1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oregon legalizes gasoline self-service

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fuzzy1, Aug 6, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    States are the laboratories of Democracy but sometimes experiments blow up like in Alabama: https://www.splcenter.org/news/2021/06/25/cruel-legacy-alabama-anti-immigrant-law-remembered

The state had just enacted what lawmakers proudly proclaimed the nation’s toughest anti-immigrant law, one that “attacks every aspect” of an undocumented immigrant’s life. The Beason-Hammon Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act – better known as House Bill 56 (HB 56) – was modeled after an Arizona law that granted police the authority to demand “papers” demonstrating citizenship or legal status during routine traffic stops. HB 56 was signed into law by Gov. Robert Bentley on June 9, 2011.
    . . .
    “This is still the law, but not one employer has been prosecuted,” he said. “So, Alabama goes through all these hoops, but not one constituent has enforced it. We look away from the employer and instead go for the ‘little people.’ The law didn’t work then, and it’s still not working today.”
    . . .
    Industries dependent on migrant labor were dealt a severe blow. Farmers could not fill the void created by the loss of workers who had once plowed fields and planted crops, which were now rotting and threatening the state’s economy.

“What happened is that we became an unwelcoming state; that’s what we gained,” Rubio said. “And for any legislature that says we can ‘scare’ immigrants away, I challenge them to go to any chicken plant, any landscaping plant, and you’ll find undocumented workers.”

Then, as now, immigrants also helped fill high-demand jobs in health care, technology and other specialized industries in the state and around the country.
    . . .

Then there was the first Liberal:

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Some of us try to follow the teachings of Jesus. Others are Southern Baptists.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i was just reading about juan bizzaro

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NPR, 8/8/2023: He was a top church official who criticized Trump. He says Christianity is in crisis

Re: Russell Moore, formerly one of the top officials in the Southern Baptist Convention, now the editor-in-chief of the Christianity Today magazine.

"On why he thinks Christianity is in crisis:

It was the result of having multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — "turn the other cheek" — [and] to have someone come up after to say, "Where did you get those liberal talking points?" And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, "I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ," the response would not be, "I apologize." The response would be, "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak." And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis."

See also:
    https://nypost.com/2023/08/09/former-top-evangelical-church-official-laments-christians-who-think-jesus-quotes-are-liberal-talking-points/
    Christianity Today Editor: Evangelicals Call Jesus “Liberal” and “Weak” | The New Republic
    Evangelicals Are Now Rejecting 'Liberal' Teachings of Jesus

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmmm... is Christianity in a crisis, or has it always been that some understand and accept the teachings of the Lord, and others simply pay lip service for their own selfish reasons?
    the cross is a burden most can't bear.
    for example: the pharisee and the publican, luke 18: 9-14

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."
    Matt 7:21- (ESV)

"Works versus Faith" seems to be a pretty big deal in Christianity, and even for those who not believe in the "Accidental Universe" theory, there's more than one flavor out there even within Christianity - as excellently illustrated above.
    The Christian Bible is replete with examples of really REALLY bad rulers doing good things, and some good ones doing bad.

If one has questions or doubts, THIS probably isn't a good place to light a candle for illumination.
    Too much bio-fuel wafting about.....

I'm a full-throated, Constitution thumping, First Amendments rights kinda guy, but I don't own this pancake house.... ;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thread drift is a thing

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I LOVED full service gas in Oregon. It rains all the time, and it’s so convenient to have it pumped for you.

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been in Oregon past several days. Have yet to find a station doing self-serve.

Probably are some in the big city -- Portland..

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I first found legal self-serve shortly after it was legalized in rural Oregon several years ago. Attendants were still available, but we had the choice to pump without them.

I inadvertently did self-service back in the '90s, when I absentmindedly forgot that I was in Oregon, and all the attendants were very busy over at the main island, ignoring the side island where I went to get an open pump. Neither they nor I woke up to the situation until I went inside to pay, seriously confusing the inside convenience store clerk.

Maybe it helps to have in-state plates. ;)

11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had MidWest plates for several years...
    Kris

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Was Oregon going to require attendants for EV chargers if no self serve was kept?

I grew up in NJ, and have seen enough little dribbles from attendants in a hurry to figure the waste and pollution really adds up. A teaspoon with your fill may not seem like much, but the amount it multiplied over thousands of fills.

bisco likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  14. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just back in Washington state, after an extended (week and a half) trip to visit relatives in Oregon. Bought gas or was in the car when gasoline was bought three times.

Saw no evidence that "self-serve" was a thing. The pump jockeys were still pumping the gas and the drivers were not getting out of their vehicles. This was small town stations. Don't know about any stations along I-5....I always get out of the car when buying gas. Just gives me a chance to stretch my legs, but I never touched the pump last week.