batteries share absolutely nothing in common with those cheap packs other than the plastics.

jimontheocean likes this.
  7. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok well I thought I reached out to you on here like a week ago when I realized I was gonna have to pull the trigger on this. But I may be mistaken. If so apologies. But now you’ve got me nervous about my purchase,,, hmm I can’t go back on it now. You said those batteries are crap and it’s well documented. I wish I would’ve come across that info. Just out of curiosity what makes the “cheap pack “ I got so inferior? Do you know how long my lesser pack will last. Man I’m kind of bummed.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry if I didn't see it. I try to respond to most messages within a day, but the past few weeks have been less than normal.

There were as of 3 years ago only 2 companies producing Prius capable NiMH packs apart from PrimeEarth themselves. That was CEBA and YABO. They've been around since the mid 2000's. There were a bunch of reviews that came out in the 2007-2010 range from "whoa, this is awesome" to "my pack is dead". Yabo makes the prismatic look-alikes, CEBA makes the cylinders.

When my Prius needed a new pack, I didn't want to buy one from the dealer (PrimeEarth) and I wasn't going to install crap. So that's why NewPriusBatteries.com exists. Since there is nothing you can do about your purchase now, might as well install it and get 2 to 3 years (hopefully more) out of it.

What makes them inferior is the battery itself. Most of them have 2Ah to 3Ah of capacity when brand new. This is in contrast to the 6.5Ah that it should be. They are marked/labelled 6.5Ah (or even 8Ah!!!!) ontop, but aren't. Ours are marked 6.5Ah and ARE 6.5Ah. That's the point. Capacity itself is not important day-to-day with the Prius unless you routinely go down a mountain (which I do actually). But eventually the capacity gets low enough to cause issues. The higher your starting capacity the longer it is before problems pop up that are capacity related.

Ideally, you want infinite capacity but the problem is there are different chemistries available to get different energy densities. The tradeoff in density is cycles. 6.5Ah in the form factor we have, is basically as high as you can get without sacrificing cycles. We could make a 20Ah cell, that's easy. And you would go much much longer before capacity problems make issues. But you will start having series resistance and intra-module cell balancing issues before that.

The balance between cell capacity and life expectancy was figured out by Toyota and it works pretty well. So we stuck to the same recipe.

donbright likes this.
  9. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That’s very insightful I appreciate the thoughtful response. Damn, yea I can see how that would be a inferior product. If the mah is actually 1/2 of what it’s supposed to be!! Is there a way for me to safely test the capacity of these cylinder modules once I have received them? I have a 4 port hobby charger made by ev-peak . Could I run a discharge cycle on all of the cylinders first to see where they’re really at ? Can I do it safely with one of those hobby chargers? One way or the other I know where I’m getting my next battery!!! Eeesh hopefully these last a few years, or maybe if I can safely test the capacities and if they aren’t what they sold me maybe I can try to get a refund??? You are very knowledgeable in this subject, are you an engineer by trade?

10. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey @2k1Toaster ,
    It turns out I was able to stop the ball rolling!!! I’m going to get one of yours!! Tell me what I need to do

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use a battery capacity and simulation meter, a Keithley 2281S. Nowadays you can get them used for around $2.5k. Using that, yes you would run a few charge/discharge cycles and test the capacity. There is a dude on Youtube who did it with a cheap instrument and posted the results. We aren't affiliated with him at all. His cheap meter read 6.4Ah I believe which isn't too bad for a cheap meter. I believe our more expensive calibrated meter though...

Yes I am an engineer by degree in multiple disciplines, and an engineer in other areas by learning on the go. I have done (and do) work on HEV and BEV vehicles along with the battery packs.

All you have to do is place an order on the website and a battery pops out the other side in a few days to your house. You should get emails along the way automatically. Do whatever makes you comfortable. Either way, it is good to keep another Prius on the road.

MrPete, jimontheocean and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Jim Hearn

Jim Hearn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well after trying to salvage my old battery i have decided to just go your route. Salvaging meaning cleaning terminals etc and checking if it would make a difference. I am going with your battery from newpriusbatteies Cant wait to get to old girl back on the road.Im sure the battery can be reconditioned and the one cell that's reading lower that the rest i rather just put a new one in and move on to the next project on the list

13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Just a dumb question...what do people typically do with their old battery? Sell it?

Thanks!

14. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I guess that depends on what you want to do,,, I’m going to offer mine up and see what I can get. The thing is mine has 3 blocks that are out of balance with the rest. I’ve tried to recondition the pack and the balancing has proved tricky. I only have hobby chargers abs it seems like no matter what that after a while they go out if balance again. But the pack is healthy minus block 6, 7, 8 and am definitely looking to sell after I receive my new battery.

15. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Those 3 "blocks" are worn out and are not "holding a charge" like they did when new.
    Others likely will soon follow.
    Totally expected behavior........at some point.

16. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hence the the newpriusbatteries purchase. I wonder though based on threads and multiple postings, why bother with replacing those bocks anyways if the solution your looking for is long term. I must not understand part of the reconditioning/ balancing process. It seems to me that to actually match modules and balance the pack correctly is very difficult. And only a short term solution. Thoughts? Experiences?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are correct. proper rebuilding by a qualified individual can buy you some time, but not like all new cells if you looking long term with no hassles

18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. Exactly.
    But it depends on how BAD they are when you start the process.
    If some cells have already gone past the point of just being a little weak to being VERY weak, then the solution might be VERY short term.
    The key to a really good result seems to be to start early while everything is still relatively healthy.
    But if you do that, you likely will still be in your HV battery warranty period and that doesn't seem like a good thing to be doing either.

19. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, that’s what I thought, good to have my suspicions confirmed by the wiser more experienced chatters here. I don’t get it though, why is there such a market for “rebuilt/remanufactured/reconditioned “ batteries. And they’re frickin expensive. Call me crazy but 1000$ should yield a long term solution not short term!

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well that's about a half or a third of what a new one costs.
    For some, price is the ONLY consideration and long term planning means next week.